• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why The 'Case of Kersey Village' Was An Impressive Time-Slip (Suffolk 1957)

From my memories of the 50s, you would light a coal fire if it was a chilly day, regardless of what month it was! Houses, especially old ones, had none of the insulation that we are used to today. But the key point is that in regard to weather, outside the village it was cool, wheras once inside it was sunny and warm, more like spring than autumn. Outside they could hear church bells, inside they couldn't even see the church. There were distinct borders between the two realities. Inside there were no signs of people (and on a Sunday that would have been very unusual), the pub that exists today wasn't visible, and the key point about the building with the rotting carcass was that later on it was found that that had, indeed, once been a butcher's. So on balance I think this was a genuine event, but whether it was a simple time slip is in doubt. The unreal appearance of the ducks is a red flag.

The issue regarding the length of time slips is interesting. Some are indeed fleeting but many carry on long enough for the witnesses to have conversations with people there, have meals at long-shut restaurants, and so on. Very long ones are rare, Jimmy Two Hat's experience that he said lasted several months holds the record.
What was the Jimmy Two Hats one ?

What was the Jimmy Two Hats one ?
He was a very interesting character, he first posted his experience online and I contacted him and had a short but very intense exchange of emails. I included his detailed account in my Rougham report:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tjuu3rr9yrnwqg/THE ROUGHAM MYSTERY.pdf?dl=0

Whatever the truth about this experience he was certainly extremely well informed about all manner of strange and paranormal happenings. He terminated our contact very abruptly, but gave me permission to publish his story.

From my memories of the 50s, you would light a coal fire if it was a chilly day, regardless of what month it was! Houses, especially old ones, had none of the insulation that we are used to today. But the key point is that in regard to weather, outside the village it was cool, wheras once inside it was sunny and warm, more like spring than autumn. Outside they could hear church bells, inside they couldn't even see the church. There were distinct borders between the two realities. Inside there were no signs of people (and on a Sunday that would have been very unusual), the pub that exists today wasn't visible, and the key point about the building with the rotting carcass was that later on it was found that that had, indeed, once been a butcher's. So on balance I think this was a genuine event, but whether it was a simple time slip is in doubt. The unreal appearance of the ducks is a red flag.

The issue regarding the length of time slips is interesting. Some are indeed fleeting but many carry on long enough for the witnesses to have conversations with people there, have meals at long-shut restaurants, and so on. Very long ones are rare, Jimmy Two Hat's experience that he said lasted several months holds the record.
Some good points, i feel I need to look at this through a different lens, and feel drawn back into this case :)

Last edited:
He was a very interesting character, he first posted his experience online and I contacted him and had a short but very intense exchange of emails. I included his detailed account in my Rougham report:

Whatever the truth about this experience he was certainly extremely well informed about all manner of strange and paranormal happenings. He terminated our contact very abruptly, but gave me permission to publish his story.
Only a quarter way through and I’m hooked, a great research article…!

Ahh I read that before and massive respect for that Carl also was that a book you published ?

Ahh I read that before and massive respect for that Carl also was that a book you published ?
It's an internet document only, but the pdf has tons of maps and pictures so there is plenty to see. The link is for the final version, it has been through several versions and I decided I didn't want to spent eternity adding bits here and there as new data come out!

Time slips represent an interesting and compelling idea, but in the absence of convincing physical evidence, I don't see any way that they can ever move out of the realm of visionary experiences.

To be clear, I'm not saying that they are necessarily hogwash. Those alleged witnesses who aren't lying, deluded, or simply mistaken may well have experienced something genuinely unusual, and subjective experiences can be deeply important and impactful psychologically. However, ultimately they reveal more about the human mind than about physical reality.

What sort of physical evidence would be convincing? It's hard to think of useful examples that don't require the witness to be aware of the situation and act accordingly. Perhaps burying a modern artifact near a major landmark, making unmistakably modern inscriptions in a hidden place on an easily identifiable structure, or stealing a historical artifact of some importance?

Even if someone has the opportunity to act on such intentions, much can go wrong. Buried objects can be uncovered too early, by random persons, and their presence in the ground from earlier times can be hard to prove without precise stratigraphy.

What kind of mark is unmistakably modern? "Kilroy Was Here" could be mistaken for simple doodles of a face. Perhaps a clear reference to the internet? In any case, marks could be removed over time, and their true age isn't always easy to estimate, so they could have been made more recently.

