• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why Do UFOs Spin?

paigetheoracle

Junior Acolyte
Looking at the various reports and films of flying saucers, the question arises in my mind, why do the majority spin? There must be some advantage to it. I even remember film of a cylinder in Soviet airspace, that corkscrewed away, pursued by fighters (See gun rifling for the same effect with bullets i.e. spiralled chamber0. We know from their antics that they have some anti-gravity mechanism that allows them to float in mid-air and various shots that seem to suggest short leap teleportation but nobody as far as I know has asked this obvious question or answered (correct me if I'm wrong). There was a question in The New Scientist's Last Word column about why a bicycle is hard to balance and keep upright when stationary but requires little effort when moving. An engineer from some university came up with a really ludicrously complex and totally erroneous answer in my opinion, missing out the simple fact that forward momentum cancels out gravity as long as you are centrally balanced. The same thing is true with spinning tops, balanced on a point - the pull of gravity is equalized all the way around as long as there is momentum driving the top forward, keeping it in place. This point is easily demonstrated by rolling a coin along the ground - as momentum fades gravity starts to pull it to one side in a spiral as we see with liquids (3-D version of this): See books by various authors on Viktor Schaubergers work for follow ups to this. Gyroscopes come into this as well, not only as glorified spinning tops but because of work by people like Eric Laithwaite and other engineers that pinpointed how this spinning motion could be utilized by flying saucers, even if only accidently by inspiring people like me in the UFO field.

I suspect that they're reported as spinning because people expect them to spin, thinking about the way that stones spin when they're skipped across water, or the way that frisbees move. People have expectations and often see what they expect to.

As for the majority of UFOs spinning, you're only talking about a subset of the disks and cylinders, I'd guess the majoity of UFOs are lights or formations of lights...

We know from their antics that they have some anti-gravity mechanism that allows them to float in mid-air and various shots that seem to suggest short leap teleportation

We don't know this, it's just some peoples interpretation of their behaviour, for example, they could be three dimensional intrusions into our space of something that exists in several other dimension, i.e. we're only seen the tips of some larger structure.

Do the majority of 'classic' disks actually spin? Many people who claim to have seen them on the ground report seeing an outer rim start rotating just before take off. When seen from below, the rotating rim might well give the viewer the illusion that the entire saucer is rotating.

As Martin Kottmeyer puts it:
A non-spinning saucer would probably be more useful. It is hard to imagine anybody functioning very well in a spinning saucer. The prospect of aliens emerging from a saucer disoriented and puking their guts out veers into the area of slapstick and visceral disbelief.
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~magonia/ms23.htm

(You could also create the illusion of rotation simply by flashing lights in sequence around the rim. Why would you want to? Smoke and mirrors, innit?)

ive always though that if they do indeed exist,the reason for there aparent "jumps"is due to them not being in our time frame
speed =distance/time
without time speed would =distance.so from our point of veiw they would seem to jump,or as has been reported do some really odd and mostly impossible manovers.but from theres they would simply be moving from one spot to another.

Saucers in 1950s films like Forbidden Planet and Earth vs the Flying Saucers spin, but which came first, the films or the sightings? Which influenced the other?

It could be that the most efficient way a saucer shaped object - or vehicle -to manoever would be to spin. I think the Levitron has enormous implications.....

http://www.ctglabs.com/levitron1.htm

.....but you don't hear a lot about it.

And don't forget those saucers in Gerry Anderson's UFO - spun didn't they?
I can picture them even now when I'm looking up at the tree line when I'm driving down a country lane!

Dan

TinFinger said:
speed =distance/time
without time speed would =distance.
I'm sorry, but that's bollocks. Yes, there might be some mechanism for twisting time itself to achieve high speeds - who knows what's possible? - but speed does not equal distance, however fast you travel. They're just not the same thing.

There´s a Gary Larson strip where you see the aliens coming out of the flying saucer and being all dizzy from the spinning. It does seem like a bad idea to spin the whole thing, better to just use a spinning section if going for stability. However I think the gyroscopic ffect from that would make certain manouvers rather difficult.

Plates on sticks won't stay up unless they're spinning. I agree with the theory that it could be the imprint of what we expect to see which shapes the individual's perception of whatever they are experiencing.

Further than that, they may not even be discs at all. Remember, they used to be more like Verne-esque airships....just one step ahead of modern science.

