• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Education: Paranormal / Cryptozoology (Etc.) Courses

The Full Facts Book of Cold Reading: A Comprehensive Guide to the Most Persuasive Psychological Technique in the World: A Comprehensive Guide to the Manipulation Technique in the World

by Ian Rowland

Useful for its array of ways in which we can be hoodwinked tricked and discombobulated.

I might take that class.

I humbly suggest "Becoming a Critical Thinker: A Guide for the New Millennium" by Robert Todd Carroll for the course reading list. A thick book on cognitive biases would also be a useful thing, but I don't know of such.
I would structure it first for the "cryptozoologist" that frequent Bigfoot conferences and Facebook groups. They seem to get their info from YouTube, mostly. So, Bob's book would be a bit too much. But, as I said, paranormal topics are great examples with which to teach critical thinking. I wish I had more time to develop these ideas. Getting to kids as early as possible is really important to influence their thinking for the future. College-age is even a bit too late but better late than never.

I would structure it first for the "cryptozoologist" that frequent Bigfoot conferences and Facebook groups. They seem to get their info from YouTube, mostly. So, Bob's book would be a bit too much. But, as I said, paranormal topics are great examples with which to teach critical thinking. I wish I had more time to develop these ideas. Getting to kids as early as possible is really important to influence their thinking for the future. College-age is even a bit too late but better late than never.
I've often thought that would be good. It's an interesting topic by itself. I've got a study somewhere that evaluates critical thinking ability in college students and at entry, English students do best (on average) followed by material sciences and mathematics, but at graduation, the positions are reversed, but only just. There are studies showing 'critical thinking' is correlated with IQ, but is also with FFM 'openness', that is, openness to new experiences and situations. This makes sense, as to consider a new idea or possibility one must be open to it. This suggests that to be a good critical thinker you need to be open-minded.

It's also one of those skills that can be improved with training, as you say.

I'm not sure current politicians would like an electorate with good critical thinking skills!

I had a recent spat with a scholar.

He did not like the way I brought up Cryptozoology even tangentially.

He told me it was pseudoscience.

I asked him if it was indeed a pseudoscience, (a matter that as a Scientist myself, I have to avoid), then why do many naturalists of the highest reputations take the matter seriously?

(Incidentally I am permitted Fringe Archaeology, and Theoretical archaeology in my diet...)

... then why do many naturalists of the highest reputations take the matter seriously?

A modest handful. Certainly not "many".
The days of successful expeditions to discover "hidden" animals of lore in the dark forests are over.

For a mere £127 you can obtain a professional qualification that lets you turn base metal into gold....

alchemy.JPG

As of course people who can turn lead into gold, needs to make some extra money on teaching.

I can see how a study of the history of alchemy could be interesting - maybe leading into the study of the history of science and scientific technqiques. Purporting to actually teach alchemy would be a very different thing.

It doesn’t say it’s a practical course in altering elements. It says it‘s based on the history, myth, science, religion and I guess symbolism of Alchemy. If the course is good, it sounds like a bargain tbh.

Back