• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why Women Are More Religious

... "Men are less religious because of testosterone", perhaps? ...

Yep, Rynner (wherever you are ... ) ... You were spot-on to pose the question ... It took over a decade for it to be made clear, but they've finally zeroed in and blamed it on testosterone poisoning ... :evillaugh:

Agreed ... And you're right - I got more than a chuckle out of reviewing the data presentations.

Somewhere there are pages and pages of those graphs!

When I was doing research on the ONS data, for practice we'd choose the daftest variables we could find to combine in a graph, like, I dunno, dog ownership+magazine subscriptions+fear of street crime to find out whether those aspects of people's lives correlated, and then we'd come up with ideas about why they did or not.

So... lets say all 3 correlated nicely. Why?

People who owned a dog might be more outgoing than non dog-owners because they need to walk the dog and would naturally get to know other dog-owners. They might feel less afraid when they go out because they'd expect the dog to guard them.

Subscribers to magazines might be more literate and educated than non-subscribers so might be more affluent and able to afford a car rather than walking everywhere when they aren't with the dog.

Would this make them less afraid of street crime? At first glance if all three variables corresponded - they made similar lines on the graph - it would seem that they did. You'd have to go back and ask a lot more questions to be sure.

It was a statistical exercise rather an attempt to find a real meaning; and we did move onto more serious efforts, but it taught us a lot about the old spurious correlations.

I know some of the reason is tied to women still are expected to do most of the child rearing and church communities provide aid in that. Food, event planning, tutoring. Poor families and single mothers make use of them and that encourages faith.
Not a cross the board this is why reason, but it's one factor.

If you had some New Age store, wouldn't most of the clientele be women as well?

Got passed this by an atheist group. Looks highly dubious to me. Are women more religious? Is atheism a "risk"? I never felt it was.
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2002-12/uow-wam121802.php

Note the bias in the article. There is nary a hint of the possibility that religion is a bad thing, and that what has happened is that women are just more gullible, cowardly, and too eager to conform to the expectations of a peer group. Do they mention that women are more likely to get mixed up in and victimized by cults too? So much for "strong women who can think for themselves".

Last edited:
Back