• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why Do UFOs Have Lights?

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Why is it necessary for UFO craft to have lights anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
jimv1 said:

That is an interesting comment. If they didn't have lights (especially at nighttime), then they wouldn't be UFO's would they?

Cavynaut said:
..If they didn't have lights (especially at nighttime), then they wouldn't be UFO's would they?
Un-noticed Flying Objects?

There could be hundreds of them.

Cavynaut said:
jimv1 said:

That is an interesting comment. If they didn't have lights (especially at nighttime), then they wouldn't be UFO's would they?

An Unidentified Flying Object doesn't have to have lights. All sorts of unilluminated things could be described as UFOs. I just find it odd that those in the category of 'craft' are extremely elusive, yet at night are lit up like Xmas trees in the corner of a Disco.

stuneville said:
Cavynaut said:
..If they didn't have lights (especially at nighttime), then they wouldn't be UFO's would they?
Un-noticed Flying Objects?

There could be hundreds of them.

Good point. Maybe we should be looking at the sky with infra red enabled on the camcorder. Or something.

jimv1 said:
Cavynaut said:
jimv1 said:

An Unidentified Flying Object doesn't have to have lights. All sorts of unilluminated things could be described as UFOs. I just find it odd that those in the category of 'craft' are extremely elusive, yet at night are lit up like Xmas trees in the corner of a Disco.

This is not a slight on the original poster by the way. It takes a lot of nerve to put an other-wordly experience on here.

If UFO's are craft, whether secret projects by the military, or alien in origin, then possibly they do simply display lights as navigational/safety requirements. After all, even technically advanced aliens may feel the need to have aids during the hours of darkness. There's also the drive mechanism. Again in the absence of knowledge as to whether they are craft, then we don't know how they are propelled. Maybe the drive gives off radiation in the visible spectrum or emit something which fluoresces the atmosphere around them. Then again maybe they are all just misinterpreted natural things like stars/planets/manoeuvering trucks. My instinct is this sounds odd though, and because its so local to me, I'm keen to find out what happened.

Maybe some UFOs have lights because they want to be seen?

gncxx said:
Maybe some UFOs have lights because they want to be seen?

One of the best ufo cases i know about from my area,took place around 4.30 am,two cars two people one woman one man they do not know each other both heading same way,both cars engines stopped then they both see just above trees half Circle of tennis ball size white lights they looked at this the object moved a little then went out/off in the blink of a eye.

I think the ufos keep lights off as much as they need to,so they dont get seen by to many people.

jimv1 said:
An Unidentified Flying Object doesn't have to have lights.

That's true unless they are military or somewhat: then, they'll have the usual bunch of lights mandated for flying craft.

However, the one-and-only UFO I've ever seen did have lights and loads of them. Didn't seem to be for illumination so much as an aftereffect of something else -- propulsion, perhaps.

Just a question that struck me, and I don't know if it's been addressed here before. Sorry if it has and I just missed it.

If ufos are extraterrestial craft, why on earth would they need lights? If they are that advanced, then why? Landings? To dodge other ufos or our craft? Or is the reason more murky, that they want to be seen by us. Seems to me that if the ETs are so advanced they could come up with a way to be more stealthy about their visits, I mean if they really wanted to.

Anyone clear this up for me, or point me to the MB postings that addresses this question?

Thanks.

TD

I read a book (loooooong time ago so cant remember its name) in which it was stated UFOs brightly coloured lights where for the purpose of inducing a trance in the observer leading to an easier abduction... :roll:

It might just be a feature of the spacecraft technology - plasma plume around the craft, creating a 'slipstream' effect to reduce drag while in the atmosphere, and to keep radiation at bay while in space.

well whatever means of propultion is used its most likley to blame for the lights
iirc triangular craft have a light in each corner and one in the middle
just where you would need an engine (so to speak) if you wanted to travel in any direction

i used to think it was odd that they chose to fly at night when they are most visible(they seem to be a bit secrative lol)
but if you think about it ,almost every single person is asleep by 2am
the ones that arnt are usually too drunk to be aware of anything but kebabs

meaning although they are more visable they have alot less chance to be seen

imo the lights are due to a type of mercury vortex engine
add to that they are seen very frequently around military instalations kinda gives the game away from which planet they are from....

iirc triangular craft have a light in each corner and one in the middle
just where you would need an engine (so to speak) if you wanted to travel in any direction

I saw one up close and it didn't have anything in the middle top or bottom whichever way round that was.

