• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wild, Weird & Wacky Inventions

An anti spammer software that sends an email back to spammers that overloads their PC and gives them an electric shock...

A barbecue that doesn't stink out the neighbours gardens.

Bus timetables that tell you when the bus will actually arrive.

OK, I'll settle for buses that run on time.

:(

Electronic bus time tables, combined with staellite tracking of the actual buses, should actually make it possible to have a little screen at bus stops that tell you how far off the next bus is and its ETA. This would be a good idea - I probably nicked it off Tomorrow's World, or something.

rynner said:
Electronic bus time tables, combined with staellite tracking of the actual buses, should actually make it possible to have a little screen at bus stops that tell you how far off the next bus is and its ETA. This would be a good idea - I probably nicked it off Tomorrow's World, or something.

It's already in operation in some parts of London, as it is on the tube.

But normally just displays the message 'Not in service' or 'Route so-and-so, not displayed on this service' which is always the route you are waiting for :rolleyes:

I kind of liked one of the ideas mooted for Minority Report, but not used in the final film. It was the 'Smart Toilet' which would analyse whatever you *ahem* deposit, and issue dietary advice based on its findings.
Mind you, if I had one of those it would either spend most of the time sobbing pathetically and trying to hurl itself from the bathroom window. Or say things like 'Quick, check your pulse! Are you SURE you're still alive??' :eek:

They're doing it inparts of doncaster too

When I was younger I had really original ideas. Now it's all I can do just keep up - sigh..... :(

the hoverbords from back to the future would be a tidy invention. (I know there is a personal havercraft thingy availible for a shead load of cash but it's just too big:( )

Oll_Lewis said:
the hoverbords from back to the future would be a tidy invention.
The flying cars were good too ;)

I already want a DeLorean, a flying one would be even better!

Adrian Veidt said:
... the 'Smart Toilet' which would analyse whatever you *ahem* deposit, and issue dietary advice based on its findings.
They have one installed at the "House of Tomorrow" in the
Innoventions pavilion at EPCOT. It is made in Japan, and
comes with built in heater, bidet with 13 (IIRC) levels of spray
and an automatic lid. The "analysis" part can be tracked over time and sent to your PC (or your doctor's PC), but that was
NOT part of the demonstration! ;)

Oh, and there is a website for online purchase...

TVgeek

Instant Karma

I'd like to reach out and touch some one with a device that instantly distributes karma to the designers of things that don't work properly, i.e. hardware, software, packaging, or what have you.

For example, digital televisions, personal stereos, etc., that replace good-old-fashioned "snow" with a blue screen or icy puddles of horrible music from some unidentified radio station.

Scan a barcode on the offending product and have the satisfaction that somewhere, everybody responsible for its intentional design defects is zapped with instant justice. Mere shoddiness would not be punished--just designer malice--otherwise, as Shakespeare says "if fools were whipped, who would escape whipping?"

Bye-bye, software companies! Don't let the Gates of Hades stab you in the back on your way home to the Father of all Beta Disguised as Upgrades!

Cars should have wheels that turn sideways like casters, this would make parallel parking a doddle. Headlights should be light sensitive, and windscreen wipers moisture sensitive.
And cars should be easier to climb out of when drunk, to avoid showing everyone your knickers.

TVgeek said:
The "analysis" part can be tracked over time and sent to your PC (or your doctor's PC)

Doctors have PCs in this country? Why, then, did it take 3 weeks to transfer my records when I moved from Edinburgh to Cardiff?

Sorry, this probably belongs in the whinge thread. I'm having a bad week, OK?

beakboo said:
Cars should have wheels that turn sideways like casters, this would make parallel parking a doddle. Headlights should be light sensitive, and windscreen wipers moisture sensitive.
And cars should be easier to climb out of when drunk, to avoid showing everyone your knickers.

All of those things have actually been developed for cars - except perhaps the last underwear-related one... ;)

Sally said:
Doctors have PCs in this country? Why, then, did it take 3 weeks to transfer my records when I moved from Edinburgh to Cardiff?

Sorry, this probably belongs in the whinge thread. I'm having a bad week, OK?

Poor Sally...
Just let your doctor know what "amazing" things can be done with a PC... like the above! If they are like the G.P.'s here, they'll rush right out and get one! (You've never heard anything until you've heard nurses discussing "quantity/quality" of waste... it seems to be a favorite topic with them. Gross.)
TVgeek

give me a startrek style transporter system.

No Traffic, no pollution, no airline delays & off to work without getting rained on..........

beakboo said:

Well Ms Boo, if you'd gone to Lucy Clayton Ladies College, you'd know that the only useful thing they teach you is how to get out of a sports car without showing your knickers :D

Adrian Veidt said:
Well Ms Boo, if you'd gone to Lucy Clayton Ladies College, you'd know that the only useful thing they teach you is how to get out of a sports car without showing your knickers :D

Yeah, they tell you to wear trousers. :p

How about a cough mixture that actually works? I'm still coughing off and on after 2 weeks. :(

Let's have a cure for the common cold while we're at it too and something to stop head lice.

(I don't have the latter two conditions, but it's only a matter of time.)

Spooky angel said:
Let's have a cure for the common cold while we're at it too and something to stop head lice.

I always knew you were a dead classy bird spooky! :D

Head lice is one of the probs of working with kids. I haven't had them for years now, luckily. The short hair helps, but when it was long I was picking them up constantly. :cross eye

I could tell some really revolting head lice stories, but I won't.... yet. *wicked grin*

Ok, how about a plant that doesn't need watering? I keep killing mine off. :eek:

Spooky angel said:
How about a cough mixture that actually works? I'm still coughing off and on after 2 weeks. :(
Pulmo Baileys. Stinks but it works.

Back