• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
The Bridgewater Triangle

Introducing the Bridgewater Triangle, a sinister area in southeastern Massachusetts that’s famous for UFO sightings, poltergeists, and a variety of other unusual mysteries.

The 200-square-mile area was given its name by renowned cryptozoologist Loren Coleman in the 1970s. The region became better known in 1983, when Coleman published Mysterious America, a travel book that covered many of the strange and paranormal experiences America has to offer — including the mysteries of the Bridgewater Triangle.

bridgewater-triangle.png

Full Article:
https://allthatsinteresting.com/bri...Gsrmu1NOjCimYWZ6b8lvTn3SkspnIRPqzwvvKPV3WvJNw

I am a bit sceptical of the idea of Window Areas. I remember reading an article years ago (in Fortean Studies I think) about a window area in the north of England (around Pendle Hill I think, but I could be wrong) and saying that such an area was far more evocative than a place like Woking, for example, and would attract more Fortean phenomena, or something like that. I felt that geographical snobbery was at play, especially since Woking isn't a million miles from me. The area for the proposed window area was vast. When I overlaid it on a map of the south of England, centred on Woking, it included an area that would include a huge amount of Fortean classics including, but not limited to, Springheeled Jack, the Surrey Puma, a town that claims to be the most haunted in England, the Brentford Griffin, a village claiming to be the most haunted in Hampshire, a number of high strangeness cases including the Winterfold apparition, lots of haunted heritage buildings (such as Windsor Castle and Hampton Court Palace, just to name two that spring immediately to mind), and plenty more besides. I think our world is the window, and strangeness follows humanity wherever we go. If we ever have a Moon colony, you can bet ghosts and UFOs will follow.

Last edited:
I am a bit sceptical of the idea of Window Areas. I remember reading an article years ago (in Fortean Studies I think) about a window area in the north of England (around Pendle Hill I think, but I could be wrong) and saying that such an area was far more evocative than a place like Woking, for example, and would attract more Fortean phenomena, or something like that. I felt that geographical snobbery was at play, especially since Woking isn't a million miles from me. The area for the proposed window area was vast. When I overlaid it on a map of the south of England, centred on Woking, it included an area that would include a huge amount of Fortean classics including, but not limited to, Springheeled Jack, the Surrey Puma, a town that claims to be the most haunted in England, the Brentford Griffin, a village claiming to be the most haunted in Hampshire, a number of high strangeness cases including the Winterfold apparition, lots of haunted heritage buildings (such as Windsor Castle and Hampton Court Palace, just to name two that spring immediately to mind), and plenty more besides. I think our world is the window, and strangeness follows humanity wherever we go. If we ever have a Moon colony, you can bet ghosts and UFOs will follow.
Yes, i think you are right, ghost would follow us to the moon. I've often wonderd what fortean phenomena have been experienced in and around Antartic bases (not counting shape shifting aliens that possess huskies).

Is there a difference between what is called a "window area" and what is commonly referred to as a "paranormal vortex" area?
Originally, there were only the "equidistant" vile vortices (which fell apart) but now paranormal "hot spots" seem to be noted in many places.

Ooh, this fascinates me, thank you for the links!

I was in the archives a few days ago, this reminded me of a thread where the OP was puzzled by a location (in the UK) that didn't have any folklore, reports of activity or any kind of local oral history to speak of. Unfortunately she didn't tell us where it was.

Isn't this largely cultural? I am thinking of old Pagan sites, stone circles, 'ley lines,' etc. I would hazard a guess that there is also something outside of mere perception at work, however much our perception distorts, rationalises or interprets it. I have always held the belief that what we call paranormal is partly generated by us, although I haven't the time to go into that here. Just ideas to throw around.
I have often felt that here in the North of England, there is a sort of cultural belief in the uniqueness of the 'haunted north'; perhaps this is handed down, inherited? I don't know. As an artist I notice many painters of the landscape tend to congregate in Yorkshire and/or Cornwall ( I was specifically drawn to the South Lakes)... people have a tendency to identify with place, for good or ill.

I hadn't heard of a 'window area' so please forgive me if I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick! Off to look into this a bit more..

I'm going to insert some critical thinking commentary here. :chain:

The video by Paranormal Scholar about the Bridgewater Triangle is chock full of unsupported speculation.

However, it is interesting that the narration does point out the following: 1. Coleman "piggy-backed" the description of the area off the popularity of the Bermuda Triangle 2. When people went looking for anomalies just in that area, they found them (SURPRISE!) "Anything you want to be in the triangle, is in the triangle", 3. People feel uncomfortable in the forests and swamps. (SURPRISE!) 4. Why not increase the boundaries to include more weird areas, like the Lizzie Borden house? Sure, why not. There are no rules.

