Who Ya Gonna Call? Ghost Hunters & Hunting

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
That was a good night! .. I was the only person who didn't suffer any physical side effects, the lady and our host both had on and off headaches and the other two fellas both independently complained to me about having a sore right shoulder which was odd as neither of them had been doing any heavy lifting.

We didn't use the laser or candles, apparently there's less or no activity when people do that at this place, we spent most of the time in total darkness other than the light from the two night vision cameras, I just used my camera to get atmospheric silhouette shots that we can edit in later .. most of the evening was uneventful, all sorts of weird things happened in the last hour or so but it's nearly 3am now so I'll write about it here tomorrow ..

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
My wife and I along with 8 others did an investigation of Beechworth Lunatic Asylum two weekends ago. We didn't have camera gear aside from our phones but had EMF meters, spirit boxes, laser grids and a few other pieces of equipment to try to capture any activity.
The asylum itself is huge with hundreds of rooms. There were nurses quarters, dormitories for boys and girls as well as men and women. Bathrooms and shower blocks scattered throughout the numerous buildings, offices, pharmacies, storerooms, a mortuary, kitchens, dining rooms etc.
A number of moving shadows were spotted by people investigating with us and the EMF meters were reacting madly and this was in building where power had been disconnected.
Our guide took us to the most (reported) active areas and we had many responses to questions with light meters reacting in reply. We had no great success with EVPs.
Over 3000 people died here and it is reputed to be one of Australia's most haunted locations. I didn't get a feeling of sadness or despair as is often reported by those who investigate here. That being said, it was fascinating to spend the evening here. Here's an assortment of images...
beechworth1.jpg
The outside of the juvenile male's recreation room. A place where many sexual assaults and rapes took place.
beechworth2.jpg
Hallway leading out of the recreation room.
beechworth3.jpg
A typical nurses room.
beechworth4.jpg
Withing 5 seconds of taking this all of the lights illuminated in response to a question we asked.
beechworth5.jpg
Graffiti on the walls.
beechworth6.jpg
Bloody hand print in the attic.
beechworth7.jpg
EMF meters setup in an active hallway.
beechworth8.jpg
Where troublesome patients would be locked in.
beechworth9.jpg
Exterior shot.
beechworth10.jpg
EMF goes berserk. Remember, all electricity in this building has been disconnected.

Swifty

I've had a chance to re watch all that I was able to record, we spent most of the time in total darkness bar the light from two other night vision cameras. Two of our crew had on and off headaches, two others had a painful right shoulder or numbness in their hands .. I didn't get any physical symptoms.

The night started off pretty uneventful, an orb seen on camera here, a knocking sound heard there, the two headache sufferers also reporting feeling cold breezes sometimes on their faces. I scoped the place at first, testing for creaky floor boards, seating areas and anything else that might make a sound but I couldn't find anything.

Things started getting a bit more interesting after 10pm, a few of us heard a woman's voice sigh and later say "yeah", I and another could see pin pricks of light by the alter, after a request from the key holder and our 'tour leader' to "make us jump", the latch on the closed church door made a loud clack sound. Not long after this, a loose camera battery belonging to the tour leader managed to noisily land by our feet, no one near it at the time, it had travelled about 3ft.

Our tour leader occasionally mentioned hearing a female voice but couldn't make out what it was saying, I couldn't hear any of this stuff. The highlight of the night was our last vigil in the small side room vestry, 5 of us huddled in there. The EMF meter remained unresponsive all night and all except the tour leader's and my batteries had drained at this point. I/we then distinctly heard an unmistakable man's mumbling voice, twice, from the inaccessible bell tower. The church is in a pretty remote location but I suppose it's possible someone could have been outside although no windows were open and the walls are pretty thick for sound to have travelled like that. It was impressively loud.

We left about 12:30 as we still had an hour and a half to travel back home which was a shame because we all got the feeling things were starting to get interesting. Hopefully we'll be able to go back there.

