• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Would someone like to tell me what a 'bad public movie atom' is? I get it as an error when i try to play this...

I'm guessing from that trailer that there isn't much singing involved...

Still wondering what ever happned to the proposed "sequel" called Mayday that was mentioned by Christopher Lee in a BBC discussion with other original makers , a year or so back.

How very dare they!!!

Is nothing scared!

I quote Lydon "Burn Hollywood, burn".

mooks out

I hear they want to remake casablanca......

I have petrol, matches and so forth - also I can hold or hit....

I won't be watching the Alan whicker film above.............. :twisted: ;)

BlackRiverFalls said:
Would someone like to tell me what a 'bad public movie atom' is? I get it as an error when i try to play this...

I think it's telling you that the public feel every atom of this movie is bad.

morningstar667 said:
This looks like a pile of doggy doo, I hope it flops real badly
They appear to have gone overboard with the magic pixie dust.

Suppose they have to use up that special effects budget, somehow.

I blame the Harry Potter films.

GadaffiDuck said:
I hear they want to remake casablanca......

Too late: they called it Barb Wire

The 1996 motion picture adaptation was a star vehicle for Pamela Anderson, which was intended to enable her to cross over from television to movie stardom. With a plot based loosely on Casablanca, the film had Anderson playing the title role, a mercenary and nightclub owner in a cyberpunk future entrusted with looking after a pair of contact lenses necessary for the exposure of a political scandal. The film was critically mauled on its release, but became a moderate hit because of its star.

Looks a bit 2-d. They've borrowed the plot but changed the context and the subtext. I might watch a pirate copy for critical purposes but i'm not supporting pointless remakes.

CodenameThrow said:
Neil LaBute is a very good director
Yup agreed, Possesion was good. But don't forget James Cameron made Titanic and Coppolla made One from the Heart and Godfather 3. Anyone can make a dud at some point. Ridley Scott and Kingdom of God etc.
This movie looks worse each time I've looked at the trailer...Masochism? :lol:

I still say it's going to be anti-Pagan, and this trailer seems to confirm that to me, much more in common with the Devil Rides Out style of anti-witchcraft fervor than the gentle growijng horror of the original....

Just been to see the remake of the Wicker Man this evening.

Quick summary: it was bollocks.

Absolutely none of the wit, charm or music of the original. Naturally it's all been moved to America. Whereas in the original the story was based on actual British folklore, the remake scriptwriters seem to have been taking theology lessons from Silver Ravenwolf. Blah blah matriarchal society blah blah our ancestors got burned at Salem blah blah men are evil blah blah.

All the men on Summersisle are emasculated and have had their tongues cut out. All the women look like 1980s Greenham Common protestors and view men as little more than an occasionally useful penis that keeps walking around and getting in the way. By halfway through the movie, you want to shout at the screen, "Okay, we get it! You don't like feminists!"

At the beginning of the film Nicholas Cage's character gets asked by a fellow cop, "Are you going to apply for detective?" It's probably a good job he didn't, since while blundering around Summersisle he displays all the detective skills of a deaf, blind kid with learning disabilities. People keep telling him, "Tomorrow is a festival of DEATH....and rebirth." Somehow he utterly fails to realise that this translates as, "We're going to kill you."

The film also contains the line that caused the entire cinema to burst out laughing, where Cage pulls a gun on a woman with a bicycle and says, "Step away from the bike!" Praise be to Cthulhu, Edward Woodward was never such a dimwit. By the climax, you're pretty much begging for him to get torched.

Oh, and despite having a bee sting allergy, he runs into a beehive and then runs around some more screaming, "Aiiiieeee!!!! I have run into some beehives and one sting could kill me! I must run further into the complex of beehives! Aiiieee!" Fool.

One thing's for certain: by this time next year Nicholas Cage will be doing panto.

Eeeeeeww! I knew it would be crap! In fairness I will force myself to watch it, since we don't all have the same tastes and I might disagree with Zarathustra's take on it. But I think I'll wait until it's either shown on tv or appears in the bargain bin at my local video store.

I knew it would be rubbish, but I never expected just how misogynistic the film would be.

Guys: if you give wommyn the vote, then they'll eventually toss you into a giant burning wicker man.

And that's all the fun you'll get before they burn you. ;)

nick cage = horrible crap

I only ever liked him in one role and that was raising arizona. Beyond that, I think he is awful. Especially when he actually tries to "act".

I thought for sure that they would change the ending and have him escape somehow. This movie was pretty bad.

StoryofE said:
I thought for sure that they would change the ending and have him escape somehow. This movie was pretty bad.

I was kind of expecting him to burst out of the the Wicker Man firing an Uzi, but fortunately that didn't happen. Thank Cthulhu.

I wasn't going to bother with this at the pictures but was willing to waste an evening on a 'grey market import' of it. I'm not sure whether to bother now.

It actually sounds quite funny, i might give it a go.

the film is not that bad. doesnt compare to the original though. kept expecting kathy bates to produce a sledgehammer to break his legs. maybe it was her who did it in the end although bizarrely that was in a voiceover.

Its not bad, its dismal though it has loads of unintentionally funny scenes. However i did want to gouge my eyes out after watching it.

Back