• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why Are Yawns Contagious?

A

Anonymous

They are, we all know that, right?

You sit amongst a group of people and someone lets out a huge yawn: before you know it you and everyone else in the group are sympathetically yawning in harmony.

Is there some tribal connection?
Does it have/has it had any sort of function?

Anyone have any ideas or am I completely barking?

I think it's supposed to reinforce the idea to the little monkey inside all of us that it's time for bed.

:eek: :)

Is there some tribal connection?
Before anybody else says it. Next time there's a programme about chimps, or gorillas on the TV, watch them. One member of the group's actions will quickly be echoed round the others. We are also strongly social animals.

Yawning may be so hard wired into our brains so that when the weakest members of a group of apes, or early humans became tired everybody else would start to feel tired too. The yawning acting as a trigger. That way there would be no arguments about stopping to rest up and no one would become too exhausted and weakened.

That certainly does make sense Androman.

I also like the idea of a little monkey inside me Minor Drag, but not in that way of course. :p

I always thought yawning was a reaction to low levels of oxygen in our bodies. A yawn is a BIG inhalation which tops up our oxygen levels. We don't just yawn when we are tired. Perhaps yawns are contagious because they are a warning sign that there may be low levels of oxygen or high levels of carbon dioxide in the air so yawning helps keep us alert. Or perhaps there is only one yawn and it just jumps from person to person accross the globe...

pi23 said:
Or perhaps there is only one yawn and it just jumps from person to person accross the globe...

Hehe - I would just love it if that was true!! :D

I seem to recall a program about monkeys (I've no idea why I'd be watching it, I don't really like nature documentaries or monkeys) saying that it was often the leader of a group who would yawn, and then all of the "subordinate" members of the group would follow, but if one of them initiated the yawn not all of the group would repeat. I'm not sure this is true, though :)

While reading about yawns, many people will yawn.

I am genuinely yawning right now just reading this thread.

Have any of you guys done the same?

No, No truly.....no joke or insult intended at all.

I am yawning again!

I mean it....my god there I go again!

Honestly, I find it very interesting.
I love the fact that we still dont really know why it happens.

I have just yawned again!

I believe its oxygen deprivation that causes it but a whole group of people cant be deprived of oxygen.

I am yawning right now but the trigger is this thread not because I have stopped breathing deeply.

Oxygen deprivation is not contagious. But yawns most certainly are. I have already yawned five times......oop, six times.

I used to think that it may be a way of stretching the muscles and joints in the head. Y'know when you have a good stretch, sometimes you can reach the point of no return and your whole body goes wierd. Well a yawn feels very similar to me.

We know that we don't consciously copy someone that yawns so I don't think its a case of "monkey see, monkey do". What I was trying to get at is that I think there may be an evolutionary reason why yawns are contagious. When we are low on oxygen we become rather sluggish and tired - yawning helps us to become alert again. So the monkeys that saw another monkey yawn and then yawned themselves were more alert than those that didn't and so had a greater likelyhood of surviving an attack from whatever it was that attacked monkeys it the distant past. This reaction became a genetic imprint - instinct if you will - just like blinking and sneezing - non-voluntary. I know I'm greatly over-simplifying evolutionary mechanics here but I think this theory makes a lot of sense.

No joke, I have just yawned again.

Its getting quite funny.

Is it happening to any of you guys?

St Clair - I was only joking, honestly ;)

Yes, I'm yawning too, but that's because work is sooo boring.

Quicksilver began by asking "Am I completely barking?"

Which reminded me that the contagious yawn can cross the
species barrier. I had a doggie whose stretching and yawning
ritual would have me doing the same. And, if I gave a big yawn, so
would she.

She would also yawn as a sign of submission or embarrassment,
if I waved a finger at her for doing something wicked. So it
certainly has a lot to do with pack animal behaiviour. And, yes,
it does work over the internet - I'm in the midst of a bout now!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yawning has nothing to do with low oxygen levels/high CO2 levels. New Scientist had a report about researchers who gave students O2 then yawned at them voila! yawning students.
It probably is to do with the primitive lizard center in your brain, social cohesion and all that crap.
Don't make them any the less annoying <YAWN>.crack.
Ouch that was my jaw!

