Wild Park (Brighton)

James_H

And I like to roam the land
A lot of strange stuff has happened in/near Wild Park, IIRC? The Brighton 'babes in the wood' murders, that guy who cut up his dog in the shower, etc...

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
James_H2 said:
A lot of strange stuff has happened in/near Wild Park, IIRC? The Brighton 'babes in the wood' murders, that guy who cut up his dog in the shower, etc...
You remember correctly - I've never set foot in the place!

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I used to live in Coldean, and had friends who lived in the estate opposite Wild Park. Once I got a taxi from there to somewhere else in Brighton, and the taxi driver started regaling me with various horror stories about the park. brr.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Note: Hyde Park is the name of the neighbourhood, the park nearby is Woodhouse Moor.

Funnily enough, I have happy memories of the place, but a good friend of mine lived in the area for several years and I was always told that it was an excellent area in which to be abducted and/or raped if you were female. I don't have anything more than remembered snatches of anecdotes from his female friends and housemates about being followed and/or chased at night, but the data below indicate that things aren't really looking much better lately:

Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 00.17.49.png
Source and article:
https://thetab.com/uk/leeds/2018/09...-just-how-dangerous-hyde-park-really-is-43552

This map isn't that useful as it excludes the data for the surrounding areas that allow comparisons. The figures beneath, however, tell us that there have been 784 reported violent and sexual crimes in this single neighbourhood over the past eleven months:

Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 00.38.15.png Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 00.37.58.png

Sixty-four violent and sexual crimes were recorded in the last recorded month alone.

Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 00.42.55.png
Sources:
https://www.police.uk/west-yorkshire/LDT_NW/crime/violent-crime/+oChGSU/

Lizard King

Devoted Cultist
Note: Hyde Park is the name of the neighbourhood, the park nearby is Woodhouse Moor.

Funnily enough, I have happy memories of the place, but a good friend of mine lived in the area for several years and I was always told that it was an excellent area in which to be abducted and/or raped if you were female. I don't have anything more than remembered snatches of anecdotes from his female friends and housemates about being followed and/or chased at night, but the data below indicate that things aren't really looking much better lately:

View attachment 19489
Source and article:
https://thetab.com/uk/leeds/2018/09...-just-how-dangerous-hyde-park-really-is-43552

This map isn't that useful as it excludes the data for the surrounding areas that allow comparisons. The figures beneath, however, tell us that there have been 784 reported violent and sexual crimes in this single neighbourhood over the past eleven months:

View attachment 19491 View attachment 19490

Sixty-four violent and sexual crimes were recorded in the last recorded month alone.

View attachment 19492
Sources:
https://www.police.uk/west-yorkshire/LDT_NW/crime/violent-crime/+oChGSU/
I find this astonishing!What i the arrest rate for these sexual violent crimes?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I find this astonishing!What i the arrest rate for these sexual violent crimes?
Sexual crimes and violent crimes, not “sexual violent” crimes.

Let’s also remember that, in today’s climate, “sexual crimes” are very broadly defined, even to include wolf whistling.

The initial source that Yithian quotes is The Tab, a nationwide student website, which suggests that this is an area extensively populated and used by students.

A disproportionately-high population of people of sexually-active age and inclination, plus cheap and freely-available intoxicants, when combined with a mindset that is encouraged to regard anything other than walking past someone on the other side of the street, eyes fixed forward while breathing unobtrusively through the nose, can have effects on reported crime numbers.

maximus otter

Lizard King

Devoted Cultist
Sexual crimes and violent crimes, not “sexual violent” crimes.

Let’s also remember that, in today’s climate, “sexual crimes” are very broadly defined, even to include wolf whistling.

The initial source that Yithian quotes is The Tab, a nationwide student website, which suggests that this is an area extensively populated and used by students.

A disproportionately-high population of people of sexually-active age and inclination, plus cheap and freely-available intoxicants, when combined with a mindset that is encouraged to regard anything other than walking past someone on the other side of the street, eyes fixed forward while breathing unobtrusively through the nose, can have effects on reported crime numbers.

maximus otter
Apologies it should have been sexual/violent crimes

Lizard King

Devoted Cultist
I'm not quite sure what you mean Maximus. I don't want to get into a big debate, but do you mean that sexual crimes that are being reported now would not have been considered offences in previous years?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I'm not quite sure what you mean Maximus. I don't want to get into a big debate, but do you mean that sexual crimes that are being reported now would not have been considered offences in previous years?
Flip that to read “Offences that are being reported now would not have been considered sexual crimes in previous years”, and my answer would be “Yes”.

maximus otter

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
Flip that to read “Offences that are being reported now would not have been considered sexual crimes in previous years”, and my answer would be “Yes”.

maximus otter
Don't be coy, Max. Which offences do you have in mind?

Also, am I misreading the apparent subtext to your posts, or are you indeed suggesting that you would prefer a return to the status quo ante?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Don't be coy, Max. Which offences do you have in mind?

Also, am I misreading the apparent subtext to your posts, or are you indeed suggesting that you would prefer a return to the status quo ante?
l linked in my post above to police dealing with wolf whistling. Another example that comes to mind is that of the woman recently interviewed by the police for referring on Twitter to a child born a boy, but who wanted to be a girl, as “a boy”.

Anther incident that l’ve seen in the media (and which l can’t be arsed to Google) involved police interviewing a man for looking at a female in a street in a way which “made her feel uncomfortable”.

All of this at a time when the police have been excoriated in the media for writing off 60% percent of real crime without even an attempt at an investigation.

If by status quo ante, you mean the police being an emergency service, and not the uniformed branch of the National Hand-Patting System, then it’s an emphatic “Yes!” from me.

maximus otter