• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who Ya Gonna Call? Ghost Hunters & Hunting

That was a good night! .. I was the only person who didn't suffer any physical side effects, the lady and our host both had on and off headaches and the other two fellas both independently complained to me about having a sore right shoulder which was odd as neither of them had been doing any heavy lifting.

We didn't use the laser or candles, apparently there's less or no activity when people do that at this place, we spent most of the time in total darkness other than the light from the two night vision cameras, I just used my camera to get atmospheric silhouette shots that we can edit in later .. most of the evening was uneventful, all sorts of weird things happened in the last hour or so but it's nearly 3am now so I'll write about it here tomorrow ..

My wife and I along with 8 others did an investigation of Beechworth Lunatic Asylum two weekends ago. We didn't have camera gear aside from our phones but had EMF meters, spirit boxes, laser grids and a few other pieces of equipment to try to capture any activity.
The asylum itself is huge with hundreds of rooms. There were nurses quarters, dormitories for boys and girls as well as men and women. Bathrooms and shower blocks scattered throughout the numerous buildings, offices, pharmacies, storerooms, a mortuary, kitchens, dining rooms etc.
A number of moving shadows were spotted by people investigating with us and the EMF meters were reacting madly and this was in building where power had been disconnected.
Our guide took us to the most (reported) active areas and we had many responses to questions with light meters reacting in reply. We had no great success with EVPs.
Over 3000 people died here and it is reputed to be one of Australia's most haunted locations. I didn't get a feeling of sadness or despair as is often reported by those who investigate here. That being said, it was fascinating to spend the evening here. Here's an assortment of images...
beechworth1.jpg

The outside of the juvenile male's recreation room. A place where many sexual assaults and rapes took place.
beechworth2.jpg

Hallway leading out of the recreation room.
beechworth3.jpg

A typical nurses room.
beechworth4.jpg

Withing 5 seconds of taking this all of the lights illuminated in response to a question we asked.
beechworth5.jpg

Graffiti on the walls.
beechworth6.jpg

Bloody hand print in the attic.
beechworth7.jpg

EMF meters setup in an active hallway.
beechworth8.jpg

Where troublesome patients would be locked in.
beechworth9.jpg

Exterior shot.
beechworth10.jpg

EMF goes berserk. Remember, all electricity in this building has been disconnected.

What is that thing? The device that looks 3D printed?

I've had a chance to re watch all that I was able to record, we spent most of the time in total darkness bar the light from two other night vision cameras. Two of our crew had on and off headaches, two others had a painful right shoulder or numbness in their hands .. I didn't get any physical symptoms.

The night started off pretty uneventful, an orb seen on camera here, a knocking sound heard there, the two headache sufferers also reporting feeling cold breezes sometimes on their faces. I scoped the place at first, testing for creaky floor boards, seating areas and anything else that might make a sound but I couldn't find anything.

Things started getting a bit more interesting after 10pm, a few of us heard a woman's voice sigh and later say "yeah", I and another could see pin pricks of light by the alter, after a request from the key holder and our 'tour leader' to "make us jump", the latch on the closed church door made a loud clack sound. Not long after this, a loose camera battery belonging to the tour leader managed to noisily land by our feet, no one near it at the time, it had travelled about 3ft.

Our tour leader occasionally mentioned hearing a female voice but couldn't make out what it was saying, I couldn't hear any of this stuff. The highlight of the night was our last vigil in the small side room vestry, 5 of us huddled in there. The EMF meter remained unresponsive all night and all except the tour leader's and my batteries had drained at this point. I/we then distinctly heard an unmistakable man's mumbling voice, twice, from the inaccessible bell tower. The church is in a pretty remote location but I suppose it's possible someone could have been outside although no windows were open and the walls are pretty thick for sound to have travelled like that. It was impressively loud.

We left about 12:30 as we still had an hour and a half to travel back home which was a shame because we all got the feeling things were starting to get interesting. Hopefully we'll be able to go back there.

Sounds great Swifty :)
I've been chatting with the main man via facebook today Fridesy, he tells me he has captured the murmuring male voice .. sweet .. he'll be uploading it soon so I can link to it here hopefully (I've asked him to register here, I think this forum's right up his alley) .. here's his Haunted Santon Church facebook page ..

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=haunted santon church&epa=SEARCH_BOX

edit: us lot last night .. murmuring male voice not in this vid, his EVP captures are recorded thus so far as:

1.29. Female. Go !! It doesnt sound like Roseanna but maybe. Strange thing to say,if so. 3.47. F Off !! A Blessing !! :) 4.45 Female. Nooo !!5.31. Here / Hear ? 3.31 Male Unknown ?
7.44 Male. I dont like it !! 9.37. Male. Which one ??

