• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who's Gaming The George Floyd Protests / Riots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re the appearance of rocks etc.

In some of the reportage you can see someone appear and empty a container of potentia missiles on the road. People are then seen picking up a few and putting them in their pockets (for future use ?).

And before people get too dewy eyed maybe they should visit.

Link to overtly political and known disinformation-disseminating site removed.

Not detracting from the crime; just adding a bit of perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting site that.

Antifa run by British intelligence?

Google connected to Chinese military?

Coronovirus nicked by the Chinese from those hellbent-on-world-domination Canadians.

I'm getting the word...

Copy (1) of Clinton-Baptiste-e1528886349158.jpeg

...bollocks!

And - d'you know what? Even if it were true. (And I'll put this in the simplest way possible):

IT'S.

NOT.

THE.

POINT.

Interesting site that.

Antifa run by British intelligence?

Google connected to Chinese military?

Coronovirus nicked by the Chinese from those hellbent-on-world-domination Canadians.

I'm getting the word...

View attachment 27052

...bollocks!

And - d'you know what? Even if it were true. (And I'll put this in the simplest way possible):

IT'S.

NOT.

THE.

POINT.

So you didn't read the charge sheets etc.

And if you did, how come you don't see the point ?

If something is a closely guarded secret, how does a right wing 'news' site know about it...?

No secret.

Court records are publicly available knowledge.

(I take it that is what you are referring to ?)

No worries, I didn't read that.

Yet the article to which you directed people closed by claiming Floyd's death plunged the USA into a civil war by Antifa anarchists. :thought:

I think it's fair to say without endangering myself that 1. The point in the discussion in analysing the unsubstantiated claims regarding the gentleman who was knocked down by the police in Buffalo is that the "information " came from a media source notorious for printing information that they have presumably made up without any substantiation that they are willing to provide, and, 2. There is actually no evidence that "antifa" exists. I have dug a little and I find that it is discussed by politicians needing to see their name printed, and by young mostly men who say that they are members, but there is no organized group participating in planning, financing, and communication acknowledged by the FBI, which is the enforcement arm that would cover anarchist behavior - and did cover it in the teens and 20's when there really was organized anarchist behavior. Beyond that although personally I would want to beat up on the media source, barring the production of evidence there is nothing to discuss.

Yet the article to which you directed people closed by claiming Floyd's death plunged the USA into a civil war by Antifa anarchists. :thought:

I wasn't calling people's attention to anything other than Floyd's rap sheets. This has been avoided much the same way people would avoid a cobra that is having a bad day. It would detract from the agenda.

There were a few articles on the front page; I didn't read any of them.

My point was,and please delete this if you find it offensive, that George Floyd was not a nice man. In fact he was a thug.

His killing in that manner was reprehensible. no one could doubt that.

However the rest is politics, and I have no wish to upgrade my points count.

Just for the record ... There are two additional justifiable interpretations ...

(1) The surplus police vehicles are being pre-positioned at a scene where they may be needed (e.g., to transport people who've been arrested).

(2) They're being parked for display as symbols or reminders of police presence - analogous to the way police vehicles are sometimes parked along highways to spook speeders.

Both are known tactics; I've witnessed both tactics used.
In my small rural town, there is a police car permanently parked along a stretch of street that is a temptation to speeders. Townies know that it's always empty, I'm not sure it even runs, but are more likely to drive safely on a residential street. Strangers always slow down when they see it.

I wasn't calling people's attention to anything other than Floyd's rap sheets. This has been avoided much the same way people would avoid a cobra that is having a bad day. It would detract from the agenda.

My point was,and please delete this if you find it offensive, that George Floyd was not a nice man. In fact he was a thug.

I think most people not on the streets realise he was not a nice man. But he still didn't deserve to die that way. After due judicial process, fine.

If his killing was reprehensible, then what does his (past) criminal record have to do with anything? You can't have it both ways.

Please sort your own agenda out, thank you.

Last edited:

here's a good intro https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogaloo_movement

Imagine good ol' boys crossed with 21st century meme-saturation and in-jokes.

Their views seem to run the gamut of KKK mayhem, via libertarian, to anarchist and many stops in between.

Edited to add: the 2nd civil war in the US could well be brought about by puns and memes online...

Last edited:
Police deliberately left businesses unguarded and went and suited up in riot gear to go crack heads.
Law enforcement is nothing more than a legalized gang in the US.

Police deliberately left businesses unguarded and went and suited up in riot gear to go crack heads.
Law enforcement is nothing more than a legalized gang in the US.
That's not fair. Our UK police have some problems but they are unarmed, because most UK citizens are unarmed. A US copper faces the risk every day that if he pulls someone over for speeding the person might reach for a gun and kill him.

There are bad apples in every bunch. The US's problem is that the cops and judiciary stick together like the Masons and don't deal fairly with complaints against the bad apples.

Have you heard any more information as to the mysteriously apporting bricks/stones?

It is a very odd thing!

And from Rolling Stone mag online, is a curious paragraph from an article re. bricks/stones appearing quoting a senior police officer who thinks caches of stones may have been left by organised agitators in advance of protests. Although it could just be illegally dumped construction debris. And it probably was, according to the later article linked to below.

https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...ests-george-floyd-black-lives-matter-1009178/

"...Such attempts to sow misinformation are not uncommon when it comes to high-profile news events, says Linvill. “These are fast moving stories and conversations. There are more people on social media talking about them than normal and their rates of communication are higher. The normal places one might get information aren’t moving at the speed people are hungering for, and so [social media] is an environment where misinformation and conspiracy theories are inevitably going to spread.”

