• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

William Reich & Orgonite

Robbrent

Abominable Snowman
I remember not so long back a short article in FT about orgonite and its effects on growing plants, has anyone else replicated the results?

I read that article with great interest and started sourcing the ingredients, intent on trying it on my allotment. Crystals and shavings were no problem but fibreglass compound only comes in large amounts for more money than the hoped-for yield was worth. Despite there being so many plotholders into gardening by the phases of the Moon, companion planting etc., I couldn't find anyone enthusiastic about shelling out some cash for some resin compound!
The growing season is nearly over, but I hope to find some affordable fibreglass before next spring. If it works I shall start a thread.

^Lol, a year or so ago I went and bought most of the ingredients so I could experiment with making orgone - that was as far as I got. Maybe I should pick up where I left off...

Ms Qkxyz - if you've got all the ingredients it would be well worth a try.
Orgonite fans claim it has all sorts of health benefits, although I suspect it might have adverse effects on electrical equipment or computers.

^I just need to bring it all to my current location and buy more crystals as Ive taken a liking to the ones I bought :lol:
Thats easy enough though - I shall have a go once we get a string of sunny days which should be anytime soon as spring is here. (I hear the setting time is longer on cooler days.)
I shall update when it happens :D

The article was interesting because there was, as is usual with these types of claims no mention of a double blind trial, you know having a control sample grown and growing plants where the experimenter doesn't know if there is any orgonite there or not ......stuff like that.

MsQkxyz said:
^I just need to bring it all to my current location and buy more crystals as Ive taken a liking to the ones I bought :lol:
Thats easy enough though - I shall have a go once we get a string of sunny days which should be anytime soon as spring is here. (I hear the setting time is longer on cooler days.)
I shall update when it happens :D

If you are going to try it then do it properly with some having organite and some not and you not knowing which is which, if you still get good results then I am prepared to be impressed.
Even more interesting would be to get some organite which hasn't been 'blessed' by the magic machine, and some which has and see if you find any difference because I susspect that what you may have in unblessed as well as blessed organite is what we doctors call a fertiliser.

Another article in the latest issue, have shelled out for some, I am very curious about this product (you can buy it quite cheap) will let you know how I get on

And I thought rockwool was ideal to start seeds in because it's a neutral medium! I'd be very interested in hearing more about orgones if my veg growing could be improved by it.

Will let the board know how it all goes would be interested to hear from others on this

I forgot about this.
I haven't got around to making my own yet which is just laziness as I have everything I need to do so...
I did buy some orgonite though from 3 different sources:
An orgonite bead from eBay - not very exciting, thumbs down.
Micro organite - which I'm not sure about, but certainly I'm not raving about it either... I did however use some around the garden near plants that appeared to be struggling and some of the plants did seem to recover, but I really can't be sure it was the organite. Not all plants did though, and I completely forgot to check after a while anyway.
The 3rd package of tower busters and a wand didn't make it through customs.

I've got an orgone accumulator
It makes me feel greater
I'll see you sometime later
When I'm through with my accumulator
It's no social integrator
It's a one man isolator
It's a back brain stimulator
It's a cerebral vibrator
Those energy stimulators
Just turn your eyeballs into craters
But an orgone accumulator
Is a superman creator
It's no social integrator
It's a one man isolator
It's a back brain stimulator
It's a cerebral vibrator
I've got an orgone accumulator
And it makes me feel grater
I'll see you sometime later
When I'm through with my accumulator.

I think we're all pretty clear on its effects now.

I recently borrowed the complete edition of William Burroughs' Junky from the library. It includes a chapter excised from the original edition in which Burroughs discusses using orgone therapy to help him recover during the aftermath of heroin withdrawal.

After explaining that orgones are the "charged particles upon which life depends", he describes how they can be captured in accumulators:

"Reich devised a method for concentrating orgones based on the experimental finding that orgones are absorbed and retained by organic matter but pass freely through metal. He built a box with organic material on the outside and a lining of sheet iron inside. The orgones are caught and absorbed by the outer layer of organic matter and pass freely through the iron to the inside of the box."