I'm pottering about in the puffa jacket if anyone cares..

Last edited:
i couldn't hear any of that, but it does look like a really interesting place, thank you for posting.
Me neither, they're not my notations titch and it is a pretty atmospheric place to hang out at for a couple of hours .. I enjoyed myself anyway :Givingup:

Is "Nasty EVPs" your choice of title @Swifty?
Na .. the above video isn't my upload, it's been uploaded by that Eddie fella who's one of the church trustees, he's been investigating the place for 6 years now.

There's meant to be a few different spirits there, the most notorious one being Reverend Kendall who was the rev there and died in the mid 1600's before the church was rebuilt in the 1800's. Kendall was an alcoholic who swore a lot apparently and worse, a lot of investigators have picked up EVP's of a swearing man in the church. A reverend Poley also held services there, he's buried in a crypt outside at the back of the church with his wife Margeret and daughter Mary, both the women are said to make occasional spirit appearances, people don't get 'nasty' EVPs from them. There's also an Edward, a Walter, a Marrianne and others reported to 'visit'.

There's been a church on the sight since the 1300's, talk of prostitutes being murdered by hanging there in the early years, the place was rebuilt in the 1800's for a local tax collector who's thought to be the only person actually buried inside it under an engraved flagstone in the aisle.

On a more humorous note, to get there you have to drive through a dogging site so we did pass a few cars with steamy windows which caused much mirth. My stomach kept rumbling when we were all trying to stay completely quiet which meant I had to keep saying "that was me", typically this would happen just after a question had been asked. I also managed to do a loud fart which was a nice tension breaker.

If anyone fancies meeting up with the trustee, key keeper and investigator Eddie Mallet, send me a pm and I'll pass your details onto him, he doesn't charge anything although it would be polite to chuck some money into the collection box as they clean the place for free other than the cost of materials. We didn't realise this and hadn't taken any money with us but he was perfectly cool about it. You'll just need to be able to get to the Norfolk Suffolk border and pick him up in Brandon, you won't be able to find the place without his guidance .. he's the fella here in the Ferrari jacket, he rocks an infra red camera ..

Last edited:
My first upload from Friday night, I'm fairly sure it wasn't me doing sharp intakes of breath at the 0:55 and 1:38 mark (I'm filming so closest to the camera), I was warm in a fleece, puffa jacket and a baseball cap .. this was before the investigation got started, that area is know as one of the 'hotspots' for weirdness .. the most likely explanation is that it was me?

edit: Vixen's just released a teaser .. now all we have to do is edit the fucker ..

I'm wary of 'orbs' .. I've seen some convincing images and video of these things, it's mostly about how they move I've been told although I spotted one fly and one moth go past me that night .. I also saw under torch light large natural dust particles drifting about. I was lightly mocked for taking my hand held battery operated fly zapper while I was being filmed by two night vision cameras but why not? .. I've never seen a ghost investigation video including someone with one before so I thought I'd be the first: someone films me, tells me there's an orb next to me and I twat it with the zapper .. if it's a fly or a large dust particle, both create a small spark when struck .. if I get back home and someone can show me footage of me waving the thing around and an orb floating through it undamaged? .. then we're using some sort of scientific methodology and we might be onto something supernatural.

Last edited:
I uploaded clip number 3 last night, I'm climbing up into the pulpit in this clip, I think the strange 'whooshing' sound is the fabric of my jacket rubbing against the wood but there's more of that weird out of breath sounding breathing on this. I didn't feel afraid or out of breath at any time that evening. I've been able to convincingly recreate this sound at home. I haven't reviewed the rest of my clips yet, my crew mate says she's picked up some weird sounds as well ..

Nice shot of a bat flying over on of our crew at 17:20

Here's something that's puzzling me ..

On the day we were to visit, Eddie wrote on our Spit Sprectal homepage that he was looking forward to returning to the place and meeting us because the Church had been empty for a month. On the night, when we were all present inside the Church, we noticed and filmed that the wood panel on the ceiling supposed to seal off the bell tower was slightly askew. I didn't think anything of it at the time, I then watched a video of the previous people being given a ghost session that was uploaded on the 5th of Jan this year .. in their footage, the wood panel is flush with the square entrance hole so it covered the hole completely.

