• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why Do So Many Fictional Ghost Stories End In Death?

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
I was reading a collection of stories a few years ago and almost all of them ended with a death. It got quite boring. I’ve not long watched a ghost story on TV and again another death. Why?

I like a nice scary story where people experience something weird and then get on with their lives like happens in the real world. Well I at least hope there aren’t that many death by ghosts out there. :reap:

Sadly, I think you're on to something. Ghost and fay related phenomena have clearly fascinated us ape descendants since early in our prehistory. The sad reality is that these phenomena are odd, but the sheer lack of impact on our everyday world of whatever these things might actually be is noticeable. But in myth, folklore and literature, they make a good story, but only those stories impart more actual power to them.

I was reading a collection of stories a few years ago and almost all of them ended with a death. It got quite boring. I’ve not long watched a ghost story on TV and again another death. Why? ...

That's how they reproduce on the other side of the veil ... :smug:

OK, OK ... :mcoat:

Back