• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wild Boar

Nearly stumbled into one that was sleeping, could see it was a male as it ran ,luckily, away from me, must remember to make more noise when I'm going through tall undergrowth !.

Where did this happen? The only ones I've seen were in south of France a few years back. They are around in a few places in UK - Forest of Dean for one. Probably more plentiful in US & certainly in various European countries.

Where did this happen?
East Sussex/ Kent border, this particular one in Brede High Woods,wonderful place, will be watching Fallow Deer bucks rutting for the next few weeks there. Lot of boar round here, it's where some of the original ones "escaped" , they were not released because they were too much trouble at the slaughter house when the first lot went, and said slaughter house refused to have any more,definately not released, definately not, really really not...............no really they escaped .......cough,cough

East Sussex/ Kent border, this particular one in Brede High Woods,wonderful place, will be watching Fallow Deer bucks rutting for the next few weeks there. Lot of boar round here, it's where some of the original ones "escaped" , they were not released because they were too much trouble at the slaughter house when the first lot went, and said slaughter house refused to have any more,definately not released, definately not, really really not...............no really they escaped .......cough,cough

Interesting. Didn't know they were plentiful there. Have you got inside information re escapees v releasees?

I know some people dont like me, but i dont know if they consider me a wild bore ;)

Have you got inside information

Consider a purely hypothetical situation of a farmer raising a herd of semi-domesticated wild boar imported from Europe at considerable expense to be sold at "a Posh persons supermarket" in London. "Loverly jubberly, make a few bob there flogging them to Ha....". One awkward condition,they have to be humanely killed in a slaughter house, normal pigs no probs, these buggers go mad!. Slaughter house, "Don't ever bring those ba*****s back here". So we have a small herd (or Sounder to use the correct term), have to be fed,looked after, vets bills.....not cheap keeping farm animals, no chance of getting rid of them for profit.......if only those two five bar gates were not padlocked overnight like they always are.....so obviously totally hypothetical,did not happen at all.....

What's interesting is the myths that have grown up around this, it happened near to the time of The Great Storm, so that got blamed for bringing down fences, a certain member of a "popular beat combo" from Liverpool who lives nearby and has lots of land also got the blame for releasing them, or rather his then wife did, sent his kids to the local Secondary School, (good on you Paul).

I've managed to get very close to a massive wild male,big tusks, humpy back, bristles, the lot, 30 mts, you would'nt want to get closer, fantastic creatures I'm glad they are back. And when your digging over your garden or allotment and a robin comes down and starts feeding where you've turned the soil over, where do you think this race memory comes from?.

Oklahoma residents armed with machine guns to be allowed hunt pigs from helicopters
Texas and Louisiana already allow private contractors to hunt feral swine.

THE STATE OF Oklahoma in the US could soon join Louisiana and Texas in allowing hunters to shoot feral hogs from helicopters.

The Tulsa World reports that aerial gunners are already used to help control feral swine in Oklahoma. But that work can only be done by trained, licensed contractors with support from the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture Food and Forestry. ...

http://www.thejournal.ie/pigs-helicopter-search-and-destroy-3311952-Mar2017/

Oklahoma residents armed with machine guns to be allowed hunt pigs from helicopters

THE STATE OF Oklahoma in the US could soon join Louisiana and Texas in allowing hunters to shoot feral hogs from helicopters.

The Tulsa World reports that aerial gunners are already used to help control feral swine in Oklahoma. But that work can only be done by trained, licensed contractors with support from the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture Food and Forestry. ...

What can possibly go wrong with that?

It's hardly fair, is it?
Machine guns and helicopters. Disgusting.

There is a video (poss youtube or liveleak) of wild pigs being shot with heavy caliber machine gun. It certainly would'nt be the "English" way to do it, but........................

If you are hunting for meat for your dinner, then fair enough, there's a purpose to it. If you are hunting because you enjoy killing things, then I would say you were best not encouraged. These "hunters" just want to use heavy artillery on wild animals for violence's sake, it seems to me.

Damn. That makes my scheme to hunt feral hogs using bazookas & grenades look a bit gay.

Damn. That makes my scheme to hunt feral hogs using bazookas & grenades look a bit gay.
Gay? Were you going to insert the grenades rectally? Tricky.

I know I sound all anti-boar here, but the things are dangerous. I'm not pro-hunting or pro-gun, but wild boars are one of the few good reasons to own a firearm, IMO. A few people we know have lost their dogs to them, and my aunt had to shoot one when it charged her in her front yard.

If you are out for a walk in the country and see signs of rooting, it might be safer to move along elsewhere.

I'm with Ulalume on that! I'm no fan of hunting or guns, but Wild boars aren't something I would feel very good about meeting in the woods, unarmed! They are known to be pretty aggressive, and are absolutely able to kill a (hu)man. Plus, they run in packs, and are intelligent. No thanks!

If given a choice, I'd rather find myself face to face with a wolf pack than a herd of wild pigs, anyday! I'd bet the wolves would, 9 times out of 10, actually flee from you, once they realize you are a human. Mostly because they have been widely, and wrongly, persecuted for a long time, and are wary of humans. I wouldn't say the boars have the same aversion, yet.

Then again, maybe the clever devils are planning revenge for all their fallen brothers.:evil:

Edited=grammer

I know I sound all anti-boar here, but the things are dangerous. I'm not pro-hunting or pro-gun, but wild boars are one of the few good reasons to own a firearm, IMO. A few people we know have lost their dogs to them, and my aunt had to shoot one when it charged her in her front yard.

If you are out for a walk in the country and see signs of rooting, it might be safer to move along elsewhere.
^this^

They ain't cute and cuddly and farmers, I suspect, will be unsympathetic to crops rooted up and later in the year, flattened down.

There are boar in the woods near where some relatives live outside Folkestone in Kent and I agree with the above posts. People are advised to stay away when the boars are breeding. Dangerous animals.

Lots of feral hogs in this part of the USA. They make good eating and they also damage crops, so they are widely hunted.

I don't think anyone's disputing that wild boar can be dangerous or that they may need culling to keep numbers down, it's the use of helicopters & machine guns which seems a little wtf.
I agree with you here. I am not anti-hunting, (FTR, I target shoot, but I don't hunt) but using helicopters does seem a bit much. BTW, most US states prohibit the use of full-auto weapons in hunting, and their legal possession is restricted under federal law.

The BBC TV series Caught Red handed (Series 6, episode 20) has an item about wild boar. When some were stolen from a Welsh farm others escaped and began living in the wild, where they are flourishing. 'After a 300 year gap, wild boar are back in the Welsh countryside.' Nobody knows what the effects on the local environment will be.

obelix.jpg

obelix2.png

*hands Swifty boar-spear*
I think we should also get a conch shell so everyone stops picking on Piggy and Simon and we can take our turns speaking .. and we should build a fire so the grownups find us.

Back