There's no ladder in or outside the church but someone between the beginning of January and the 8th of Feb has moved that wood. I'll be sending a message today to Eddie querying that (as a good Fortean should!), of course it's conceivable that he or one of the others that night used a pole or something similar to move it for some reason. If I'm being uncharitable, the bell tower would have been a perfect place to hide something that could have played back the loud sound of the male voice murmuring twice although that doesn't explain the other weird sounds that night I heard. I also looked underneath everything I could at the start of the evening with my torch, checking for anything under the alter table and pews that shouldn't have been there and found nothing.

The elephant in the room with investigations like this is that we all have to find the balance between trusting each other and remaining open minded but also approaching these investigations methodically. I have no control, for example, over people watching my clips and wondering if I was deliberately making the breathing sounds to manufacture more sensational footage. I wasn't consciously doing that so the next most credible solution would be that I was unconsciously making the sounds although, again, I wasn't cold, afraid or out of breath that evening at any point.

When strange things started to accelerate, I started to check my watch and write the times on the back of my hand .. when I ran out of room on my hand, I grabbed my notepad from my bag, transferred times and details onto paper. The next day, I filled both sides of two sheets of A4 watching my 45 minutes of footage with a digital timer, partly for later editing purposes and partly out of interest in the events themselves.

asprectral0001.jpg

Last edited:
Eddie Mallet's uploaded all 14 of his vids of our night in Santon Church. As usual, it's best to listen to this Vestry footage with headphones on .. it's important to point out that there are bats up in the bell tower above us that could be generating the noise. I listened to some of the lady in the video's sound recordings yesterday and there's some pretty convincing sounding male and female 'voices' on her equipment ..

At 6:00 in this below clip, the camcorder 'flew' out of our mate's hand. I say flew, the battery bounced off my foot and the camera was attached to the battery that was sitting on the pew at least 3 feet away . I can think of cheaper ways to fake poltergeist activity if that's what he was doing

https://declips.net/video/sIU1XUYvX...estry-invest-with-spit-spectral-video-12.html

(a link to all his vids from that night)

https://declips.net/channel/UCjvm_J...nui8K5KblPAUHzMbVEfaFCI_eg09kx8d2IlLzBQNNvH-o

Last edited:
At 6:30, our Eddie 'sings for the spirits' to try to get a reaction.

I'm ignoring the flashes on the church wall, myself and Robert were outside at the time and he was a using the flash on his camera, that was probably me that made the coughing sound heard inside the church, I was smoking a ciggy.

At 16:02, we picked up a faint sound that sounds a bit like "It was me.".

At 16:10, we picked up a strong sound that sounded like someone whispering "Talk". I didn't hear any of us whispering that night, we were all talking at a normal volume.

Unless some crafty ventriloquism was been used, I was stood extremely close to all these people most of the night so am at a loss as to where these whispers could otherwise have come from. The only thing I heard with my own ears that night was a deep male murmuring voice type sound, twice in the vestry when we were all together that I'm hoping Roxy's superior sound recorder has picked up for the second video.

asantonchurch001.jpg

Last edited:
fascinating stuff, the only EVP i thought was good was the "talk"one, but it seems your group has what i consider the bane of ghost hunting, people who cannot stop talking, the man with the beard and the woman seem to constantly talk, does it annoy you or do you think it adds to the experience?

Last edited:
fascinating stuff, the only EVP i thought was good was the "talk"one, but it seems your group has what i consider the bane of ghost hunting, people who cannot stop talking, the man with the beard and thew woman seem to constantly talk, does it annoy you or do you think it adds to the experience?
That's annoyingly often on YT ghost hunter videos. And if it's not that, it's bloody annoying "scary sound effects" added which prevent me from hearing any real sound.

fascinating stuff, the only EVP i thought was good was the "talk"one, but it seems your group has what i consider the bane of ghost hunting, people who cannot stop talking, the man with the beard and the woman seem to constantly talk, does it annoy you or do you think it adds to the experience?
A bit of both (and I agree with you on that "talk" one if that is indeed a voice) on investigations, we're all in cold places having to remain as silent as we can ... we could be more generous and remain entirely silent so that people can later study us but this takes self discipline and to be honest, we're all only human so we chuckle, cough, feel a desire to talk to each other in the hope that it might also be useful later through recordings if we're trying to later work out what we might or might not have caught on 'tape'/ digital recording ..

On a ghost club investigation we are always told if we are going to talk then talk normally, as a whisper is harder to decide what it's source is, but I always find myself whispering, it just happens naturally.

There's a strong chance we'll be doing a night invest at Cromer Museum in the not too distant future, the museum partly consists of old fisherman's cottages so our crew Spit Spectral are excited about that one! ..

