• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wild Boar

A rogue wild boar charged at a surfer on the water in Hawaii

While out in the waters near Kaena Point on Oahu’s northwest shore, longtime surfer Ingrid Seiple says she was charged at by a wild boar.

She was watching the lineup looking for good waves when she encountered a very large black boar with long tusks.

“I saw something floating, I thought it was a monk seal,” Ingrid Seiple [said]. “I thought, ‘Oh cute, a monk seal,’ and then it just looked more stiff. It didn’t look round like a monk seal, so, I don't know, I was ignoring it and thought maybe it was a log.”

“And then suddenly its face came out of the water,” she added. “I don’t know how it had its head underwater the whole time, it was crazy, and I could see the hair off its back, but I had thought it was part of the bark of a floating log. And then it was so close and it came up and I could see its teeth.”

The boar, she said, had an injury to its face. It swam toward Seiple, who couldn’t paddle away fast enough, so she pushed her surfboard between them. The boar bit the surfboard leaving teeth impressions on both sides.

rawImage.jpg

Uninjured, Seiple was then able to swim safely to shore, and she last saw the boar swimming out to sea.

Wild pigs are an invasive species to the Hawaiian Islands, and hunting them in Hawaii is legal with a hunting license on Oahu, Kauai, Molokai, Maui and Hawaii Island where their numbers are excessive.

https://www.sfgate.com/hawaii/article/Wild-boar-attacked-surfer-in-Hawaii-16736378.php

maximus otter

So they should introduce tigers to Hawaii?
Interesting idea.

I wasn't aware this was a problem up here until now.

The boar war: Surge of wild pigs in Scotland provoking alarm and call for action​

By Richard Baynes
January 30, 2022, 1:32 pm

An unstoppable surge in the number of wild boars has been predicted as Scottish farmers voice deepening concerns at their environmental and economic impact.
There are several large populations of the huge swine but experts say they are now present across Scotland and failure to curb numbers means they could grow dramatically.
One estimate suggests the numbers have risen tenfold in 15 years with between 3,000 and 5,000 boar currently wild in Scotland. Ministers are being urged to take action to prevent the numbers running out of control.
Steven MacKenzie, a stalker on the Aberchalder & Glengarry Estate in the Great Glen, shoots 40 wild boar per year and believes there could be 700 of the animals in the surrounding countryside. One male boar he shot was 30 stone, and almost 8ft from rump to snout.

MacKenzie has witnessed large boar killing sheep on the estate’s farmland. “We have had a number of incidences of not just lambs but full-grown sheep being knocked down by large boar,” he said.
https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/wild-board-in-scotland/

This is not about feral boar, but native wild ones here in Arizona. My husband and I live in a settled neighborhood at least a mile from any wilderness. We have two oak trees in the front yard, and every year the local javalina (peccary) come through and eat the acorns which have fallen. Usually they do this in November-December. This year, they made a mild pass through in December, but last week they came through and destroyed the gravel covering the front. Furrows and troughs more than 5 feet long, many pounds of gravel ejected onto the sidewalk and street.

Maybe I should check my yard for the rare desert truffle.

Driving back down the A3 yesterday afternoon, about halfway between the M25 junction and Guildford, I was in the outside lane and spotted a dead animal by the central reservation. I said to my wife that it looked like a young wild boar.
Very similar to, but a bit larger than this:

boar.png

Poor little fellow had made it half-way across the very busy road

According to the Woodland Trust, there are an estimated 2,600 wild boar in the UK, including a breeding population in the South East.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/tr...600 animals are,Wales and North West Scotland.

Driving back down the A3 yesterday afternoon, about halfway between the M25 junction and Guildford, I was in the outside lane and spotted a dead animal by the central reservation. I said to my wife that it looked like a young wild boar.
Very similar to, but a bit larger than this:

View attachment 54717

Poor little fellow had made it half-way across the very busy road

According to the Woodland Trust, there are an estimated 2,600 wild boar in the UK, including a breeding population in the South East.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/animals/mammals/wild-boar/#:~:text=An estimated 2,600 animals are,Wales and North West Scotland.
I live a bit further down the A3, past Guildford, and there are supposed to be wild boar in the woods around me... I've never seen one though, even though I hike a lot.

Super pigs set to invade U.S.

Popular Mechanics reports that a flock of feral "super pigs" bred from wild hogs and genetically-modified factory farm pigs have begun to spread across the Canadian wilderness, and their wake of havoc may soon spread into the United States.

