• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why Do Ghosts Wear Sheets?

In the M R James story, There Was A Man Dwelt By A Churchyard, the ghost is depicted as something like that but with a small difference. I think the bunched 'top-knot' makes this ghost all the more terrifying.

There Was A Man Dwelt By A Churchyard, full text.

Have you ever seen an old brass in a church with a figure of a person in a shroud? It is bunched together at the top of the head in a curious way. Something like that was sticking up out of the earth in a spot of the churchyard which John Poole knew very well. He darted into his bed and lay there very still indeed.

Presently something made a very faint rattling at the casement. With a dreadful reluctance John Poole turned his eyes that way. Alas!

Between him and the moonlight was the black outline of the curious bunched head . . . Then there was a figure in the room. Dry earth rattled on the floor. A low cracked voice said ‘Where is it?’ and steps went hither and thither, faltering steps as of one walking with difficulty. It could be seen now and again, peering into corners, stooping to look under chairs; finally it could be heard fumbling at the doors of the cupboard in the wall, throwing them open. There was a scratching of long nails on the empty shelves. The figure whipped round, stood for an instant at the side of the bed, raised its arms, and with a hoarse scream of ‘YOU’VE GOT IT!’

Winding sheet.

Who didn't know that?

I wish he wouldn't keep saying Hellowe'en.

fa38719244bca82369ce76da578be4d8.jpg

There's a nice picture of, I think, someone who might be Dr Dee rasining a ghost. The ghost has the giveaway top-knot!

That's the one I was thinking of - but it isn't a shroud is it? It's a grave-specific nightshirt with a statement ruffle down the front!

Please share this secret knowledge. Last time I changed a duvet cover the cats attacked while I was trying to push the corners in!

The former Mr Quar once spent about an hour trying to fit a double duvet onto a king-sized duvet. When he discovered his mistake he wasn't annoyed, in fact he was pleased, because it proved he was right and the job was impossible.

Pesonally I just pull the quilt cover corners out then grab the quilt and hold the corners of it onto the quilt cover corner, one at a time, shove one up then do the same with the other, then when both in grab them both, pick up and shake, or alternately do this

Turn the cover inside out.

Reach all the way down inside and grab the corners.

Still holding the corners, grab the two corresponding corners of the duvet.

Pull the corners towards you and the cover will slide down the duvet.

Couple of shakes and you should be sorted.

Back