If time slips are physically real, then artifacts stolen in the past should not exist in the intervening period. But how would historians verify absence? Let's say I produce a missing Fabergé egg to verify a time slip. How would I prove that I didn't just buy it off some family that had been hiding it for the last 100 years?

If time slips are physically real, then artifacts stolen in the past should not exist in the intervening period. But how would historians verify absence? Let's say I produce a missing Fabergé egg to verify a time slip. How would I prove that I didn't just buy it off some family that had been hiding it for the last 100 years?
That's an interesting question. With the right tools, some artifacts should have characteristics that indicate whether they have existed during the intervening time period, or have been brought forwards through some kind of 'portal'.

If an artifact made of wood can be dated thanks to dendrochronology (to 1300, say) but it has radiocarbon dating that shows it was only recently made, that could demonstrate some kind of timeslip. If the artifact shows no traces of radionuclides from atomic testing in the 1950s and 1960's, then it almost certainly did not exist during that time period.

And so on.

Time slips represent an interesting and compelling idea, but in the absence of convincing physical evidence, I don't see any way that they can ever move out of the realm of visionary experiences.

To be clear, I'm not saying that they are necessarily hogwash. Those alleged witnesses who aren't lying, deluded, or simply mistaken may well have experienced something genuinely unusual, and subjective experiences can be deeply important and impactful psychologically. However, ultimately they reveal more about the human mind than about physical reality.

What sort of physical evidence would be convincing? It's hard to think of useful examples that don't require the witness to be aware of the situation and act accordingly. Perhaps burying a modern artifact near a major landmark, making unmistakably modern inscriptions in a hidden place on an easily identifiable structure, or stealing a historical artifact of some importance?

Even if someone has the opportunity to act on such intentions, much can go wrong. Buried objects can be uncovered too early, by random persons, and their presence in the ground from earlier times can be hard to prove without precise stratigraphy.

What kind of mark is unmistakably modern? "Kilroy Was Here" could be mistaken for simple doodles of a face. Perhaps a clear reference to the internet? In any case, marks could be removed over time, and their true age isn't always easy to estimate, so they could have been made more recently.

You are quite correct, I have been trying to figure out what evidence would prove physically compelling for years! There are a handful of cases where physical time travel does seem the most plausible answer, for example the Australian Bypass case.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8m2siz6weai2rq/Bypass time slip.pdf?dl=0

But besides the fact that the witnesses travelled along a road yet to be built, what sort of physical evidence would confirm the story? Then there are older cases such as these where people allegedly got stuck in the wrong time:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3dqwpxkj6bbuchh/Golosov ravine - Notepad.pdf?dl=0

If my hypothesis is correct that these are all glitch phenomena, resulting from errors or modifications to a simulation of our physical reality, then there would be a likelihood that any really significant "physical evidence" would be quickly reprogrammed away.

If an artifact made of wood can be dated thanks to dendrochronology (to 1300, say) but it has radiocarbon dating that shows it was only recently made, that could demonstrate some kind of timeslip. If the artifact shows no traces of radionuclides from atomic testing in the 1950s and 1960's, then it almost certainly did not exist during that time period.

And so on.
Wouldn't it just be called a 'fake'?

How would you fake something made from 1300's wood? I suppose you could keep an object inside a sealed airtight vault to avoid contamination by radioactive fallout, but you would have to place said object in a vault way back in 1945.

Well, there's a thing.
I only watched a You Tube channel presentation on this very case.
I was interested in digging deeper.

EnolaGaia: "Another issue that bothers me is whether the trio was traveling strictly along the established lanes, versus hiking cross-country."
I'd imagine that the cadets, being only 15-16, the Navy wouldn't push them too much. The object of the exercise is to teach them basic navigation and map-reading.
I did it myself as a cadet in the St.Johns Ambulance brigade.
Which sounds a bit weird but there you go.

How would you fake something made from 1300's wood? I suppose you could keep an object inside a sealed airtight vault to avoid contamination by radioactive fallout, but you would have to place said object in a vault way back in 1945.
I think I was slightly misreading your original post, which was why I thought it would be easy to do!

There is a very good thread on timeslips in general section, I think some of this input would be better there

Back