When a site has EVERYTHING paranormal, from the devil to UFOs and everything in between, it ends up as a hot mess of exaggerated, scary folklore. And of course, connect it to Native belief and a "curse" to give it more "color". According to local folklore professor Stephen Gencarella, there are many examples in New England where the names of places, in this case "Hockomock" and "Hoccamocca", were erroneously translated by white people. The source of the stories were found in colonial interpretations, it was not legitimate native lore. (See Moodus, the Place of Bad Noises)

While it sounds convincing to pile up lots of stories (without critically examining them, like Berlitz did to hype of the Bermuda Triangle), the alternative view may be that people will report experiences in a cultural context. So anything deemed "weird" is glommed onto the legend if they are familiar with it. There is nothing verifiably measured as different, such as "energy", in this area. That is, the stories are not supported by better evidence, but the legend is so interesting that it's propagated. Same with most other paranormal vortex areas.

I do think the underlying geology (and running water as in rivers and streams) has something to do with it, if like me you class much Fortean Phenomena as one and the same, something is interacting with us but only certain people in certain places can actually witness it

I know of avid hikers who have walked all of Dartmore and have never seen an Alien Big Cat for instance, yet plenty of people have

I think our world is the window, and strangeness follows humanity wherever we go. If we ever have a Moon colony, you can bet ghosts and UFOs will follow.
Following on from my earlier post, I thpought "What's the closest to a Moon colony on Earth?" and thought "Antarctica!", so I did a bit of Googling and found a page about ghosts at Antarctic bases:

https://polar-latitudes.com/history/ghost-stories-of-antarctica/

Very interesting, where there are people, there is weirdness. I expect if the International Space Station goes on for long enough, it will pick up its share of forteana too.

I do think the underlying geology (and running water as in rivers and streams) has something to do with it, if like me you class much Fortean Phenomena as one and the same, something is interacting with us but only certain people in certain places can actually witness it
If so, I think geologists (like me) would have have noticed this by now. It can't be measured, so it doesn't exist.

If so, I think geologists (like me) would have have noticed this by now. It can't be measured, so it doesn't exist.

Touché! that there is a connection between running water and some phenomena is quite well known, as for underlying geology here in the UK some areas with underlying certain types of sandstone are known to be quite lively in the fortean sense

Touché! that there is a connection between running water and some phenomena is quite well known, as for underlying geology here in the UK some areas with underlying certain types of sandstone are known to be quite lively in the fortean sense
Stone tape/water tape stuff is commonly believed by pro-paranormalists. But there is zero basis for any of this. It sounds very "sciencey" but no one ever asks a geologist to even verify the bedrock in the area. The para-opinions are often ludicrously wrong.
Once again: Spooky Geology -- https://spookygeology.com/haunted-rocks-the-stone-tape-theory/

Stone tape/water tape stuff is commonly believed by pro-paranormalists. But there is zero basis for any of this. It sounds very "sciencey" but no one ever asks a geologist to even verify the bedrock in the area. The para-opinions are often ludicrously wrong.
Once again: Spooky Geology -- https://spookygeology.com/haunted-rocks-the-stone-tape-theory/
Interesting article, I suppose a Fortean reply would be that it takes a rather literal approach to STT, whereas it might be argued that a whole host of factors are at play, such as ley lines etc.

Personally, I no longer subscribe to the "it must be the quartz" proponents, although it had me convinced as a teenager back in the 80s, but I do believe that a traumatic event that ends in a death does leave some sort of memory or residual existence, hence the soaking wet phantom taxi passengers of Fukushima and the briefcase-carrying, suited ghost at Heathrow airport following the crash there in 1948. I don't pretend to know how this mechanism works.

Whose talking about stone tape theory? Certainly not me, all I am saying is that certain factors including the geology of an area MAY have some bearing, and it might be something worth investigating, the running water thing is really quite common throughout Fortean phenomena, indeed it was the great Mr T C Lethbridge that documented it many years ago

Whose talking about stone tape theory? Certainly not me, all I am saying is that certain factors including the geology of an area MAY have some bearing, and it might be something worth investigating, the running water thing is really quite common throughout Fortean phenomena, indeed it was the great Mr T C Lethbridge that documented it many years ago
As I noted in the article I linked, I mentioned Lethbridge. When you are discussing "geology" of the area and whatever magical association is related to "running water", it all rolls back to psychometry and the idea that nature "records" emotion or events. No one ever seems to ask an actual geologist, because it's acceptable to wildly speculate instead.

The idea of geology or flowing water being somehow a factor in paranormal events is entirely unsupported by any evidence. What is supported by evidence is that people readily associate environmental or physical factors of places to cultural features like folklore or historic events.

