• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why Were These Ancient Adults Buried In Jars On Corsica?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
In spring 2019, researchers from the French National Institute for Preventive Archaeological Research (INRAP) found evidence of ancient tombs on the Corsica. Now, archaeologists have discovered a necropolis containing around 40 burials dated to between the third and sixth centuries A.D.

Scholars began excavating a pair of 6,458-square-foot sites in the center of Île Rousse, a village on the western coast of the island, in late February. They uncovered ceramic fragments and bones, many of which were interred in imported amphorae, or jars used mainly for transporting wine and olive oil.

jar.jpg

Île Rousse’s ancient inhabitants buried their dead in a variety of ways: Some of the tombs were cut directly into rock, while others were outfitted with terracotta materials, such as flat Roman tiles known as tegulae and rounded roofing tiles called imbrices. The majority of the remains were placed in amphorae scattered across the two sites. Per the statement, one individual was actually entombed in a set of nested amphorae.

Though evidence of such funerary rituals appears regularly in the archaeological record, scholars remain unsure of the practice’s purpose. As INRAP points out, amphora burials were typically reserved for infants and children, but the Île Rousse necropolis contains multiple adults who were laid to rest in the large, cylindrical vessels.

Ancient craftspeople probably manufactured the amphorae in Africa. Between the fourth and seventh centuries A.D., Corsica’s inhabitants imported amphorae containing wine, olive oil and brine from Carthage, a city in what is now Tunisia.

dscf5303.png

INRAP researchers are still determining the ages of the skeletons, which they say are in an “average state” of preservation, per RFI. No funerary offerings or goods were found buried alongside the deceased.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...-year-old-skeletons-buried-in-jars-180977508/

maximus otter

"Preventive archaeology" is one of multiple alternative names for "rescue archaeology" (i.e., excavations and studies aimed at examining sites before they are compromised or destroyed by construction projects or other threats).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_archaeology
Thank you, it sounded like a counterproductive form of archeology :)
Like they filled in holes dug by other archeologists at night when they weren't looking :hahazebs:

I'm hoping for tests which will determine if they were in, for example, oil or wine or brine.
I would imagine they were empty when they were used as funarary purposes, as the contents were imported and therefore expensive, but im only guessing.

I have a question!

Were the amphorae already broken in half to use as 'coffins', or have the bottom of the jar missing?

Otherwise, how would the bodies have been placed inside?

You can cut the bottom off - then post the body in?

I was trying to work out if the cut we see was done at the time or now, by the excavators.

I have a question!

Were the amphorae already broken in half to use as 'coffins', or have the bottom of the jar missing?

I'm thinking that the amphorae were just re-used as handy containers of the right size, after the contents had been used (probably olive oil).
It's a pauper's burial, I think.

I have a question!

It's an old sailor's trick, known as the "stiff in a bottle". They fold the body flat, push it through the neck, and then pull on a thread to get the body into the desired pose. They were mainly made for the souvenir trade.

Here's a diagram I found of them doing something similar with a model ship.

unnamed.jpg

It's an old sailor's trick, known as the "stiff in a bottle". They fold the body flat, push it through the neck, and then pull on a thread to get the body into the desired pose. They were mainly made for the souvenir trade.

View attachment 38101
That'd be quite a feat, considering the opening of the amphora versus the width of (say) the pelvic bones.

Amphorae were common shipping containers, and they were often recycled for funerary purposes. Their presence usually has more to do with practicality than status. The Corsican graves are noted as having no grave goods, so these were relatively modest burials.

They were most commonly used as grave markers, and their fragments were often used to cover a body in a grave.

My guess is that damaged or broken amphorae were chopped (into top and bottom sections) which were more or less bundled together after inserting the body. If the sections were taken from amphorae of different diameters one section could slide into the other to close up the assembly.

My Favourite is the Bronze age folk from Fife, buried in their coracles.

(Though some folk say they were actually Kayaks)

I wonder if it depended on your body shape. Semi-seriously.

View attachment 38101
Haha, this post came up on a search for something else. I blame "autocorrect". It was of course a "ship in a bottle". Interesting idea, though.

Back