In my job peeps are often exhausted to the point of tears. One yawn will travel through the staff and patients like wildfire. In this situation, I find myself thinking two things-

1. That person is tired. I am tired too. How enjoyable it would be to yawn.
2. Other people are yawning so nobody will be offended if I join in: they will not think they are boring me.

And yes, I am yawning too, having worked a full shift.

Caroline - that's just what I mean - when we are genuinely in need of a boost of oxygen we'll yawn - but if we see someone else yawn we'll react involuntarily - we might not need the boost of oxygen but our body yawns anyway because of the trigger.

On another point - what appears to be a yawn or a smile in another animal can often be something totally different. When apes and monkeys appear to be yawning or smiling they are actually bearing their teeth in an aggresive or defensive reaction - it's just that we humans anthropomorphise what they do and think it's a smile - just look at the PG Tips chimps...

I yawned as soon as I saw the thread title, and I'm still at it. The top part of my head may fall off.
In cats, so I'm told by some moggie-boffin or other, a yawn means "I'm comfortable with you. You may approach" and from personal observation that would seem to be the case. After all, they can't see you for a second when they yawn, so it's a pretty trusting thing to do.

Its the same with giggling isn't it. When one person gets the giggles and goes on giggling incessantly you can't help but start laughing yourself - even if you don't know what you're laughing at. I have a Limp Bizkit CD which has a whole trackof someone laughing. I always play it when I need cheering up. Always works.

Yawning and giggling must be built into our genes, like smiling and crying. :)

Is that the last track on Starfish cos if it is it annoys the fcuk out of me?!
However 'Horny' by Chocolate Mousse Tea on 'Our Kid Eh' by the Shirehorses has me ROFLMAO

I seem to recall that Yawning is fairly common in social animals and generally indicates comfort and "I'm not doing anything else at the moment, wanna play?"

Caroline said:
Is that the last track on Starfish cos if it is it annoys the fcuk out of me?!
However 'Horny' by Chocolate Mousse Tea on 'Our Kid Eh' by the Shirehorses has me ROFLMAO
It is and when I don't need cheering up I agree with you 1000%!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pi23 said:
Caroline - that's just what I mean - when we are genuinely in need of a boost of oxygen we'll yawn - but if we see someone else yawn we'll react involuntarily - we might not need the boost of oxygen but our body yawns anyway because of the trigger.

On another point - what appears to be a yawn or a smile in another animal can often be something totally different. When apes and monkeys appear to be yawning or smiling they are actually bearing their teeth in an aggresive or defensive reaction - it's just that we humans anthropomorphise what they do and think it's a smile - just look at the PG Tips chimps...

Is that why so many athletes yawn across the finish line? I'm guessing its not biological fact - but put me right if you know.

however, not to worry you but have you considered a common factor here? I myself was convinced that week-ends always smelled slightly different to weekdays. Until one Xmas I got a pair of underpants. Now with 2 pairs to get me from laundry day to laundry day I realise that to keep raising the question with those around me was a bit of a fau pas!

This yawning is catching, and not too easy to stop once you get started. I remember sending a yawn to the east coast, a thousand miles away, by post card! They yawned in response to the card. What ever causes us to do it is amazing.

I seem to remember reading that yawns had a negligible biological effect (at least when it comes to oxygen levels).

Perhaps its function is entirely social, like smiling.

I sometimes use yawning as a way of calming some of my more rowdy classes, it does work sometimes.

beakboo said:
I yawned as soon as I saw the thread title, and I'm still at it. The top part of my head may fall off.
In cats, so I'm told by some moggie-boffin or other, a yawn means "I'm comfortable with you. You may approach" and from personal observation that would seem to be the case. After all, they can't see you for a second when they yawn, so it's a pretty trusting thing to do.

Why, when cats yawn, do they seem almost capable of turning their heads inside out?

Carole, who has yawned almost non-stop whilst reading this thread

Carol they need that gape in order to bite ankles all the better.:)

Why Are Yawns Contagious?

Cos we're all bored to death.

If you were on a crashing airliner you could yawn all you like, I doubt anyone else would start!

As for oxygen depletion, how many athletes do you see yawning after a race?

See? It's all linked to mind numbing boredom. ;)

Back