It is a strange thing though, the one I say had red white and green so I assumed they were meant to copy plane navigation lights. That said each colour on each end was arranged in banks of six rather than single lights so that doesn't make sense particularly.

The black triangle I saw had lots of tiny white lights all along the outside edge.

Maybe because space is so dark?
Of course if they used light outside the visible human spectrum, I'm sure they wouldn't draw as much attention. Spacewhores - the lot of 'em.

gncxx said:
What about decoration?

I like to imagine aliens are the teenage rebels of their race, dared to drive as close to the populated rock as possible by their peers.

The lights are the equivalent of the neon blue lights that earth kids stick underneath their Vauxhall Novas.

McAvennie_ said:
gncxx said:
What about decoration?

I like to imagine aliens are the teenage rebels of their race, dared to drive as close to the populated rock as possible by their peers.

The lights are the equivalent of the neon blue lights that earth kids stick underneath their Vauxhall Novas.

:rofl:

If UFO's are extraterrestrial in origin, then would it really be so odd that they need to navigate safely when they are travelling at low speeds or where they may come into conflict with others? I mean, picture the scene. They take off from their base on Planet Zog, and as it's considered a hub base, there's lots of other Zoggy craft flying about. Maybe they have a strong seagoing background and still think of rules like 'Green to green, red to red, perfectly safe to go ahead'. The interior of the craft is likely to be well lit, and just like us, they want the blinds open so they can watch the dumb earthlings and their ridiculous flying machines.

Therefore they have lights for the same reason we do, so they can see where they are going inside the craft, and as an aid to safe navigation.

;)

Why do so many of them fly around slowly only a few hundred feet up and sometimes lower than that? To get noticed. Same with the lights, which have the added benefit of confusing camera light meters so people can't get good photos of them once their attention has been drawn to them by the lights.
I'm thinking US government myth making and paranoia generation here :- the most glaring (sorry) example being black triangles, which have very large lights at the corners. Assuming that they are a black project there is no military need for them I can conceive of, nor do they need to fly so low and slow for whatever trials they may be undergoing if they were prototypes - a low slow very large aircraft would get shot to pieces in a real combat situation.
That might or might not account for those UFOs which have lights on them but maybe not those which are lit all over, That's just the aliens, and @@@@ knows what they're up to.

low helps avoid radar
slow is usefull to lower your infra red crossection(craft heats up due to friction)

both are good for steath against electronic detection,
ok might be more visible to people on the ground but i kinda think they wont matter so much (they would need to have a means to harm the craft which id say 99.9% of the population of the planet dont have)all they could do is report the sighting by which time the craft is gone

id still say that these craft are government prodjects as no matter how black ops they were you would still need to train /practice with them.

d still say that these craft are government prodjects as no matter how black ops they were you would still need to train /practice with them.

Yes, it's possible that even after all this time the triangles might still be in need of testing and trialling. Might explain the helicopters seen following them - doing something like looking out for any bits that might have dropped off.

aeroplanes have been pritty much the same shape for 50 years plus

id say in that time they have probably developed some new bits ( you think?)

what else would you use to track a slow moving stealth craft ? hot air baloon
fast jets?

and id also say the people who were trained to fly said craft might also be prone to ageing ( they wont live forever so might need replacements trained up)and like the rest of us will make mistakes
also dont most every airforce in the world constantly have there pilots flying to keep them up to speed so to say?

this is a bit more likly than aliens imho

what else would you use to track a slow moving stealth craft ? hot air baloon
fast jets?

Actually jets have been seen pursuing triangles.

and id also say the people who were trained to fly said craft might also be prone to ageing

Well yes, and any pilot who flew the triangle early in their career would probably be due for retirement by now, since they have been seen since the 80s. Other black projects like the SR71 and the F117 were eventually revealed to the wider world, but not the triangle.

also dont most every airforce in the world constantly have there pilots flying to keep them up to speed so to say?

Certainly seems to be the case with triangles, in the US sightings of them are a daily occurrence.

this is a bit more likly than aliens imho

Definitely, but the Pentagon seems to be going out of it's way to get them noticed whilst not actually disclosing anything about them, which leads me to suspect that whatever it's intended military purpose they are making the most of it's ufologist-bamboozling potential .

Back