Why The 'Case of Kersey Village' Was An Impressive Time-Slip (Suffolk 1957)

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
True!
Do you have a date for that map? The impression I get is of something too small to be a building, maybe just a shed or something, quite close to the "gate".
Hey, sorry for the delay, I got diverted as usual. Yes, I also though it was too small, but anything will do at the moment- lack of info is becoming too infuriating! It is from 1883-84.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
The 1837 map that I used in the report also shows something in the relevant area. I have tried to sharpen the image a bit:
Yes I think that's the best one we've got and possibly far enough south from the road. - (I notice the wood on the right doesn't yet have the 'flare' at the north end of it on this map.) Am I correct in saying that there are two public footpaths running from Church Road to Freewood Street here?

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Just had a quick look on Google Maps and on street view there are clearly two signed footpaths.
Thought so. On your old map though, there only appears to be one. I wondered if the one on the left wasn't there then due to the fact it would have meant it would've run throught the grounds of our 'house'. I'd love to have a walk around here and Kingshall/Gypsy Lane.

Carl Grove

Abominable Snowman
Google Earth or Google Maps both give you a street view and I have lately used the latter more as it loads faster. You can wander around the whole area and get a good idea of how things seem -- you might spot something everyone else has missed! It is rare to find anyone else walking around Rougham, by the way -- although it isn't way out in the country, aside from passing cars it feels quite isolated.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Google Earth or Google Maps both give you a street view and I have lately used the latter more as it loads faster. You can wander around the whole area and get a good idea of how things seem -- you might spot something everyone else has missed! It is rare to find anyone else walking around Rougham, by the way -- although it isn't way out in the country, aside from passing cars it feels quite isolated.
Yes, it's great. A bit too addictive though to be honest! Do you get down there often?

Carl Grove

Abominable Snowman
Yes, it's great. A bit too addictive though to be honest! Do you get down there often?
Not these days. Domestic issues take priority, also if you are reliant on buses, it's rather sad. One route goes to Rougham, the other to Bradfield. When I tried the Bradfield bus, as I got off the driver remarked that I was the only passenger he had known ever to get off there... When we decided to move here in 2003, we had no idea how abysmal the local buses are in Suffolk. Living in London for 50 odd years gets you used to being able to go anywhere you want at any time by public transport.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Not these days. Domestic issues take priority, also if you are reliant on buses, it's rather sad. One route goes to Rougham, the other to Bradfield. When I tried the Bradfield bus, as I got off the driver remarked that I was the only passenger he had known ever to get off there... When we decided to move here in 2003, we had no idea how abysmal the local buses are in Suffolk. Living in London for 50 odd years gets you used to being able to go anywhere you want at any time by public transport.
Yes, public transport is pretty dire all over (outside of London) I think. Everywhere I've lived anyway. I don't enjoy driving a car anymore, not to mention the cost of it, and I've been considering a little scooter lately, (just for local use), but the climate (and roads) here put me off somewhat. I think I would be far more suited to the South of France.

Carl Grove

Abominable Snowman
Yes, public transport is pretty dire all over (outside of London) I think. Everywhere I've lived anyway. I don't enjoy driving a car anymore, not to mention the cost of it, and I've been considering a little scooter lately, (just for local use), but the climate (and roads) here put me off somewhat. I think I would be far more suited to the South of France.
I think I would be more suited to a nice Greek island! The real shock when we first moved here was when my wife took me to a nice restaurant in town, and afterwards, around 7pm, we sat waiting for a bus... until a kind passer-by informed us that there were no buses after 6! We can't always afford taxis -- in fact, recently, usually when taking our dog in to the vet, I have had to use my wife's mobility scooter..
Not sure if you follow that very good forum on Reddit, Glitch in the Matrix, always lots of interesting cases. One recently concerned people who have experienced a brief period of blackness all over a small area, and it reminded me of the blackness that filled half of a room in that bungalow at Gypsy Lane. I thought it was unique to Rougham, but I have come upon two similar cases, one in Liverpool.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
I think I would be more suited to a nice Greek island! The real shock when we first moved here was when my wife took me to a nice restaurant in town, and afterwards, around 7pm, we sat waiting for a bus... until a kind passer-by informed us that there were no buses after 6! We can't always afford taxis -- in fact, recently, usually when taking our dog in to the vet, I have had to use my wife's mobility scooter..
Not sure if you follow that very good forum on Reddit, Glitch in the Matrix, always lots of interesting cases. One recently concerned people who have experienced a brief period of blackness all over a small area, and it reminded me of the blackness that filled half of a room in that bungalow at Gypsy Lane. I thought it was unique to Rougham, but I have come upon two similar cases, one in Liverpool.
Terrible, although being quite reclusive, restaurants/cinemas et al don't factor into my life! -I will have a look at that site.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Nothing to do with Rougham et al, but your mention of living in London for 50 years got me thinking that you may like this site; https://www.reelstreets.com/ It shows many 'then and now' shots of location filming. Even though I don't know London really, it's very interesting to see the changes (or how things are still the same in some cases). It shows photos of films that were shot all over the country, but there are a lot down the London area you may be interested in.

Carl Grove

Abominable Snowman
Nothing to do with Rougham et al, but your mention of living in London for 50 years got me thinking that you may like this site; https://www.reelstreets.com/ It shows many 'then and now' shots of location filming. Even though I don't know London really, it's very interesting to see the changes (or how things are still the same in some cases). It shows photos of films that were shot all over the country, but there are a lot down the London area you may be interested in.
Thanks for that! I have sent a message to you as we do seem to be drifting away from Kersey at the moment.