• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who Ya Gonna Call? Ghost Hunters & Hunting

I was at millstreet barracks, st helens last night, on first looking at the place, and upon entering it I was very underwhelmed, it was more like a 1970's school then a haunted barracks.

How do you get to find out about tours such as this? My reason for asking is that both myself and my wife are interested in haunted places etc but dont know where to go or where to find info' on decent/reputable tours.
Thanks in advance

In my case I either Google "ghost hunts" or look up ghost hunts on Facebook, if you are in the UK haunted happenings are a large and reputable firm and I was very impressed with trinity paranormal, who I was with last night

Ghost walks are more difficult for me, the meet-up group "spooky London" used to do them but it's been very quiet for a long time now, I suppose local tourist boards would have a list of ghost walks.

plastic wiganer - if you have an area you are interested in, people here might be able to make suggestions?

Well, after experiencing two ghost hunts by two different teams I no longer believe.

The medium at last night's session found a spirit from the venue attached to my mate. Oddly it chose to play no part in the proceedings and didn't do anything at the seance or ouija he took part in.

The gadgets, meters and flashing light machines? They might as well be smarties glued on margarine tubs.... You have no idea how 'spirits' work, and they didn't react to the dozens apparently surrounding us according to the medium. They do, however, react to mobile phones. Hmm. Radionics for the digital generation I'm afraid.

As for the human pendulum - that's an insult to the intelligence of anyone who has ever used a human body to stand up. If a spirit can control half a dozen human minds and bodies to the extent that it can spell out a message using a planchette it's powerful enough not to need such a clumsy method.

Well meaning amateurs making it up as they go along is the best i can do I'm afraid, but i feel they are very much barking up the wrong tree and ascribing phenomena to entities that do not exist. The spirits of the dead don't have a message for you, they're not having around waiting to knock on the table. That'll be the building cooling.

I still believe in ghosts, to a degree, and other stranger forces, but the entities you sell...sorry, I think it's time to put that one to bed once and for all.

I've lost the innocent i once had about such things - I've read too much, and analysed to deeply. Time to put away childish things.
i agree with a lot of what you say, i think a lot of the nonsense on a ghost hunt, or at least the kind i do, is aimed at people with a scoobydoo interest in ghosts, its what people want so the flashing lights and gizmos are essential tools, not for ghost hunting but entertainment.

the best part of a ghost hunt is the free time, people can scare themselves silly, use whatever tool they fancy or sit quietly in a corner listening and waiting.

Whatever ghosts are, i enjoy investigating them, i will never come close to understanding what they are, but every ghost hunt is my own little journey into the unknown and i only wish i had taken it up 20 years ago

i agree with a lot of what you say, i think a lot of the nonsense on a ghost hunt, or at least the kind i do, is aimed at people with a scoobydoo interest in ghosts

Yes, however, sandwiches and snacks are a VITAL part of any ghost investigation. All full length mirrors should be leaned against and any pots of luminous paint should be treated with suspicion. And it's always best to split up the group, sending the most suggestible people off together whilst leaving the good looking people to go and have sex/get off with each other (while their ugly friend watches).

In my case I either Google "ghost hunts" or look up ghost hunts on Facebook, if you are in the UK haunted happenings are a large and reputable firm and I was very impressed with trinity paranormal, who I was with last night

Thanks for the reply, We are indeed in the UK (Wigan) so we are looking for somewhere in the North West - although don't mind traveling a bit if its worth it, herein lies the problem, how do we determine which are the GOOD ghost hunts as opposed to the ones like we have done in the past such as Edinburgh ghost tour which was more comedy value than anything?
I - well both of us really - are very open minded about all things paranormal, which is how i discovered this place, i just dont want to travel half way round Britain to find its all just a bit of a laugh.. if you get my drift..
cheers :)

I would recommend Newsham hospital in Liverpool, Stanley palace in Chester and Mill Street barracks in St helens.

Around your area I think simply ghost nights and trinity paranormal are the best companies to book through.

going on my first ghost hunt with the ghost club!! the essex regiment museum, chelmsford, i hope its more serious and less entertaining then paid for ghost hunts

when i was onboard the discovery my group had went into the base room to do the planchette, i stayed behind in the corridor, on my own. This is a small clip from the audio recording, you can hear my group and....i would be very interested in your opinions.

Ghost hunting here tonight!
FB_IMG_1482014587712.jpg

It is Newsham hospital, Liverpool.

Last night was very quiet for me, but since the location is so atmospheric and I was in a group with 3 lovely ladies I still had a great night.

I was at the viaduct tavern on a ghost hunt last night, the venue was small with too many people in it with lots of light and noise coming from outside. "Please knock and show us you are there" bbrrrrrrrrooooommmm a bus goes by.

The bar area and cellar where interesting all the other areas bare and barren with no atmosphere. But they do a nice pint .
FB_IMG_1485020157091.jpg

I was at the viaduct tavern on a ghost hunt last night, the venue was small with too many people in it with lots of light and noise coming from outside. "Please knock and show us you are there" bbrrrrrrrrooooommmm a bus goes by.