Why would people expect saucers to spin? Some kind of unconscious association between the saucer shape and frizbees maybe? There's definitely something more aesthetically pleasing about a saucer that spins than one that doesn't. (Well, so it seems to me anyhow.)

appearing to spin may simply be an optical illusion or a matter of perception. And another thing, just because the OUTSIDE of a UFO is spinning, that doesn't mean the INSIDE is spinning.

Just a couple thoughts.

Wasn't the original Arnold description of 'saucer' a reference to the motion and not the shape of the 'craft' he witnessed anyway?

TinFinger said:
ive always though that if they do indeed exist,the reason for there aparent "jumps"is due to them not being in our time frame
speed =distance/time
without time speed would =distance.so from our point of veiw they would seem to jump,or as has been reported do some really odd and mostly impossible manovers.but from theres they would simply be moving from one spot to another.

Exactly! I have this idea that they have wormhole technology, and can create mini-wormholes. Thus, their mode of transport is part flying, part teleportation through a wormhole. To an outside observer, they would seem to be flying at an incredible speed, but the acceleration onboard would not be particularly high - saucer occupants would not have to be able to withstand 10g, etc. The saucer would flutter between dimensions as it flew along.
The wormhole technology might also explain how they might be able to travel from a star far, far away (I am making that assumption).

graylien said:
Why would people expect saucers to spin? Some kind of unconscious association between the saucer shape and frizbees maybe? There's definitely something more aesthetically pleasing about a saucer that spins than one that doesn't. (Well, so it seems to me anyhow.)

Well, frisbees spin and they fly quite well. Perhaps the outer skin of a saucer spins a little in order to give the craft some gyroscopic stability. If we go with the mini-wormhole theory I mention above, the saucers actually don't need to fly or manoeuvre that fast.

but speed does not equal distance, however fast you travel. They're just not the same thing.

speed=distance diveded by time..you follow?..

would become

speed=distance..

so the speed of the object would be the distance it has traveled as time isnt involved..

im saying they might be able to exclude themselves from our time frame

you might dissagre and yes this is just a thought from this particular "idiot"

i believe it's just our perceptions and expectations that we see these shapes spin.

as stated in the forum, arnold's "saucers" were cresent shaped, and how would they spin, the same premise counting for the cigar-shaped and trangular craft that have been spotted.

plus, from my own personal memory i recall that most sightings of the classic saucer shape have been debunked, those with photographic evidence have been showed as hoaxes. as the term was coined purely by the press, is it then not reasonable to assume that these ships are something that is in the public consciousness and therefore put ahead of UFOs of other shapes.

TinFinger said:
I said:
...but speed does not equal distance, however fast you travel. They're just not the same thing.
speed=distance diveded by time..you follow?..

would become

speed=distance..

so the speed of the object would be the distance it has traveled as time isnt involved..
This is where I said "bollocks" before, and I apologise if that upset you. However, it still makes little sense.
im saying they might be able to exclude themselves from our time frame

you might dissagre and yes this is just a thought from this particular "idiot"
I didn't call you an idiot, Tinfinger, and am not doing so now. What I tried to explain, in my rather clumsy way, was that in mathematics, you can't just remove one element from an equation, and claim that two unlike things are then the same as each other. Speed is measured in metres per second (or some unit of your choice, but this is the normal one in physics), and distance is measured in metres. The only way your speed (in m/s) will be in any way the same as the distance you've travelled (in m) is if the time taken = 1 second. And I'm sure this is not what you were trying to argue at all.

If I read you right, what you were driving at was that, if one could somehow circumvent "time" as we understand it, then vast distances could be covered in a very short amount of time, possibly no time at all. This would essentially mean either a vast speed, or a tiny distance. If you don't want the huge accelerations that enormous speed in a short time would require, then what you are postulating is the ability to "warp" space/time so that distant areas are brought closer together for the duration of your journey. I've studied relativity (a bit!), and I'm quite willing to accept this method as the most likely mean of FTL travel.

What the f*** all my quibbling over mathematical terminology has to do with the reason why UFOs appear to spin, though, I've frankly no idea...

ihatethatmonkee3 said:
as stated in the forum, arnold's "saucers" were cresent shaped, and how would they spin, the same premise counting for the cigar-shaped and trangular craft that have been spotted.

like a boomerang?