We're also planning on returning to All Saint's Santon Church (see above and below), again with Eddie Mallet on the 22nd of this month, I was chatting with Eddie last night online as he was preparing to take different people in last night, he's told me it was more a physical night with a few of them having to step outside due to being affected. A similar thing happened to us on our last visit, all of our crew except me experiencing on and off headaches as well as body temperature alternating left to right.

This is a snippet of conversation about last night at the church:

They were affected in different ways
From different pains, to rocking from side to side.
Then strong temperature changes from cold to hot & then back again to cold. hands clenching & un clenching.
Cold one side of body & warm the other.
A couple had to be taken outside to have the pains taken off them. One had her legs completely numb & had to be taken out.
It was all go
1f642.png

Anna sounds great. I've only been in the museum once & it was very interesting
1f642.png

I had the rocking really strong
A really strange but great night

14:27

Mad .. I remember the two other lads with us complained of similar stuff to me, Robert especially with the whole left right temperature thing happening to his body as well as the walls .. you and others rocking sounds creepy, you have to watch out for those demons mate! ..

Apparently they recorded more EVPs last night including the sound of a bell ringing ..

Here's a couple of the Shadow Paranormal team who we're also friends with during an earlier invest at the church. It really is a weird place, hard to describe unless you're there ..

Last edited:
Well we're all going back to All Saints Church at Santon on the 26th, we've bought some new tech so we get to play with a military grade laser grid this time as well as some other toys, one of our team has bought a dog so it's possible the dog might come with us (animal welfare is our priority on that decision so any chance that the dog will be unhappy in any way, he won't go). I'll also be focussing more on temperature fluctuations this time with a view to cataloguing those (if they happen again) with some laser thermometers.

My wife and I along with 8 others did an investigation of Beechworth Lunatic Asylum two weekends ago. We didn't have camera gear aside from our phones but had EMF meters, spirit boxes, laser grids and a few other pieces of equipment to try to capture any activity.
The asylum itself is huge with hundreds of rooms. There were nurses quarters, dormitories for boys and girls as well as men and women. Bathrooms and shower blocks scattered throughout the numerous buildings, offices, pharmacies, storerooms, a mortuary, kitchens, dining rooms etc.
A number of moving shadows were spotted by people investigating with us and the EMF meters were reacting madly and this was in building where power had been disconnected.
Our guide took us to the most (reported) active areas and we had many responses to questions with light meters reacting in reply. We had no great success with EVPs.
Over 3000 people died here and it is reputed to be one of Australia's most haunted locations. I didn't get a feeling of sadness or despair as is often reported by those who investigate here. That being said, it was fascinating to spend the evening here. Here's an assortment of images...
View attachment 14857
The outside of the juvenile male's recreation room. A place where many sexual assaults and rapes took place.
View attachment 14858
Hallway leading out of the recreation room.
View attachment 14859
A typical nurses room.
View attachment 14860
Withing 5 seconds of taking this all of the lights illuminated in response to a question we asked.
View attachment 14861
Graffiti on the walls.
View attachment 14862
Bloody hand print in the attic.
View attachment 14863
EMF meters setup in an active hallway.
View attachment 14864
Where troublesome patients would be locked in.
View attachment 14865
Exterior shot.
View attachment 14866
EMF goes berserk. Remember, all electricity in this building has been disconnected.
thanks for the images . i'm always fascinated by places like this , i would think that these kinds of places would be a paranormal researcher's delight . i can only imagine ( & shudder at ) the things that happened to the patients , i'm in love with a woman who is schizophrenic & homeless , if this was another time & period she may have well ended up in a place like this .... it saddens me to think that

Last edited:
Our Spit Spectral crew are meeting up for an equipment check tomorrow night which is also an excuse for going for a pint ... because we're going in for round 2 at the haunted Santon Church on the 26th .. we'll be staying later this time because things seemed to be just 'hoting up' when we left last time.

Phenomena attributed to this tiny church have included nausea, investigators starting to cry, aches and pains reported by investigators, voices heard both as they happen and on EVP recordings, EMF peaks, photographs purporting to show spectral mist, poltergeist activity and now SLS captures. My job is basically not to try and interact but keep notes and timings like a good Fortean as these things are reported to be happening to our team. We won't be taking the dog, apparently he has a nervous nature.

Here's a recent visit by different crew that's just been uploaded .. with our favourite swearing ghost, the Reverend Kendal

(Eddie Mallet's notes)

0.29. Strange sound. (Maybe us hitting something but sounds strange.) 2.32. Strange sound. 7.39. EVP. Twat !! 9.06 Female Hurrrr !
9.36. Voice as Leah is talking ! 10.38. Male.. Leave Her !! .....