Originally crossbred to help farmed pigs grow larger and tolerate the cold temperatures of Canada, a drop in the market about two decades ago led some farmers to let their hybrid pigs run free. Now they're running very free […] The super pigs have already traversed across the international border, dipping into at least North Dakota. So, expect an even greater occurrence as the hybrid population only grows. Like on public transit, if you see something, say something. The Squeal on Pigs website makes that even easier.
Field and Stream tried to raise the alarm back in January as well, in an interview with Dr. Ryan Brook, the head of the Canadian Wild Pig Research Project at the University of Saskatchewan. Brooks explained that Canada didn't the same problem with invasive feral hogs as the US does until around the 1980s. These particular super pigs were bred by humans for more robust survival in the Canadian cold — but that was before they hooked up with the other feral hogs, making this new breed particularly sturdy. And, by extension, dangerous, both to humans, and to wildlife in general:

https://boingboing.net/2023/02/27/m...super-pigs-reportedly-headed-towards-usa.html

Super pigs set to invade U.S.

Popular Mechanics reports that a flock of feral "super pigs" bred from wild hogs and genetically-modified factory farm pigs have begun to spread across the Canadian wilderness, and their wake of havoc may soon spread into the United States.

Field and Stream tried to raise the alarm back in January as well, in an interview with Dr. Ryan Brook, the head of the Canadian Wild Pig Research Project at the University of Saskatchewan. Brooks explained that Canada didn't the same problem with invasive feral hogs as the US does until around the 1980s. These particular super pigs were bred by humans for more robust survival in the Canadian cold — but that was before they hooked up with the other feral hogs, making this new breed particularly sturdy. And, by extension, dangerous, both to humans, and to wildlife in general:

https://boingboing.net/2023/02/27/m...super-pigs-reportedly-headed-towards-usa.html
They’re not messing around re feral pigs in Texas - helicopters & machine guns..

Normal for Norfolk.

A wild pig has attacked a pet dog which was being walked on an estate in Norfolk, leaving it seriously injured.

Mark and Vanessa Shadbolt were walking Luna, a cocker spaniel, on a leash at Westacre Estate near Swaffham on Monday, when the pig attacked.

"It really was horrific," said Mrs Shadbolt.
Estate owner Alec Birkbeck said the pig, part of a rewilding project, was apparently protecting her young and would be monitored.

The pigs at the estate are a hybrid between a wild boar and a domestic pig and were introduced as part of a rewilding project started several years ago, as the Eastern Daily Press first reported.

The Shadbolts were walking their two dogs through public areas and both were on leads, as is recommended by the estate management, when the sow attacked.

Wild pig at Norfolk estate
IMAGE SOURCE, DENNIS PEDERSEN Image caption, Wild pigs were introduced to the Norfolk estate several years ago

"I saw this huge dark thing rushing out of the long grass - at first I thought it was a rottweiler as it was very black," Mrs Shadbolt told the BBC.

"Then I realised it was a large pig and I shouted to my husband, but by then the sow had launched Luna into the air and was ripping her to pieces - she tried to fight back - but she couldn't."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-66200666

Normal for Norfolk.

A wild pig has attacked a pet dog which was being walked on an estate in Norfolk, leaving it seriously injured.

Mark and Vanessa Shadbolt were walking Luna, a cocker spaniel, on a leash at Westacre Estate near Swaffham on Monday, when the pig attacked.

"It really was horrific," said Mrs Shadbolt.
Estate owner Alec Birkbeck said the pig, part of a rewilding project, was apparently protecting her young and would be monitored.

The pigs at the estate are a hybrid between a wild boar and a domestic pig and were introduced as part of a rewilding project started several years ago, as the Eastern Daily Press first reported.

The Shadbolts were walking their two dogs through public areas and both were on leads, as is recommended by the estate management, when the sow attacked.

Wild pig at Norfolk estate
IMAGE SOURCE, DENNIS PEDERSEN Image caption, Wild pigs were introduced to the Norfolk estate several years ago

"I saw this huge dark thing rushing out of the long grass - at first I thought it was a rottweiler as it was very black," Mrs Shadbolt told the BBC.

"Then I realised it was a large pig and I shouted to my husband, but by then the sow had launched Luna into the air and was ripping her to pieces - she tried to fight back - but she couldn't."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-66200666
Shocking. This is what happens when you rewild with larger fauna and predators. To me, it's a no-no.

Shocking. This is what happens when you rewild with larger fauna and predators. To me, it's a no-no.
I have no issue if it is managed properly and also if dog owners behave themselves and follow the rules - not sure what went wrong here though

There are feral 'wild boars' in small groups living in some of our local woodlands (Dorset-Somerset borders), which are tolerated by the gamekeepers on a nearby pheasant shooting manor, and by other landowners. These woods are not hugely far from civilisation but only contain small hamlets and lanes in and around so can feel quite isolated!

I lived very close by for a few years and these lanes and byways, although just a few hundred metres from an A-road, can throw up all kinds of odd experiences. As I was a pedestrian I used to walk them very frequently in the morning to catch the local bus on the main road and I found all kinds of stuff dumped there by (presumably) criminals who kept the valuables and left the rest. No lights at all and very little traffic after dark.

Back