Kath

Maybe for the same reason that young Earthlings put neon lights underneath their cars - to impress da alien chicks?

(And while I'm at it - if the Aliens want to stay hidden, they are doing a bad job. And if they wish to communicate with us - ditto!)

em yes and no

im saying that maybe its possible to make time = 0,not that time dont exsist just that its irrelevant.in the same way we now know that weight can be made to= 0 (in space objects have mass but no weight)
in the past im quite sure they would never have even imagined how it would be possible to make 1 pound of lead not have any weight(ok it would still have mass )

also iirc gravity is caused by a mass curving space/time.now if time =0 im not sure what that would do to the pull of gravity on any said object but it would be kinda neat if it meant that you didnt have to cope with all the G forces involved(no gravity would mean no g force).as the curve of space time was also affected by negating time to a meaningless value(?)

obviously this is all nonsense in moderday maths n physics,but im quite sure we cant as yet with said subjects do any of the things postulated here

and in a round about way my thoughts are as to why there seems to be a revolving nature to some ufos,is the same reason a spinning top stays stable.if you are negotiating with an electromagnetic feild inside a large unstable magnetic feild its probably best to spin to add some stablility to yourself.the same way the earth spins as it revolves the sun.(the suns magnecic/gravitific feild vs the earths)

but i could never figure why ufos have lights at night but not during the day..

TinFinger said:
but i could never figure why ufos have lights at night but not during the day..

For the same reasons that young Earthlings have neon lights under...

Ok, I'll get my coat.

I think I've got it. While the aliens have the technology to traverse interstellar space, they never developed the windscreen wiper, so, to keep their windows clear, they make the craft spin when they are in the atmosphere and this, coupled to a liberal application of some alien version of Perma Clear windscreen coating means they can see where they are going. Occams Razor at its best. :roll:

it may be to neutralize gravity along with some other mechanism at work, at a certain speed in a certain configuration gravity can be overcome using spin. I'm not explaining that tho, or how I know, but it's proven fact, tho MOST atheist, Catholic and liberal scientists, at least in the mainstream community.

The 'proven fact' probably refers to the work of Podkletnov and Ning Li
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Podkletnov
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ning_Li_(physicist)
This all seemed very interesting back in the 1990's, but it turned out to be bollocks.

That you began your reply with an assumption and call it "probable" shows...

*BLAH-BLAH-BLAH*

I left the insults that were posted in place for a few days, but as the poster
has not returned to edit them, they have now been removed - Yith

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not how we do business here. By all means disagree, but do so respectfully.

As you are a new arrival, I shall give you some time to moderate your tone--the edit function is available to you. Search around the forum; you will find few posts extant that read like yours.

Edit: see above.

Last edited:
where are all the former alien-hub members now, eh? :) I guess some went to unexplainedmysteries.com, some went to alienexpanse.com, some went to alienbabble.com or to ufoseek.com, but none of them are responding to the question.. why are ufo's spinning? I think the majority of aliens visiting earth use CGI to fool humans on the internet with images of all kinds of vehicles flying next to airplanes, like rotating cigar-shaped objects, orbs of light and megastructures that seem weightless, like entire pyramids that levitate and mammoth space-ships with laser-guns, like battlestar galactica and the space-crafts that seem to belong to the star-trek federation.. plus thousands of different types of anti-gravity saucers.. whatever flying object that is not identified in time is immediately tracked by the army, constantly, to find out wether there are illegal immigrants (aliens) onboard, so any real aliens visiting this planet in a flying saucer have A HUGE CHANCE of arriving on the earth and leaving again, no problemo, most humans will think they were faked in Hollywood anyway, using CGI.. the more fake/cgi a ufo looks, the better, that is why they appear to be rotating.. what you get now is people complaining grey aliens are using our collective conscience against us and the sort of paranoia when they are being contacted and even abducted in their sleep/dreamstate..

Last edited:
it may be to neutralize gravity along with some other mechanism at work, at a certain speed in a certain configuration gravity can be overcome using spin. I'm not explaining that tho, or how I know, but it's proven fact, tho MOST atheist, Catholic and liberal scientists, at least in the mainstream community.

Or.... they could be doubling as cement mixers to make all their base that belong to them.

Back