When it comes to #baitbricks, it is not immediately apparent that it’s a deliberate attempt to sow misinformation. Even though many of the accounts that initially tweeted it had relatively few followers, which can be a sign of bot activity, Joan Donovan, research director at Harvard Kennedy’s Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy, says it’s unlikely it’s a planted narrative, “because there is more talk about it than is just contained within the hashtag. It seems to have some degree of organic spread.”

The underlying concerns about cops infiltrating protests and encouraging violence to justify force are certainly not without merit. In cities across the country, protesters have reported that actions have been largely peaceful until officials escalated violence with tear gas or rubber bullets. Viral footage showing a man in a gas mask smashing the windows of an Auto Zone with a hammer also led protesters to accuse the man of being a police plant, an allegation the Minneapolis Police Department has denied.

Yet there is little evidence that authorities are intentionally planting bricks at protest sites to goad activists. “Often in cities there will be construction areas with bricks and other materials,” says Donovan. “I think in most instances we never notice them, but they take on new meaning during moments like this. Linvill refers to the hashtag as an “organic conspiracy theory taking place in real time.”

“A few of the images I’ve seen look completely innocent, and bricks are the sort of thing you don’t notice till you’re looking for them,” he says. “And then when you do, they’re everywhere.”"

There's an article here from yesterday detailing the most prominent social media claims: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/craigsilverman/investigating-bricks-at-protests

Which mostly concludes it's social media claims, without much to back them up while residents, protestors and police are convinced there's some kind of brick-dumping organised movement going on...

View attachment 26899

I haven't heard anything further, and while it's certainly possible (maybe even probable) that the mysteriously appearing bricks were instead just noticed, I've got my doubts about the ones in our town, because the boys noticed them the night before as an oddity, and to my knowledge, were not aware of the stories being spread around.

There had been some construction downtown last year, but it had been finished up in time for tourist season. I don't even think there were pallets of bricks back then. Not in plain sight, anyway.

Please don't let this thread go off topic again - the conspiracy aspects (suggested, mooted, proven/unproven, written about) alone of the current protests originating out of Minneapolis.

This ^^ :)

That assumes everyone had a clear idea what was happening and what was going to happen. Calling all hands on deck for crowd control is one thing; mobilizing to contain a riot and / or counter looting is another.

If his killing was reprehensible, then what does his (past) criminal record have to do with anything? You can't have it both ways.

Please sort your own agenda out, thank you.

No matter how wrong Floyd's death was, Cochise has a point that the sanctification of a violent career criminal is wrong too.

No matter how wrong Floyd's death was, Cochise has a point that the sanctification of a violent career criminal is wrong too.

Apples and oranges ...

Gilding Floyd's memory is no more than the sort of exaggerated mutual social stroking that passes for civil participation nowadays. If there were an actionable law forbidding personal propaganda social media would qualify as the largest criminal enterprise in human history.

Killing a non-resisting Floyd in the street is an outright crime for which a formal charge of no less than manslaughter is warranted. Whether such a charge results in any conviction is a matter for the court to decide.

Seems to me that Floyd's death was the trigger, not - in and of itself - the cause. As such, it's not George Floyd being sanctified by the demonstrators, but the right of all people to be treated equally by all organs of the law, and for the response of those trusted with administering that law to do so in a way which is justified by the circumstances.

No worries, I didn't read that.

But, not even only that. It’s probably safe to say that any narrative which gathers together elements as disparate as a man’s choking death at the hands of a Minneapolis policeman, Kurdish freedom fighters, Margaret Thatcher, the Red Army Faction, ISIS, British intelligence, and – get this – Bomber Harris (Yes, really…Bomber Harris) - and hammer all those square pegs into the round hole of an alleged Antifa spearheaded plot to sow civil war in the US, is most definitely ‘gaming’ the issue at hand.

That wasn't what I said. A nasty man was in effect executed in the street (as far as we can tell from the video) . That will be tested in court. Had Floyd comitted any offence that merited the death penalty that also should have been tested in court.

My further point is that it is impossible to judge the US police or US attitudes to racism by UK standards. If the UK BLM protesters were transferred to, say Detroit or even Brooklyn, they would find out certain fundamental truths that would stagger them.

That wasn't what I said. A nasty man was in effect executed in the street (as far as we can tell from the video) . That will be tested in court. Had Floyd comitted any offence that merited the death penalty that also should have been tested in court.

My further point is that it is impossible to judge the US police or US attitudes to racism by UK standards. If the UK BLM protesters were transferred to, say Detroit or even Brooklyn, they would find out certain fundamental truths that would stagger them.

There are no standards in racism. It's just wrong wherever you are what are you on about?

You check verbally "A

There are no standards in racism. It's just wrong wherever you are what are you on about?

edit: So black people should feel all right as they'll only get pulled over for being black and maybe just roughed up a bit cause they live in the UK rather than being shot or strangled to death if they lived in the US?

You check verbally "A

I was trying to say, politely, that the levels of racism in the US are so far beyond the levels of racism in the UK that those pulling down statues in Bristol could maybe do with an experience of how bad racism can be. I was not defending racism, but the UK, for all it's faults, actually has quite a low level of self opinionated bigots.

Edit: Having lived in both countries.

I was trying to say, politely, that the levels of racism in the US are so far beyond the levels of racism in the UK that those pulling down statues in Bristol could maybe do with an experience of how bad racism can be. I was not defending racism, but the UK, for all it's faults, actually has quite a low level of self opinionated bigots.

Hmm, I find things quite the opposite these days and this is coming from a family who brought me up to get on with everyone.

I don't recognize my family these days - they'd been brainwashed and if you think we are that different from the US you are mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back