Why No Classes On Cryptozoology?

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
Reaction score
I might take that class.

I humbly suggest "Becoming a Critical Thinker: A Guide for the New Millennium" by Robert Todd Carroll for the course reading list. A thick book on cognitive biases would also be a useful thing, but I don't know of such.
I would structure it first for the "cryptozoologist" that frequent Bigfoot conferences and Facebook groups. They seem to get their info from YouTube, mostly. So, Bob's book would be a bit too much. But, as I said, paranormal topics are great examples with which to teach critical thinking. I wish I had more time to develop these ideas. Getting to kids as early as possible is really important to influence their thinking for the future. College-age is even a bit too late but better late than never.

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I would structure it first for the "cryptozoologist" that frequent Bigfoot conferences and Facebook groups. They seem to get their info from YouTube, mostly. So, Bob's book would be a bit too much. But, as I said, paranormal topics are great examples with which to teach critical thinking. I wish I had more time to develop these ideas. Getting to kids as early as possible is really important to influence their thinking for the future. College-age is even a bit too late but better late than never.
I've often thought that would be good. It's an interesting topic by itself. I've got a study somewhere that evaluates critical thinking ability in college students and at entry, English students do best (on average) followed by material sciences and mathematics, but at graduation, the positions are reversed, but only just. There are studies showing 'critical thinking' is correlated with IQ, but is also with FFM 'openness', that is, openness to new experiences and situations. This makes sense, as to consider a new idea or possibility one must be open to it. This suggests that to be a good critical thinker you need to be open-minded.

It's also one of those skills that can be improved with training, as you say.

I'm not sure current politicians would like an electorate with good critical thinking skills!

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Reaction score