That's always the problem with venues in cities. Tin foil is great for blocking windows - cheap, quick and easy. But as you pointed out, the noise is the worst part.

I was back at newsham hospital on friday night, at one point i seen a very bright light at the bottom of a corridor, the haunted happenings people said nobody was down that way, but it was so much like a torch light i am inclined to say that's what it was.

A few minutes later a tiny blur orb passed in front of me, going from left to light, it was too quick to say what it could have been but it was very interesting.

When i was in a cupboard in the naughty boys corridor my voice recorder fell with some force from a ledge, but the ledge was on a slope so thats only interesting in that when i placed it back it stayed in place all the rest of my time in the cupboard, over 40 minutes. When i came out of the cupboard there was a group doing the ouija board and with the lazer grid out, when i opened the door they all shat their pants like scooby doo.

It was a superb night, i will be going back for the fifth time and just hope i have picked up a scouse voice shouting "get that out of my face" as the voice recorder hits the floor.

It was a superb night, i will be going back for the fifth time and just hope i have picked up a scouse voice shouting "get that out of my face" as the voice recorder hits the floor.
I bet it'd sound remarkably like Derek Acorah.

On certain laser pointers, you can create patterns. One of these is a grid of dots. If you position the pointer correctly, then you can cover a whole room in small dots. The idea being that if anything moves, your eye will be able to pick up the distortion/wobble of the dot.

All that ever happened to me was that I started seeing the dots moving through eye fatigue. Sitting in a darkened room looking at pin points of green light isn't great for the eyes.

And it could all just be avoided if you turn the lights on. I am sick to death of arguing about how pointless it is to sit in the dark.

On certain laser pointers, you can create patterns. One of these is a grid of dots. If you position the pointer correctly, then you can cover a whole room in small dots. The idea being that if anything moves, your eye will be able to pick up the distortion/wobble of the dot.

All that ever happened to me was that I started seeing the dots moving through eye fatigue. Sitting in a darkened room looking at pin points of green light isn't great for the eyes.

And it could all just be avoided if you turn the lights on. I am sick to death of arguing about how pointless it is to sit in the dark.
The only good reason I have heard for ghost hunting in the dark is that it makes it easier to spot light anomalies like I seen on Friday night, the lazer grid is only good for shitting people up when blundering great oafs walk right into it

and here was have a laser grid in all its ghost finding brilliance

Monday, March 6, 2017
The Adventures of a Welsh Ghostbuster

Welsh oral history boasts a series of anecdotes describing the paranormal adventures of one Reverend Griffiths, an early 19th century Nonconformist minister in Denbighshire. Griffiths made his mark in history as a highly successful free-lance exorcist. As Wales apparently has more ghosts, demons, and bogies than the Florida Everglades has mosquitoes, our hero was one very busy man.

Griffiths was a real person, but it is anyone's guess how he acquired the reputation as a supernatural exterminator. Happily, cleric Elias Owen recorded the tales of Griffiths' exploits in his 1896 book "Welsh Folklore." However legendary they may be, these stories certainly throw the movie "Ghostbusters" in the shade.

http://strangeco.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/the-adventures-of-welsh-ghostbuster.html?m=1

Just back from a ghost hunt at the jack the ripper museum, it was a really good night and a friend took a photo that everybody was saying was an amazing photo of a young ghostly women, there are so many other anomalies in the photo I am withholding judgement till I am fresh and can exam it on a PC

i still cant say much about the picture, i doubt its ghostly but cant explain what it is.

the night began with the human pendulum,which started with the volunteer in the middle being pushed slightly back and forth, then this other women was pushed more violently , this lead to the volunteer being pushed almost over, then the second women was pushed so much it hurt her...the spirits them made the women in the middle raise her arm....they acted like they didn't know each but my niece heard them talking later and said they where old friends.

we had some really good table tipping going, but then the second women started feeling ill, walked away mumbling and pointing, saying the spirits didn't want HIM , HE was blocking them. This person turned out to be me. she had to go out the building to get rid of the spirits.

The museum does a really good job of bringing the lives of the poorest Victorian women to light, some of the rooms are very well recreated in the style of the time (i think, i am no expert) and when i was sitting alone in the recreated mortuary, with pictures of the victims around me i began to think of them and their lives, and the thousands of women like them and how much better things are today, it was worth it just for that insight.

And i hope that the ripper ended his life horribly, cause he deserved that. i will be going back to the jack the ripper museum as soon as i can, but only one company do the ghost hunts there and that seems very rare.

You aren't going to tease us with it are you and then put it up for 60 seconds and then remove it, thereby generating a huge thread about a photo no-one has seen? (I;ve photographed Nessie) ;)

We have friends who run a pub. One of their locals used to do Jack the Ripper tours and is very knowledgable about the subject. If we go over he promises to take us on a private tour with our friends. They are only an hour from London. Also, as a bonus, one mate can get us exclusive access to The Hellfire Caves in Wycombe. I have been trying to persuade my wife for us to go for a few days.

Back