Swifty

Sounds great Swifty :)
I've been chatting with the main man via facebook today Fridesy, he tells me he has captured the murmuring male voice .. sweet .. he'll be uploading it soon so I can link to it here hopefully (I've asked him to register here, I think this forum's right up his alley) .. here's his Haunted Santon Church facebook page ..

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=haunted santon church&epa=SEARCH_BOX

edit: us lot last night .. murmuring male voice not in this vid, his EVP captures are recorded thus so far as:

1.29. Female. Go !! It doesnt sound like Roseanna but maybe. Strange thing to say,if so. 3.47. F Off !! A Blessing !! :) 4.45 Female. Nooo !!5.31. Here / Hear ? 3.31 Male Unknown ?
7.44 Male. I dont like it !! 9.37. Male. Which one ??

I'm pottering about in the puffa jacket if anyone cares..

Last edited:

Swifty

i couldn't hear any of that, but it does look like a really interesting place, thank you for posting.
Me neither, they're not my notations titch and it is a pretty atmospheric place to hang out at for a couple of hours .. I enjoyed myself anyway :Givingup:

Swifty

Is "Nasty EVPs" your choice of title @Swifty?
Na .. the above video isn't my upload, it's been uploaded by that Eddie fella who's one of the church trustees, he's been investigating the place for 6 years now.

There's meant to be a few different spirits there, the most notorious one being Reverend Kendall who was the rev there and died in the mid 1600's before the church was rebuilt in the 1800's. Kendall was an alcoholic who swore a lot apparently and worse, a lot of investigators have picked up EVP's of a swearing man in the church. A reverend Poley also held services there, he's buried in a crypt outside at the back of the church with his wife Margeret and daughter Mary, both the women are said to make occasional spirit appearances, people don't get 'nasty' EVPs from them. There's also an Edward, a Walter, a Marrianne and others reported to 'visit'.

There's been a church on the sight since the 1300's, talk of prostitutes being murdered by hanging there in the early years, the place was rebuilt in the 1800's for a local tax collector who's thought to be the only person actually buried inside it under an engraved flagstone in the aisle.

On a more humorous note, to get there you have to drive through a dogging site so we did pass a few cars with steamy windows which caused much mirth. My stomach kept rumbling when we were all trying to stay completely quiet which meant I had to keep saying "that was me", typically this would happen just after a question had been asked. I also managed to do a loud fart which was a nice tension breaker.

If anyone fancies meeting up with the trustee, key keeper and investigator Eddie Mallet, send me a pm and I'll pass your details onto him, he doesn't charge anything although it would be polite to chuck some money into the collection box as they clean the place for free other than the cost of materials. We didn't realise this and hadn't taken any money with us but he was perfectly cool about it. You'll just need to be able to get to the Norfolk Suffolk border and pick him up in Brandon, you won't be able to find the place without his guidance .. he's the fella here in the Ferrari jacket, he rocks an infra red camera ..

Last edited:

Swifty

My first upload from Friday night, I'm fairly sure it wasn't me doing sharp intakes of breath at the 0:55 mark (I'm filming so closest to the camera), I was warm in a fleece, puffa jacket and a baseball cap .. this was before the investigation got started, that area is know as one of the 'hotspots' for weirdness .. the most likely explanation is that it was me?

edit: Vixen's just released a teaser .. now all we have to do is edit the fucker ..

I'm wary of 'orbs' .. I've seen some convincing images and video of these things, it's mostly about how they move I've been told although I spotted one fly and one moth go past me that night .. I also saw under torch light large natural dust particles drifting about. I was lightly mocked for taking my hand held battery operated fly zapper while I was being filmed by two night vision cameras but why not? .. I've never seen a ghost investigation video including someone with one before so I thought I'd be the first: someone films me, tells me there's an orb next to me and I twat it with the zapper .. if it's a fly or a large dust particle, both create a small spark when struck .. if I get back home and someone can show me footage of me waving the thing around and an orb floating through it undamaged? .. then we're using some sort of scientific methodology and we might be onto something supernatural.