"The passage of orgones from the inside of the box out is retarded by a layer of organic matter behind the sheet metal lining. So orgones are coming into the box faster than they can get out, and the result is a concentration of orgones inside the box."

Burroughs then relates how he built his own orgone accumulator (demurring at renting one from Wilhelm Reich's Orgone Institute).

"I bought sheet metal, wood, and a roll of rock wool, and built an accumulator about the size and shape of a small outhouse. I located it outside so it would get all the orgones available.... When I went into the accumulator and sat down I noticed a special silence that you sometimes feel in deep woods, sometimes on a city street, a hum that is more a rhythmic vibration than a sound."

"My skin prickled and I experienced an aphrodisiac effect similar to good strong weed. No doubt about it, orgones are as definite a force as electricity. After using the accumulator for several days my energy came back to normal. I began to eat and could not sleep more than eight hours. I was out of the post cure drag."

Last edited:
The BBC have put up an interesting overview of William Reich and his place in the contemporary culture.

The man who thought orgasms could save the world
By Neil Armstrong
27th April 2021

Psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich fell out with Freud, led the 'sexual revolution' and became a hippie icon. As a new book about him comes out, Neil Armstrong explores his life and legacy.

The orgasm, it is generally accepted, is A Good Thing. An intensely pleasurable experience that can promote bonding between partners. But might it be even more than that? Do orgasms prevent illness? In fact, are orgasms linked not just to the well-being of the human body but to the health

These were the radical ideas of a maverick psychoanalyst who had a profound influence on popular culture. According to his biographer Christopher Turner, author of Adventures in the Orgasmatron: "In the 1970s, everyone at a Hampstead cocktail party would have heard of him, but he is mostly forgotten now."

Continued with photographs:
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20210426-the-man-who-thought-orgasms-could-save-the-world

The BBC have put up an interesting overview of William Reich and his place in the contemporary culture.

The man who thought orgasms could save the world
By Neil Armstrong
27th April 2021

Psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich fell out with Freud, led the 'sexual revolution' and became a hippie icon. As a new book about him comes out, Neil Armstrong explores his life and legacy.

The orgasm, it is generally accepted, is A Good Thing. An intensely pleasurable experience that can promote bonding between partners. But might it be even more than that? Do orgasms prevent illness? In fact, are orgasms linked not just to the well-being of the human body but to the health

These were the radical ideas of a maverick psychoanalyst who had a profound influence on popular culture. According to his biographer Christopher Turner, author of Adventures in the Orgasmatron: "In the 1970s, everyone at a Hampstead cocktail party would have heard of him, but he is mostly forgotten now."

Continued with photographs:
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20210426-the-man-who-thought-orgasms-could-save-the-world
I like a bit of Reich: I read The Mass Psychology of Fascism at university as part of my German history course, though I'm not sure how much it helped. Yithian, thanks for the link to the BBC article and a lovely picture of Kate Bush.

Of course, there's another even more overt musical link to Reich and Orgone:

(I'm amused by the fact that the article is by Neil Armstrong; apart from the fact he's, er, dead, I thought he'd be more into 'hard' science...!)

Death can really change a man.

"A professor at the University of Oregon who bought an [orgone] accumulator told an FDA inspector that he knew the device was phoney, but found it helpful because his wife sat quietly in it for four hours every day."

:rollingw:

"A professor at the University of Oregon who bought an [orgone] accumulator told an FDA inspector that he knew the device was phoney, but found it helpful because his wife sat quietly in it for four hours every day."

I dare to suppose that she was having a way better time in there than he ever imagined...

I really want one of these in the garden:

Tomb3-128.1672771064.jpg

After all, who doesn't want a Wilhelm Reich Cloudbuster?!

It's sited on a trail at Reich's former home.

https://www.mainetrailfinder.com/trails/trail/wilhelm-reich-museum-trails

Back