• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who Ya Gonna Call? Ghost Hunters & Hunting

There's a certain pub in Dudley where an old landlord knew the place wasn't haunted
Don't forget that many would argue nowhere is haunted because ghosts don't exist. So absolutely anywhere benefitting from its haunted reputation is doing the same.

Ah the rarified atmosphere of the fortean notice board :)

I notice you say "groups" which implies people kept coming even though presumably nothing exciting was ever witnessed?

There's a certain pub in Dudley where an old landlord knew the place wasn't haunted but boosted it's haunted provenance to make money. He'd charge groups 4 figure sums to sit in his basement for a few hours. So yes, I have no doubt a lot of locations are on the fiddle.

Local people would know if the place was known for being haunted or not. A group planning a ghost hunt might be clever enough to send someone to the next pub along and engage the landlord/lady in conversation on the subject of haunted pubs in the area. All would soon become clear.

Ace .. me and the Mrs have just had a hand delivered invite to the wedding of our Spit Spectral's two most senior members at Norwich Castle in March .. not paranormal news (that's this Saturday night when some of us go out again) but feeling all warm and fuzzy inside .. :)

Norwich Castle
... ooh I don't know, Swifty. Many years ago I was on a tour round Norwich Castle and the subject of hauntedness was broached, and I remember the guide starting to tell us something juicy, and then when pressed for details they suddenly decided they weren't keen to discuss it, and hurried proceedings on. I seem to recall it being to do with strange goings-on in the main hall of the castle, rather than any cheesy historical ghosts cavorting about the grounds, or anything to do with those ghastly dungeons, which would be more "obvious". (I've always remembered the moment for some reason, something to do with their attitude, that made me feel as though they definitely had experienced / believed something, rather than it being your bog-standard ghost legend).
Amazing venue for a wedding anyway - have fun.

There's a certain pub in Dudley where an old landlord knew the place wasn't haunted but boosted it's haunted provenance to make money. He'd charge groups 4 figure sums to sit in his basement for a few hours. So yes, I have no doubt a lot of locations are on the fiddle.
The ghost club have arranged a ghost hunt at a haunted inn, that makes me pause for thought, then when I read it's in pluckley, Kent, I decided I wasn't interested.

Had many a pint in the, 'George & Abb' - just down the road from here!

Ghost hunters called into Melrose hotel by spooked owners

Source: Border Telegraph
Date: 14 January, 2020

PARANORMAL investigators are heading for Melrose.

And they are inviting ghost hunters to join them for a night in one of the region's spookiest hotels.

For decades staff and guests at the George and Abbotsford have reported eerie goings on.

And it's hoped that the professionals from UK and Scottish Ghost Nights will be able to get to the bottom of a few of the bumps in the night.

Lisa Tedstill from UK and Scottish Ghost Nights told us: "We were invited to investigate the location by the new owners who reported many strange goings on.

"Staff have reported poltergeist activity, lights switching on by themselves and the poor chef even had her hair pulled so hard she fell backwards.

"We are quite surprised they have not all run away yet - and we are very excited to spend the night there."

The historic George and Abbotsford dates back to the early 1800s with extensions added towards the latter part of the 19th century.

https://www.bordertelegraph.com/news/18158203.ghost-hunters-called-melrose-hotel-spooked-owners/

Where Spit Spectral will be on the night of Feb 24th .. we'll be taking my beach wind break for this one, setting up the motion sensors next to the various pits and using our modified sound amplifier as well as two night vision cameras and one day vision camera ... and the obligatory large flask of coffee.

Last edited:
A different team went to Santon church last night, by far my favourite location I've investigated. At 7:00 in this vid filmed last night, a man's voice can be heard gently saying either forty seven or thirty seven. Eddie Mallet was filming this, it sounds nothing like Eddie's voice and even if it was, his camera's microphone would have picked that up as being louder .. also if you watch neither of the other men's mouths are moving. I can't rule out that there was another man there off camera but I can vouch for Eddie's integrity having been on invests with him before ..

You'll notice in this video's title that Eddie feels that the spoken number could be referring to a psalm number ..

Just after the 7:00 mark, play at full volume or with headphones or both ... this is the best audio capture to date for all of us Santon investigators .. the previous weirdest was when my whole crew heard 'live' 4 musical notes being played .. I've been there a few times so my mind is blown ..

The shrieking pits look fab!

Thanks for uploading more Stanton Church too :)

Thanks for uploading more Stanton Church too :)
Yep, the shrieking pit was very eerie, we got some strong readings on the K2, dizzy feelings, light and audio anomalies, I'm about to pop round to our group leader's house so we can compare what the three of us got ..

Here's the haunted Santon church facebook page with a few more recent vids, search for Avebury Eddie on youtube to watch all filmed investigations by different teams there to date ..

asantonghost.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/Haunted-Santon-Church-439853369450092/

Last edited:

Folklore states that at midnight (24th Feb), you're supposed to hear the ghost of the drowning girl scream three times .. we didn't. As an experiment, I volunteered to yell a bit (I can't scream, I'm a bloke) .. interestingly, our K2 EMF meter went halfway up just after I did this and 3 times ..

Roseanne's edited and uploaded our Shrieking Pit of Northrepps video .. we're not going to win any film production awards but skip to the night time footage for sexy K2 action ..

Blimey! .. I hooked up with our crew tonight, we've had a write up about us in this book written by Erica Gammon on our Santon Church investigations and a couple of other locations .. just found out this evening. I didn't have time to read the rest of the book, I think it's focussing on different paranormal investigation teams? .. we didn't get slagged off anyway ..

aerica01.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hounds-Spirits-Psychics-Stories-Hauntings-ebook/dp/B07ZQF3NCW

Blimey! .. I hooked up with our crew tonight, we've had a write up about us in this book written by Erica Gammon on our Santon Church investigations and a couple of other locations .. just found out this evening. I didn't have time to read the rest of the book, I think it's focussing on different paranormal investigation teams? .. we didn't get slagged off anyway ..

View attachment 23933

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hounds-Spirits-Psychics-Stories-Hauntings-ebook/dp/B07ZQF3NCW
Judging by the title I should think they are referring to Cromer in general !

woohoo! congratulations :twothumbs:

View attachment 23933

That's excellent. You and your group must be quite chuffed.

Ghosts must be very happy with the current lockdown.

Relief from vaping idiots shouting about the location. Constantly talking to each other rather than "investigating", then insulting spirits with clueless techniques.

I'm hoping these idiots, hang up their goth clothes and their half-baked theories and just fuck off.

You could be right although one of my neighbours has a theory ghosts might appear only when living people turn up .. his theory goes that spirits are alone most of the time, maybe not even aware that they're dead so people turning up excites them because they get lonely so enjoy some company occasionally.

And if, as we sit alone in our living rooms during lock down, we are suddenly surrounded by a group of people in goth clothes with cameras and sound equipment and spouting half-baked theories as to what we are, what then?

Relief from vaping idiots shouting about the location. Constantly talking to each other rather than "investigating", then insulting spirits with clueless techniques.

I'm hoping these idiots, hang up their goth clothes and their half-baked theories and just fuck off.
"We mean you no harm!", "Now say something stupid on EVP!", "I saw something in the corner of my eye which the camera did not catch!".

Just found out our ghost crew leader did a photo shoot yesterday because we're going to be in the magazines Take a Break and Fate and Fortune at some point, some photographer visited Cromer and took some snaps of her in a park .. I've had to give permission for my name to be included, I'm not a fan of either magazine tbh but it's a bit of fun anyway ..

Back