• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

William Schaffner's Disappearance (North Sea; September 1970)

A

Anonymous

'Mick' Pope. Hahahaha. Perhaps the same aliens Mr Pope was investigating at Whitehall changed his name. Or it could be a government disinformation campaign to discredit him.

Hahaha
Sorry.

A BBC Inside Out investigation has discovered the truth behind the disappearance of an American fighter pilot over the North Sea more than three decades ago.
Captain William Schaffner, a 28-year-old American flying with the RAF, died on September 9, 1970 on a night flight from RAF Binbrook in Lincolnshire.

I'm sure its going somewhere....... probably like the sydney harbour UFO crash thread?

The moniker "News Stories"

...does tend to suggest it's to do with News.

Please post a link (or at least provide us with a direct attributed quote) when you start a thread or we'll have to start deleting them.

Stu

Goes a bit red, then recovers quickly

ahem....Yes! Yes! That's it...well done. Now, why didn't the rest of you spot that?

Tsk tsk...

On topic - I wasn't exactly impressed with the official explanation - to paraphrase - he was on a training flight, intercepting another plane, flew to low and crashed. Why didn't they say that earlier?

Another UFO Story Debunked?

I read in this latest addition of FT, that the schaffner case has now been layed to rest. I think 2005 is going to be a hard year for UFOLOGISTS. Unless they can come up with some convincing altenertive reasons.

FT194 MARCH 2005

Sorry I ment the latest Fortean Times Magazine. There's an article on page 32. Britain's x-files: 01 The Schaffner Case

The biggest 'missing piece of the puzzle' was the fact this was not a 'live' intruder intercept, but part of a larger operational exercise. The 'UFO' Schaffner was tasked to intercept was an Avro Shackleton flying as an intercept target. Another Lightning had made 4 passes at the target and had broken off to return to base before Schaffner arrived in the area.

Schaffner's Lightning began its approach, radio contact was lost, and the Shackleton crew figured it had returned to base until they were notified to search for it. It was the Shackleton crew that dropped flares, spotted the Lightning in the water with its canopy open, and saw it sink. Other parties arrived on the scene of the crash / sinking and failed to locate any trace of Schaffner.

This much was revealed in a letter to Flypast magazine (September 2014 issue) from a retired RAF officer who'd been on the Shackleton, as cited in the Wikipedia entry on the incident:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Schaffner

Back