• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I've been reading up on this latest development and a couple of different commentators--the more 'independent' types--have been speculating that Assange might have gone a bit doolally and his rather recklessly awkward behaviour within the embassy is one product of this.

Hard to know at this stage whether it's a smear or the wisp of a nascent defence.

More on the 'Assange was having a breakdown' angle here:

British police on April 11 dragged the WikiLeaks founder out of the Ecuadorian Embassy where he had been living since 2012. In an interview with CNN, Love said when he visited Assange a few weeks before, he appeared to be "deteriorating rapidly" and knew he would soon be arrested.

"He puts on a very brave face, but it was clear he was very worried," said Love, who lives with his parents in rural England. "This was weighing heavily on his mind and soul."
https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/05/01/uk/assange-health-friend-gbr-intl/index.html?r=https://editio

Again hard to know whether true or a strand for his future defence.

Sweden drops Julian Assange rape investigation
Prosecution authority says it will not proceed with investigation into WikiLeaks founder

The alleged rape investigation involving WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who is currently in prison in Britain, has been discontinued, a Swedish prosecutor has said.
“I want to inform about my decision to discontinue the preliminary investigation,” deputy chief prosecutor Eva-Marie Persson told a news conference.
Tuesday’s decision follows a ruling in June by a Swedish court that Assange – who denies the accusation – should not be detained.

More at https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/nov/19/sweden-drops-julian-assange-investigation

Sweden drops Julian Assange rape investigation
Prosecution authority says it will not proceed with investigation into WikiLeaks founder

The alleged rape investigation involving WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who is currently in prison in Britain, has been discontinued, a Swedish prosecutor has said.
“I want to inform about my decision to discontinue the preliminary investigation,” deputy chief prosecutor Eva-Marie Persson told a news conference.
Tuesday’s decision follows a ruling in June by a Swedish court that Assange – who denies the accusation – should not be detained.

More at https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/nov/19/sweden-drops-julian-assange-investigation

"Now that Julian Assange is in British custody and the U.S. extradition request has been received, the Swedish Government has decided that the investigation has served its purpose and is now unnecessary."

"Now that Julian Assange is in British custody and the U.S. extradition request has been received, the Swedish Government has decided that the investigation has served its purpose and is now unnecessary."
So, given that the basis for much of Assange's flight to the Ecuadorean Embassy was due to the rape allegations from the Swedes, is there still a case for him to answer? Perhaps it is time for Britain to let him go as well ? After all, he's only the greatest name in journalism since Woodward and Bernstein. Freedom of the Press still a thing in GB?

So, given that the basis for much of Assange's flight to the Ecuadorean Embassy was due to the rape allegations from the Swedes, is there still a case for him to answer? Perhaps it is time for Britain to let him go as well ? After all, he's only the greatest name in journalism since Woodward and Bernstein. Freedom of the Press still a thing in GB?
He went to prison for skipping bail so he’s there till he serves his time for that.

I think he'll still be in jail until February or March next year. I'm guessing he'll either be released or extradited to America after that.

Send him to America.

Perhaps, considering his role in the passing of information, the appropriate select committee could convened to hear what he has to say for himself.

Trump said he loves Wikileaks; so Julian need not worry for his future.

Send him to America. Perhaps, considering his role in the passing of information, the appropriate select committee could convened to hear what he has to say for himself. Trump said he loves Wikileaks; so Julian need not worry for his future.
It certainly poses an interesting situation vis Julian, but Trump himself isn't on the best legal footing atm, and his chances of re-election are decreasing.

It certainly poses an interesting situation vis Julian, but Trump himself isn't on the best legal footing atm, and his chances of re-election are decreasing.

So you've been watching the hearings as well.

Today is interesting. But my wife wishes to watch some idiot court drama, so I have been turfed out of the teleroom.

Have to catch up with it later tonight.

https://www.emptywheel.net/2019/12/...has-always-been-an-organized-crime-syndicate/

A guess at the case being made against Assange:

What I’m trying to do is lay out what the government seems to be preparing to argue about WikiLeaks in the Schulte case. No doubt this will get me invited for another stern scolding at dinner, but it’s time to stop pretending Assange is being prosecuted for the understanding of WikiLeaks that existed in 2010. By all means, people can and will still defend Assange for taking on an imperialist America. For much of the world (though presumably not among any Five Eyes governments, including Assange’s home country), that still makes him an important dissident taking on a superpower. There is some merit to that stance, but it also requires arguing that superpowers shouldn’t have democratic elections.

