Wild Boar

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
A friend in Haifa reports and posts photos from her windows of a number of wild pigs who come into the city regularly daily at dusk to raid garbage. Increased during the lockdown. And I thought racoons were a pain.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Perhaps the Italians (and others) cooing over the ickle-wickle piggy-wiggies, and squealing at the howwible nasty men who shoot them, might benefit from typing the search term “boar attack” into YouTube.

Here is a graphic, live result:

maximus otter

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Perhaps the Italians (and others) cooing over the ickle-wickle piggy-wiggies, and squealing at the howwible nasty men who shoot them, might benefit from typing the search term “boar attack” into YouTube.

Here is a graphic, live result:

maximus otter
Not having a firearms certificate, only a shotgun certificate, I wonder if a couple of 42g No 1’s would stop a beast of that size?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Not having a firearms certificate, only a shotgun certificate, I wonder if a couple of 42g No 1’s would stop a beast of that size?
I’m sure that you’d get better results than using a shovel, but l wouldn’t fancy your chances.

l have no idea of ever shooting boar, especially with a shotgun; but if l did, l’d want a semi-auto with an extended mag full of slug cartridges. And a mate behind me with a rifle, preferably chambered in a calibre beginning with “4”.

maximus otter

Last edited:

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
I’m sure that you’d get better results than using a shovel, but l wouldn’t fancy your chances.

l have no idea of ever shooting boar, especially with a shotgun; but if l did, l’d want a semi-auto with an extended mag full of slug cartridges. And a mate behind me with a rifle, preferably chambered in a calibre beginning with “4”.

maximus otter
In the periods and places where they did actually go out deliberately boar-hunting, it was known as a very dangerous undertaking, requiring heavy-duty equipment (spears, swords) and essential back-up. British medieval boar spears were unusually long and heavy, were intended to be propped against the ground or a rock or something other than the individual hunter, and had a crossbar firmly attached a few feet from the handle in the hope that this would stop or at least slow down the completely impaled boar who tusk and teeth first was running full-tilt at his attacker. Boar dogs were big and heavy and frequently injured. On the other hand, barnyard pigs and their adorable little piggie-wigglets although they have a reputation for crankiness and for eating anything that can't outrun them are unlikely to attack humans unless they feel threatened - and all they have going for them is weight. I've had several friends from farm country who had pet pigs as kids. In both cases mom sold them out from under the kid when the pig got so heavy he broke through the floor.