• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wild Boar

TheQuixote

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The FT search engine didn't provide me with any links to threads relating to wild boars UK or elsewhere, so I'm hoping that this thread could become devoted to any sightings or news links etc..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/3375611.stm

07/01/04

Wild boar spotted in Supermarket

A wild boar is on the loose in a Gloucestershire town after being spotted wandering into a supermarket.

The animal, about the same size as a labrador dog, was spotted trotting along the road in Cinderford at about 0900 GMT on Wednesday.

Police are warning people not to approach the boar, which does not have tusks but could become distressed if cornered.

It is thought to have dashed along Station Road and Dockham Road before entering the Co-Op store, then running off when it encountered shop staff.

The boar was then seen scampering along Bellevue Road and St Whites Road and into some nearby woods.

A number of wild boar are believed to live in the Forest of Dean.

Anyone who sees the animal is asked to contact the Police.

On a side note, to quote Bill and Ted "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K" or in this case the Co-Op, as it seems to me that there's a high number of weird things that occur in it's premises

Are Wild Boar very crypto? I thought it was generally accepted that wild boar are thriving in certain parts of the country (currently Kent and E.Sussex)

british wild boar

On a completely irrelevant tangent Wild Boar is one of the finest tasting meats i've eaten. :)

Must agree with siriuss though, nothing very mysterious about them anymore...

I /am/suprprised to read of an urban one.

Foxes do both but I've associated boar (er boars? er boarsen?) with rural sites.

Kath

The Yithian said:
On a completely irrelevant tangent Wild Boar is one of the finest tasting meats i've eaten. :)

Always imagined they would be, especially if spit-roasted whole in traditional fashion! mmm :p

I /am/suprprised to read of an urban one.

Foxes do both but I've associated boar (er boars? er boarsen?) with rural sites.

The fox in our garden is a frequent visitor. I'd be most startled if I found a boar in the sun on the compost heap eating a yummy piece of cucumber.

Kath

Exactly - as usual, it comes down to context, again. A wild boar in the actual woods of the Forest Of Dean isn't Fortean (there's a colony of them there), but if you ask me a wild boar in the Co-op in Cinderford bloody well is Fortean :).

stu neville said:
Exactly - as usual, it comes down to context, again. A wild boar in the actual woods of the Forest Of Dean isn't Fortean (there's a colony of them there), but if you ask me a wild boar in the Co-op in Cinderford bloody well is Fortean :).

Fortean? Agreed.
Cryptozoological? Disputed.

:)

Fair point :) - Quixote, do you want the thread moved to General Forteana?

I was quite puzzled that our fox(s) enjoy the salad vegetables so much. That and orange peel...

good point on the definitions yith.

Kath

Aw heck! How would I go about changing the title of this thread to;

Wild Boars- out of context to their Natural Habitat

or how about

Wild Boars- Fortean in Context BUT not in Cryptozoological terms

;) :) :D

yes please Stu, I was having trouble posting the thread link on Re-Organisation anyway, thanks!

Yith - where can one obtain wild boar meat? Without having to go a-huntin' that is?

Couldn't give you specific companies i'm afraid but the two times i've had it they came from 1) My step-father's family in Belgium and 2) Some local butcher in (i think) Devizes in Wiltshire. Incidently, i had Kangeroo somewhere around there (I think a pub called The Cross Guns). My mate has got several pounds of reindeer in his freezer having recently returned from Finland. I'm not sure if he flagrantly broke internation customs regulations or whether the EU has superceeded all that...

Happy Hunting!

Odd coincidence:

Wild Boar Breaks Into Apartment, Hospitalizes Man

Tue Jan 6,10:11 AM ET

BERLIN (Reuters) - A wild boar searching for food broke into a Berlin apartment, hospitalizing a man by biting him in the leg before fleeing back into the woods, police said on Tuesday.

"The wild boar broke into the living room through a terrace door and hid under a table," a police spokesman said. "When the 54-year old resident tried to shoo the boar back out the door, it went wild," he said.

The injured man was treated in hospital for his leg wound and released on the same day. Police said the animal had not been captured.

Environmentalists say several thousand wild boars, which can reach sizes of 150 kg (330 lbs), inhabit the German capital and push further into the city when their food supplies are low.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=5&u=/nm/20040106/od_nm/odd_boar_dc

To be honest I have been treating the cryptozoology forum as a place for mysterious animals and odd animal behaviour (in a similar way to the way the Earth Mysteries one is used for archaology and geology as well as actual Earth Mysteries).

Emps

Emperor said:
To be honest I have been treating the cryptozoology forum as a place for mysterious animals and odd animal behaviour (in a similar way to the way the Earth Mysteries one is used for archaology and geology as well as actual Earth Mysteries).

[pedantry]

Ah, but 'Earth mysteries' is subtitled: 'Ancient civilisations & alternative archaeology' which legitimises your usage. 'Cryptoozlogy' only makes mention of 'unknown animals'...

[/pedantry]

LOL - ahhhhhhhhhh but then we run into the problem between strict defintion and actual usage ;)

Emps

siriuss said:
Always imagined they would be, especially if spit-roasted whole in traditional fashion! mmm :p

Had that in Belgium. A spit-roasted wild boar, that is.

There are boar in a forest up beside Buckie. I think they escaped from somewhere.

`Boar?? Where? Where?`

I reccomend the butchers in Devizes too...

The only meat nicer than boar is duck. (and thats saying a lot)

ever had wild boar salami? WONDERFUL.

anyway: i once had a very close encounter with two WB while i was on the hills near parma (120 km from milan, northern italy). like, they were three feet away from me. thank god they were too busy - one was chasing the other - to notice me. they were huge and scary and impressively strong (they were running uphill at an incredible speed). beautiful beasts.

I've never posted about vegetable lambs on the cryptozoo area because they don't seem zoo enough :(

same with barnacle geese....

Kath

They used to do wild boar chops in a pub near me. Never sample them but i have had roast wild boar which i have to agree is what food is meant to taste like.:blah:

Foxybox! don't suppose you have an insiders view on why my urban fox family is so keen on cucumber and orange peel - rather than tomato skin and lettuce?

Kath

Stonedoggy, they're probably just making do with a bad lot and really hoping you'll chuck a big mac and fries out the back for them.

oh dear.... that would mean that we had to have one in the house while in transit....

I was miffed they rejected the turkey bits in favour of the cucumber.... had to go out and collect them as we don't put that sort of stuff out usually. Rejected my xmas treat! pah!

Kath

Inverurie Jones said:
There are boar in a forest up beside Buckie. I think they escaped from somewhere.

:eek!!!!: I haven't heard of this! Do you know which forest?:eek!!!!:

Back