But the government is preparing to argue that, after helping Russia tamper in America’s election, WikiLeaks deliberately burned some of CIA’s collection abilities to the ground, making it harder for the US to figure out how Russia did so. The government is preparing to argue that such actions are consistent with what WikiLeaks has been up to since 2010.

I’ve been expecting we might see an indictment alleging WikiLeaks and its associates were and remain engaged in an ongoing conspiracy (a possibility that, if Manning and Hammond’s lawyers haven’t warned them about, they are being utterly negligent, because the government could well argue that obstructing this investigation by refusing to provide immunized testimony is an overt act furthering the conspiracy).

Here's a new twist - one that seems timely and relevant at face value. I'm not sure whose gambit (gamble?) this claim may represent.
Lawyer: Assange was offered US pardon if he cleared Russia

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange plans to claim during an extradition hearing that the Trump administration offered him a pardon if he agreed to say Russia was not involved in leaking Democratic National Committee emails during the 2016 U.S. election campaign, a lawyer for Assange said Wednesday.

Assange is being held at a British prison while fighting extradition to the United States on spying charges. His full court hearing is due to begin next week.

At a preliminary hearing held Wednesday in London, lawyer Edward Fitzgerald said that now-former Republican congressman, Dana Rohrabacher, visited Assange at the Ecuadorian Embassy in London in August 2017.

Fitzgerald said a statement from another Assange lawyer, Jennifer Robinson, recounted “Mr. Rohrabacher going to see Mr. Assange and saying, on instructions from the president, he was offering a pardon or some other way out, if Mr. Assange ... said Russia had nothing to do with the DNC leaks.” ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/3934adc00f38667b267345b8628e4f12

By making those claims he might be trying to make extradition to the US too politically risky for the current US government.

However this seems to be right on and easily crossing over the political rules of the forum.

By making those claims he might be trying to make extradition to the US too politically risky for the current US government.

However this seems to be right on and easily crossing over the political rules of the forum.
After seemingly working for getting Trump elected, he now seems to make himself interesting for the Democrats, and less interesting for the Trump administration to get him extradited.

... However this seems to be right on and easily crossing over the political rules of the forum.

Right ... Just keep the focus on Assange and Wikileaks, and avoid speculation on how his actions or allegations relate to others' (politicians') needs or wants.

I honestly don't know anymore where to put this
:)

Julian Assange secretly fathered two children inside Ecuadorian embassy, partner reveals in bid for his release from Belmarsh amid coronavirus fears

Well you can bet Ecuador have footage as well. I would assume every embassy is completely wired by the country it's an embassy of, for security reasons if nothing else.

It seems Ecuadorean authorities are moving to wash their hands of Assange. I'm not sure what (if any) immediate effect this might have on his legal status if the citizenship revocation is finally upheld.
Ecuador revokes citizenship of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange

An Ecuadorian court on Monday ruled in favor of revoking the citizenship of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, according to a judgment published by the Judicial Branch of Ecuador.

The court's decision nullified Assange's status as a naturalized citizen of Ecuador, which was granted to him in December 2017 by then-President Lenín Moreno.

Carlos Poveda, Assange's lawyer in Ecuador, told CNN that he would appeal the ruling. ...

He was eventually arrested in 2019 by London's Metropolitan Police in connection with bail-skipping charges and a separate extradition warrant from the United States Justice Department ...

His arrest came after the Ecuadorian embassy lost patience with the WikiLeaks founder and revoked his asylum status. At the time, then-Foreign Minister José Valencia and then-Interior Minister María Paula Romo accused Assange of riding scooters around the cramped embassy hallways, insulting staff and smearing feces on the walls. ...

The Ecuadorian government had also been annoyed by Assange's vocal support for the Catalonian independence movement, which the South American country worried could damage its relations with Spain. ...

Assange is currently in prison in the United Kingdom for violating his bail conditions when he entered Ecuador's London embassy to elude extradition to Sweden. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/amer...ulian-assange-citizenship-intl-hnk/index.html

Assange can be extradited, says UK home secretary​

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange’s extradition to the US has been approved by UK Home Secretary Priti Patel.
Mr Assange has 14 days to appeal the decision, the Home Office said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61839256

Assange can be extradited, says UK home secretary​

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange’s extradition to the US has been approved by UK Home Secretary Priti Patel.
Mr Assange has 14 days to appeal the decision, the Home Office said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61839256

It looks like he'll just have to put his faith in the integrity of the U.S. judicial system and the administration's sense of justice and fair play.

Back