• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Witchcraft Shop Refuses To Sell To 'Muggles'

kamalktk

Antediluvian
No muggles allowed, the proprietor can tell if you're a muggle by your aura. The muggles aren't happy about it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ses-to-serve-harry-potter-fans-because-it-se/

----------------------------------------------------------
A shop which makes magic wands for real life witches and wizards has been blasted by Harry Potter fans for refusing to serve them.

The business, called Mystical Moments, is making a name for itself in the wizarding world by supplying wands to cast healing spells and charms for good luck.

But wand-maker Richard Carter says he is selling "spiritual tools" - not toys for young Muggles - and he is barring Hogwarts fans.

The wands can be used to draw protective circles to ward off dark forces while owners meditate, bring them money, and help them find love.

They can also be used to cure aches and pains and stress, speed a sick relative's recovery or wish for happiness, courage or physical strength.

Local mystic Mr Carter, 57, spends whole days standing at his lathe in a trance lovingly crafting each wand and anointing them with oil.

He says he does not know one end of a lathe from another and works while controlled by the spirits in his shop in Slaithwaite village, near Huddersfield.

He says all you need is faith in the product for it to work wonders - literally.

The wands are displayed in a secure cabinet. Magical folk need to visit the shop in person and are encouraged to choose the first wand which catches their eye and then pick it up to see if it feels right.

After making their purchase, the new owners perform a ritual involving burning incense and clasping both hands over the wand to "cleanse" it of the wand maker's energy.

This unlocks the power of the wand to the new owner who feels the energy flowing from the enchanted wood into their hands. Picking the wand up with the hand they write with, they can then use it to cast spells.

In the few months the shop has been open, sandwiched between a church charity shop and shabby chic store on the village's high street, it has attracted sorcerers from all over the country.

But Richard says he only wants to attract true believers in magic and can detect Hogwarts fans wanting his wands for their collections of memorabilia by their aura.

He said: "JK Rowling has obviously done her research but Harry Potter is for children. It has done nothing for business.

"You wouldn't believe how many real witches and wizards there are knocking about. You would be amazed. They know they can come here in reveal themselves without people thinking they're mental.

"I don't have customers who have been Harry Potterfied. If I had someone come in wanting a wand just because they liked Harry Potter I would not sell them one, not matter how much money they were offering.

"I can tell what people are like when they walk in by their aura." He would also spot dark wizards and witches the same way and will not sell wands to those wanting to hex other people or perform curses.

Former textile worker Mr Carter, opened the shop in April with partner and fellow spiritualist Jackie Restall, 43.

He claims he does not make a penny out the wants, costing £15 to £25, which he uses to spread the spiritual message.

Different types of wood give each wand different magical properties - oak for strength and courage, yew for those seeking immortality and rebirth, sweet chestnut for love and healing, elm for balance and calm, sycamore for boosting feminine intuition, and mahogany for spiritual growth.

He says: "I have no training in woodwork. I use spiritual guidance and don't know how any of the wands will turn out. All you need for them to work is faith."

Jackie said: "Personally, I'm a big Harry Potter fan but I'm afraid it is just about escapism so I respect Richard's views."

Zak Cohen, 20, President of York University Potter fan club, the HP Muggle Society, said: "I don't know what our members will make of this.

"My personal view is it's a bit weird to say the least. I can understand they don't want it treated as a joke.

"But I did not think it was allowed for a shop to say they won't sell things to a specific group of people.

"If they sold to Harry Potter fans, rather than just equipping real witches and wizards, they would sell loads more wands and we wouldn't treat them like toys."

GP Taylor, the former Yorkshire vicar turned fantasy author, said: "Magic wands do work by being a focus for your inner desires and powers.

"But I think this is terrible. Harry Potter fans should be served. They are going crazy over the Cursed Child and need their wands. It is discrimination against Potter fans. They should go to court for justice. "

Local Potter fan Mariella May, 21, said: "It is so stupid. It is like McDonald's refusing to sell happy meals to sad people. They could be selling thousands of wands if they weren't so snobbish. Nearly every young person is a Harry Potter fan."

" . . . the energy flowing from the enchanted wood into their hands"

This is clearly drawn from a Press Release by the business. It even contains the prices.

There is also the implied message that you won't bump into a lot of penniless students and schoolies in the shop.

I'm sure Telegraph readers will be flocking there! :rofl:

Perhaps Mr. Cohen should go into the wand making business if they would sell that well?

---------------------------------
Zak Cohen, 20, President of York University Potter fan club, the HP Muggle Society, said: "I don't know what our members will make of this.
"If they sold to Harry Potter fans, rather than just equipping real witches and wizards, they would sell loads more wands and we wouldn't treat them like toys."

Wait a minute, are these wands supposed to cast actual spells that work in the real world? Fair enough if the seller doesn't want them to be used for turning people invisible or whatever, but I would have thought trading standards would have been interested if they claimed to be anything but decorative sticks.

I was at school with a Richard Carter. Can't be the wand maker though, as he's over a decade too young. Or perhaps he makes spells to preserve his youthfulness! :p

I think the shop owner almost has the right idea. If he were the real deal himself, he wouldn't be peddling his wares on the high street but down on Diagon Alley. Still, I enjoy the idea of turning away kids from occult shops because they're muggles "You're not a wizard Harry, your just an ordinary person, get over yourself." It's hilariously savage as putdowns go.

I find the requirement to 'reveal yourself and take your wand in both hands' interesting, in an odd sort of way.

I'm sure I heard it someplace else.

Oh yes, on a German railway station one dark night.

I think 'lost in translation' is the safest way to describe that occasion.

Gary Grant, owner of The Entertainer toy store chain has always refused to stock Harry Potter merchandise as he doesn't want children playing with 'Darkness'. Won't sell plastic trolls either or open on a Sunday - he's a born-again Christian and to him some things are more important than Sales. Good for him. There were some complaints on Mumsnet that he seemed happy to sell Lord of the Rings toys though.

Who else bought stuff from the Sorcerers' Apprentice in Leeds ? My last time was in the early '80's but I have just found them again on-line. They were a great bunch of guys and never stuck so far up their own arses as to refused me anything (including wands) because of my Aura.

Scotty!?

Beam me up mate...

Guy's probably cranking out a dozen wands an hour, and having great fun watching the Muggles try to pretend to be real wizards and stuff when they buy them.

How cynical ol’ me sees it:

̶E̶n̶o̶r̶m̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶n̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶a̶d̶v̶e̶r̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶n̶g̶b̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶H̶u̶d̶d̶e̶r̶s̶f̶i̶e̶l̶d̶.

:rolleyes:

maximus otter

Gary Grant, owner of The Entertainer toy store chain has always refused to stock Harry Potter merchandise as he doesn't want children playing with 'Darkness'. Won't sell plastic trolls either or open on a Sunday - he's a born-again Christian and to him some things are more important than Sales. Good for him. There were some complaints on Mumsnet that he seemed happy to sell Lord of the Rings toys though.

Who else bought stuff from the Sorcerers' Apprentice in Leeds ? My last time was in the early '80's but I have just found them again on-line. They were a great bunch of guys and never stuck so far up their own arses as to refused me anything (including wands) because of my Aura.

I do miss their shop on Hyde Park Corner, sadly some nice christians arsonised it back in the early 90s and they went entirely mail order after that.

Have had vague dealings on and off with them over the years, mostly around the dubious antics of both fundie christians and SRA therapists that are active in Leeds.

For some reason the Jefferson Airplane track 'The House on Pooneil Corner' suddenly flashed into my memory.

Back