So many accidents occur here, it's called the 'Bermuda Triangle' of Yosemite

Camping on the side of a rock face hundreds of feet in the air in Yosemite National Park’s Tenaya Canyon, legendary climber Ron Kauk felt a mysterious force pulling on his sleeping bag.

“It’s hard to explain,” he [said]. “It was like something that came around in a teasing kind of way or something. It wasn’t anything too dramatic, no lights flashing around or flying by you, just to acknowledge that there was something else there.” But what? "When we were up there, something was around us,” he added. “Crazy things happen there you can’t explain.”

1200x0.jpg

Some people believe Tenaya Canyon in California’s Yosemite National Park may be cursed. Eric Brooks/Special to SFGATE

Slips, trips, falls, unusual experiences, rockslides, helicopter rescues and deaths are common occurrences in this so-called “Bermuda Triangle of Yosemite,” a challenging and trail-free part of the park running from Tenaya Lake down to Yosemite Valley. For those brave enough to traverse the 10-mile Tenaya Canyon, smooth granite slabs, risky rappelling, mandatory swims and precarious ledges await.

There’s also an ominous park sign that greets visitors at the entrance of the treacherous canyon: “TRAVEL BEYOND THIS POINT IS DANGEROUS.”

...Tenaya’s words that day: “You may kill me, sir, Captain, but you shall not live in peace. I will follow in your foot-steps, I will not leave my home, but be with the spirits among the rocks, the water-falls, in the rivers and in the winds; wheresoever you go I will be with you. You will not see me, but you will fear the spirit of the old chief, and grow cold. The great spirits have spoken! I am done.”

Thus, the legend of a “Yosemite curse” was born.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-p...nyon-in-yosemites-cursed-history-18121807.php

maximus otter

Shale, limestone, clay, coal, and basalt are notable exceptions that contain little quartz. So, it's not a good bet to say that.
Sharon- you saved me from having to respond to this sweeping statement. Here in Bath we generally have to import our quartz shiny bits from the Mendips or beyond.

Camping on the side of a rock face hundreds of feet in the air in Yosemite National Park’s Tenaya Canyon, legendary climber Ron Kauk felt a mysterious force pulling on his sleeping bag.

“It’s hard to explain,” he [said]. “It was like something that came around in a teasing kind of way or something. It wasn’t anything too dramatic, no lights flashing around or flying by you, just to acknowledge that there was something else there.” But what? "When we were up there, something was around us,” he added. “Crazy things happen there you can’t explain.”

1200x0.jpg

Some people believe Tenaya Canyon in California’s Yosemite National Park may be cursed. Eric Brooks/Special to SFGATE

Slips, trips, falls, unusual experiences, rockslides, helicopter rescues and deaths are common occurrences in this so-called “Bermuda Triangle of Yosemite,” a challenging and trail-free part of the park running from Tenaya Lake down to Yosemite Valley. For those brave enough to traverse the 10-mile Tenaya Canyon, smooth granite slabs, risky rappelling, mandatory swims and precarious ledges await.

There’s also an ominous park sign that greets visitors at the entrance of the treacherous canyon: “TRAVEL BEYOND THIS POINT IS DANGEROUS.”

...Tenaya’s words that day: “You may kill me, sir, Captain, but you shall not live in peace. I will follow in your foot-steps, I will not leave my home, but be with the spirits among the rocks, the water-falls, in the rivers and in the winds; wheresoever you go I will be with you. You will not see me, but you will fear the spirit of the old chief, and grow cold. The great spirits have spoken! I am done.”

https://www.sfgate.com/california-p...nyon-in-yosemites-cursed-history-18121807.php

maximus otter
I didn't think too highly of this article. I wrote a response.

Yosemite curse and spirit of place​

Why awe-inspiring places easily accrue fantastic legends​

https://sharonahill.substack.com/p/yosemite-curse-and-spirit-of-place

Sharon- you saved me from having to respond to this sweeping statement. Here in Bath we generally have to import our quartz shiny bits from the Mendips or beyond.
Me and an ex drove to the small coastal town of Borth in Wales when I was about 18/19. The quartz in the cliff side was off the scale.

1200x0.jpg

maximus otter
There is some mysterious force involved, I don't doubt that for one second but, in a bit of an Occam's razor moment of realisation, I feel that the oh-so-mysterious force that Newton postulated back in the 17th century may just have poked its nose in...

... So, you're 'camping on the side of a rock hundreds of feet in the air', well, colour me surprised but I feel that gravity may (just may) have a teeny-tiny say in things...

Throw in winds, slabs, ledges and, well, what could possibly go wrong?!

Back