2.37. Female voice. 4.04 Male. Let me go. (Very close to me)
4,13. Male. Mind yourself ! 6.12. Sound like a whistle breath.
7.20. Faint male voice. 7.50. Voice. 8.17. Male.. I can hear you.

.. and at 6:05 onwards, a SLS set up laser grid suggested capture

Last edited:
we're all a bit excited cos our mate Luke Tabram from the investigation group Shadow Paranormal is visiting Cromer on Sunday to meet up with us :cool: .. plus he's great at making videos, we're hoping to do an invest together at some point if possible. We'll probably end up at a pub somewhere. Here's his stuff ..

Shadow Paranormal

https://www.youtube.com/user/ShadowParanormal

Last edited:
we're all a bit excited cos our mate Luke Tabram from the investigation group Shadow Paranormal is visiting Cromer on Sunday to meet up with us :cool: .. plus he's great at making videos, we're hoping to do an invest together at some point if possible. We'll probably end up at a pub somewhere. Here's his stuff ..

Shadow Paranormal

https://www.youtube.com/user/ShadowParanormal

Mate don't be starstruck be these folks - you've been a mainstay on these forums for years and have probably contributed and digested more Forteana than they will ever do. Particularly guys who dress like they are in a Mission tribute band.

Despite his acknowledgement that he needs to improve he's still pretty hit and miss and I'm really unsure of "ghost hunting" equipment these days. A thermometer, a camera and a pad and pen was good enough for Price, Underwood etc so let's go back to basics. EMF's what are we actually recording and how many ghost-hunters really know about EMF's?

Mate don't be starstruck be these folks - you've been a mainstay on these forums for years and have probably contributed and digested more Forteana than they will ever do. Particularly guys who dress like they are in a Mission tribute band.

Despite his acknowledgement that he needs to improve he's still pretty hit and miss and I'm really unsure of "ghost hunting" equipment these days. A thermometer, a camera and a pad and pen was good enough for Price, Underwood etc so let's go back to basics. EMF's what are we actually recording and how many ghost-hunters really know about EMF's?
Don't worry, I'm not easily star struck although I do/did like The Mission. I'm the camera, pad and pen guy actually, Eddie Mallet was a bit confused when he saw me making notes until Roseanne explained what I was doing (the job properly).

We've got a few laser thermometers as well. As for EMF, I also use a hand held airport style metal detector to try and eliminate obvious things that could affect readings. I was laughed at a bit when I brought along one of those battery operated fly swatters that look like a tennis racket until I pointed out that any 'orbs' that frazzle will be insects. Practical to the end me.

Don't worry, I'm not easily star struck although I do/did like The Mission. I'm the camera, pad and pen guy actually, Eddie Mallet was a bit confused when he saw me making notes until Roseanne explained what I was doing (the job properly).

We've got a few laser thermometers as well. As for EMF, I also use a hand held airport style metal detector to try and eliminate obvious things that could affect readings. I was laughed at a bit when I brought along one of those battery operated fly swatters that look like a tennis racket until I pointed out that any 'orbs' that frazzle will be insects. Practical to the end me.
Swifty, on a general note, why do you think we only get short sentences, or snippets of voices in these circumstances? You might expect a spirit or whatever to chatter away if it found an audience. Or is it like turning the dial of a radio across stations and hearing brief sound bytes?

Swifty, on a general note, why do you think we only get short sentences, or snippets of voices in these circumstances? You might expect a spirit or whatever to chatter away if it found an audience. Or is it like turning the dial of a radio across stations and hearing brief sound bytes?
I'm not always convinced the snippets are even snippets to tell the truth PeteS, 9 out of 10 EVPs are unconvincing to me .. sort of like when you listen to a a Beatles record and people are excitedly making out 'words' that are in truth far from clear.

I'll watch a show like Ghost Adventures, they'll play back something that sounds like "Nnn skay four ears" and subtitles will be presented on screen excitedly reading 'EVP: "Run! .. escape from here!". The most convincing one I've heard so far was one an investigator caught while I was standing next to her, she was the only woman with us so I know it wasn't her speaking, her face is also recorded by a different camera at the same time, her mouth not moving and we got a crystal clear woman's voice say the word "Talk", not whispered.

Some people believe that for a spirit to talk or move an object takes a lot of energy, you know, seeing as they're dead and everything so they shouldn't have any energy scientifically speaking at all .. hence the whispered snippet theory.

A friend of mine has an endearing theory of his own: the dead are lonely! .. a bunch of living people turn up waving stupid gadgets about but the ghost is just happy to see someone so they try to get our attention but it knackers them out so they can only do it in short bursts.

Back