Last edited:

Swifty

I uploaded clip number 3 last night, I'm climbing up into the pulpit in this clip, I think the strange 'whooshing' sound is the fabric of my jacket rubbing against the wood but there's more of that weird out of breath sounding breathing on this. I didn't feel afraid or out of breath at any time that evening. I've been able to convincingly recreate this sound at home. I haven't reviewed the rest of my clips yet, my crew mate says she's picked up some weird sounds as well ..

Nice shot of a bat flying over on of our crew at 17:20

Here's something that's puzzling me ..

On the day we were to visit, Eddie wrote on our Spit Sprectal homepage that he was looking forward to returning to the place and meeting us because the Church had been empty for a month. On the night, when we were all present inside the Church, we noticed and filmed that the wood panel on the ceiling supposed to seal off the bell tower was slightly askew. I didn't think anything of it at the time, I then watched a video of the previous people being given a ghost session that was uploaded on the 5th of Jan this year .. in their footage, the wood panel is flush with the square entrance hole so it covered the hole completely.

There's no ladder in or outside the church but someone between the beginning of January and the 8th of Feb has moved that wood. I'll be sending a message today to Eddie querying that (as a good Fortean should!), of course it's conceivable that he or one of the others that night used a pole or something similar to move it for some reason. If I'm being uncharitable, the bell tower would have been a perfect place to hide something that could have played back the loud sound of the male voice murmuring twice although that doesn't explain the other weird sounds that night I heard. I also looked underneath everything I could at the start of the evening with my torch, checking for anything under the alter table and pews that shouldn't have been there and found nothing.

The elephant in the room with investigations like this is that we all have to find the balance between trusting each other and remaining open minded but also approaching these investigations methodically. I have no control, for example, over people watching my clips and wondering if I was deliberately making the breathing sounds to manufacture more sensational footage. I wasn't consciously doing that so the next most credible solution would be that I was unconsciously making the sounds although, again, I wasn't cold, afraid or out of breath that evening at any point.

When strange things started to accelerate, I started to check my watch and write the times on the back of my hand .. when I ran out of room on my hand, I grabbed my notepad from my bag, transferred times and details onto paper. The next day, I filled both sides of two sheets of A4 watching my 45 minutes of footage with a digital timer, partly for later editing purposes and partly out of interest in the events themselves.

asprectral0001.jpg

Last edited:

Swifty

Eddie Mallet's uploaded all 14 of his vids of our night in Santon Church. As usual, it's best to listen to this Vestry footage with headphones on .. it's important to point out that there are bats up in the bell tower above us that could be generating the noise. I listened to some of the lady in the video's sound recordings yesterday and there's some pretty convincing sounding male and female 'voices' on her equipment ..

At 6:00 in this below clip, the camcorder 'flew' out of our mate's hand. I say flew, the battery bounced off my foot and the camera was attached to the battery that was sitting on the pew at least 3 feet away . I can think of cheaper ways to fake poltergeist activity if that's what he was doing

https://declips.net/video/sIU1XUYvX...estry-invest-with-spit-spectral-video-12.html

(a link to all his vids from that night)

https://declips.net/channel/UCjvm_J...nui8K5KblPAUHzMbVEfaFCI_eg09kx8d2IlLzBQNNvH-o

Last edited:

Swifty

At 6:30, our Eddie 'sings for the spirits' to try to get a reaction.

I'm ignoring the flashes on the church wall, myself and Robert were outside at the time and he was a using the flash on his camera, that was probably me that made the coughing sound heard inside the church, I was smoking a ciggy.

At 16:02, we picked up a faint sound that sounds a bit like "It was me.".

At 16:10, we picked up a strong sound that sounded like someone whispering "Talk". I didn't hear any of us whispering that night, we were all talking at a normal volume.

Unless some crafty ventriloquism was been used, I was stood extremely close to all these people most of the night so am at a loss as to where these whispers could otherwise have come from. The only thing I heard with my own ears that night was a deep male murmuring voice type sound, twice in the vestry when we were all together that I'm hoping Roxy's superior sound recorder has picked up for the second video.

asantonchurch001.jpg

Last edited: