• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Keeping the witches out.

My in-laws have a place in Vermont, with a neat little treehouse in the back.

It had fallen into rot and disuse over the years, but now that I have a kid, my father-in-law and brother-in-law decided to fix it up. But while it is technically safer now, there's something about the second floor (seen in the photo above) that still creeps me out.

No, not the tiny chair sitting the dusty darkness. I'm talking about the witch window, a term that I only just learned about.

According to Vermont Public Radio, it's not uncommon to find old (non-treehouse) buildings in Vermont and other parts of New England with these weird diagonal windows tucked into eaves. It is, apparently, a unique detail of the local architectural history! Devin Colman of the state's Division for Historic Preservation told VPR that these slanted portholes were supposedly designed to prevent witches from flying through them on their broomsticks. Think about it: you're cruising through the air on your broom, looking to kidnap some unsuspecting child to add to your witchy stew, then suddenly you have to lean over 45 degrees to fit through the window … at which point gravity takes over, and you embarrassingly tumble onto the roof, then slide off the shingles until you land smack dab on the ground. ...

https://boingboing.net/2021/09/08/these-weird-windows-are-designed-to-stop-witch-attacks.html

Massive Global Study Shows Belief in Witchcraft Is More Abundant Than You Might Think

Belief in witchcraft is widespread around the world, according to a new global study that involved more than 140,000 people – but it's highly variable from place to place.

Low-Res_journal.pone_.0276872.g001.PNG-642x325.png

Based on the results, about a billion people across 95 countries believe in witchcraft, and the study notes that is "most certainly an undercount", given the sensitivity of discussing witchcraft for some respondents.

While at least some people believe in some version of witchcraft almost everywhere – about 40 percent of those who took the survey said they do – the local prevalence of those beliefs seems to vary widely.

In Sweden, for example, only 9 percent of participants reported a belief in witchcraft, according to the study, compared with 90 percent in Tunisia.

https://www.sciencealert.com/massiv...chcraft-is-more-abundant-than-you-might-think

maxius otter

Massive Global Study Shows Belief in Witchcraft Is More Abundant Than You Might Think

Belief in witchcraft is widespread around the world, according to a new global study that involved more than 140,000 people – but it's highly variable from place to place.

Based on the results, about a billion people across 95 countries believe in witchcraft, and the study notes that is "most certainly an undercount", given the sensitivity of discussing witchcraft for some respondents.

While at least some people believe in some version of witchcraft almost everywhere – about 40 percent of those who took the survey said they do – the local prevalence of those beliefs seems to vary widely.

In Sweden, for example, only 9 percent of participants reported a belief in witchcraft, according to the study, compared with 90 percent in Tunisia.

https://www.sciencealert.com/massiv...chcraft-is-more-abundant-than-you-might-think

maxius otter
That's an interesting survey and I see it links witchcraft to religious beliefs. I'd like to see what the questions were that were asked - because 'belief in witchcraft' can run quite a gamut, in the same way as religious beliefs. Anywhere from 'mildly interested in the subject and believe that some degree of mind influence can play a part' right up to 'there's a woman in our village who cursed our cow'.

Just as 'being religious' can run from 'vague belief in deity but non practicing' all the way up to 'devout, mass every day and twice on Sundays'.

maxius otter
So it states "global" study, but not really. All of Canada, Australia and other countries I can't name because I'm crap at geography are not in the study. What percentage of the globe is included in this global study? And, how was it decided what countries to exclude? I'm kind of more interested in these answers simply because it's described as global, but really isn't.
And I agree with @catseye's question of how witchcraft was defined.

For those who can understand French, just found these radio archives about witchcraft in France. It regroups several broadcasts spanning over a period of 40 years, from the sixties to the late 1990s : https://www.radiofrance.fr/franceculture/podcasts/serie-la-sorcellerie-dans-la-france-moderne

I only listened to the one about witchcraft in "Berry" (the area around Bourges, in central France) but the programme seems promising.

"Les sortilèges en Berry" is a series of interviews with several healers, an ethnologist, a psychiatrist and a journalist. The podcast evokes the healing prayers (giving an example for toothache), the belief in the powers of having "a strong blood", the strange constraints of the art (you can only transmit your secrets to a younger person, which in that case prevented one of the healers to impart his knowledge to his wife, who was unfortunately older than him). There are some mentions of poltergeist-like phenomena, and traditional fears about sorcerers (never milk cows in front of this guy, or else, they'll never give milk again). And perhaps worst of all, it even deals with this most terrifying evil ... Freudian psychoanalysis ! :p

Mainly interesting for the first-hand accounts of the "practitioners".

Listened to "La Sorcellerie en Haute Vienne" (1969) from the aforementioned French programme.

It deals with the belief in witchcraft in Limousin, another rural region of central France. Some interesting stories of bewitchment in the 20th century, with a handful of accounts from peasants, followed by a debate between between learned "intellectuals" (medical doctors, a catholic priest and a protestant pastor).

A doctor tells the tale of one of his patient who believed he had been bewitched because all his pigs started dying one after the other. So he went to the local wise woman to find out how what was happening. She instructed him to search his farm grounds for something uncanny. He finally found a small textile pouch hidden in a crack in the wall of his barn. Within the pouch, there was a small wooden box used to store needles. When he opened it, a mercury-like liquid came out and evaporated. He burned the whole thing and his infortunes stopped.

There is another fun tale, at the end of the podcast, about a family who was supposed to have dressed a goat with a wedding dress, and having nightly walked him around their village' seven crosses as a means to overcome a bewitchment afflicting their farm. Many of their fellow villagers told they had indeed witnessed the strange procession. However, the local "gendarmes" (rural policemen), who had patrolled the village never saw anything. The implicit conclusion is that this was a kind of local, rural "urban legend" ...

One of the debaters explains the survival of local belief in sorcery as the direct consequence of the church's leniancy towards local lore. I bet this debater was the protestant pastor !

Recently found an interesting archive about a 1583 witch trial in France : the trial of the sorcerers of the Marlou crossroads. The original transcripts of the trial have been published in 1996 by a small book publisher, the "editions Jerome Millon".

Interestingly, the story begins with a demonic possession case, shortly before evolving into a witch trial :

In december 1582, a teenage peasant from eastern Berry (the area around the wine producing town of Sancerre) claimed to be possessed by demons. When brought to the local priest, he claimed that one of his uncles had cursed him while in the fields. Later on, when walking back home, he had met a small furless black creature, the size of a shoe, who asked him to renounce God. As he refused, the creature jumped on him and entered his left ear. Thereafter, he started to display signs of demonic possession, frequently going into frenzy and speaking in strange voices. The local priest was at loss at what to do to help the young boy, especially since his "demons" claimed that they would accept to leave the boy only if asked to do so by who had put them there in the first place, the boy's uncle, Etienne Girault.

Etienne Girault was immediatly brought to the church to perform the exorcism instead of the hapless priest. But the chief demon possessing the boy, Chevau (meaning "Horses" - the plural is intended), refused to leave, unless Girault asked him to exorcize him in the name of Satan (instead of God). Pressed by he populace and the titular priest, Girault asked the demons to leave his nephew "in the name of Satan", and the boy's fury abated for a while. However, the 12 year's old peasant later had other crisis, and claimed that he was still possessed by a host of demons sporting funny names, such as Cri ("Shout"), Cornemuse ("Bagpipe"), and so on. He also told the villagers that he had been conducted to the witches' sabbath, at the crossroads of Marlou, where he had seen his uncle and a few other locals worshipping the devil.

The affair was therafter brought the the county judge, who incarcerated the uncle, Etienne Girault, and the other people suspected of sorcery, and started to question them. In total, five men and (only) one woman were prosecuted for their alledged participation to the sabbath. They were all peasants. Late in the trials, the possessed teenage boy tried to involve a local notable, accusing him to have participated to the sabbath and to have produced counterfeit coins, but, funnily enough, the judge called this "demonic slandering", and the notable, Mr. Nauldin, was never prosecuted. Such prudence was alas not applied to the six other victims of the trial ...

The transcripts of the trial do not suggest that any torture was used against the prisoners. However, it is very obvious that they were somewhat manipulated by the judge into to admiting their participation to the sabbath, as a key to God's "forgiveness". And likely, at least some of them thought that this "forgiveness" implied being ultimately freed. So most admitted their participation, taking care to remark that, when given "powders" by the devil, they had stubbornly refused to use these poisons to harm their neighbours, wasting them on their own cattle, or burying them in the ground. They did not understand that what was reproached to them was their participation to an alledged anti-christian cult, and that using poisons and malefices was only a secondary crime. In other words, simply going to the sabbath was enough to send them to the stake. And to the stake they finally went, indeed ... None escaped.

The only woman judged in this trial was an old crone whose ugliness was noted in the trial transcripts as an evident proof of her implication. One morning, she was found dead in her cell, strangled by her blankets. The strangulation had been carried out with a piece of wood, used as a lever behind her neck, as a "tourniquet". Even the judge found this method of "suicide" unlikely enough to remain dubious of what had actually happened. Conclusion ? The devil had certainly come to claim her soul, helping her to commit this weird "suicide".

The oldest of the convicted sorcerers, Jehan Cahouet, staunchly refused to admit anything, and defended himself until the end of the trial, three months later. He even made an appeal to the Parliament of Paris, the central judiciary institution of the kingdom. It is said that the Parliament of Paris used to break up to two thirds of the local sorcery verdicts. But this time, it did confirm the sentence, and the unfortunate Cahouet was executed along the 4 other men.

When asked by the judge if he hadn't the reputation of being a sorcerer, Cahouet had this answer : "of course my neighbours call me a sorcerer ! So do I with them when I am angry. I also called some neighbouring ladies as prostitutes. That doesn't mean they are !". Unfortunalely, such common sense did not affect the judge, who replied : "if you weren't a sorcerers, why then did you not sue these neighbours for slander ?". There was no way to escape such rhetorics, and Cahouet was convicted because all the other alledged "sorcerers" had testimonied against him.

The five men were strangled and burned at the Marlou crossroads, west of Sancerre where they supposedly had had their "sabbaths" with the devil.

Nothing is said of the teenager. Although he had participated to the sabbath, he was not considered responsible and was not worried with the consequences of this act. However, it appears he kept suffering from recurrent crisis of "possession" afterwards. The villagers did not take it into account, and did not prosecute anybody else on the basis of his accusations thereafter. It appears the trial was "cathartic" enough to quench everybody's lust for blood and revenge.

It is indeed clear from the audition of the various witnesses that many had charged the 6 convicts as a result of longstanding feuds. For instance, during the wars between the Protestants and the Catholics, a protestant army had pillaged the region, ten years before the trial. On this occasion, a bedblanket had been stolen to Cahouet by the soldiery, only to be sold later on to another peasant of the area. When Cahouet went to claim back his blanket to the peasant, this guy refused. Cahouet cursed him, and as the peasant's wife suddenly had a stroke, they blamed Cahouet for it. Especially since the lady started to feel better only after they had finally accepted to give the blanket back to Cahouet.

So clearly, lots of peasants settled old accounts with the five convicts during this trial. They probably sincerely believed their personal enemies were "witches", and this trial was an opportunity to get rid of these dangerous people. After their execution, the county returned to its sleepy quietness ...

Most local victims of the "sorcerers" made the same kind of claims : after a quarrel, the sorcerer would threaten them, telling them they would soon come to regret what wrong they had done. Immediately, or a few days after the clash, the sorcerer would seize an opportunity to touch them on the shoulder (ideally the left one), and that was enough to cause the victim of the curse to feel strange itching and scratching in the members, until some kind of paralysis took them to remain bedridden. This scenario is described time and again in the trial, although it doesn't really matter to the judge, whose only concern is to demonstrate that the sorcerers took part to a sabbath and kissed the devil's arse ...

For the peasant witnesses, however, the sabbath was not the problem. The problem was the curses the sorcerers inflicted upon them, their family and their cattle. Usually, the neurologic-looking symptoms of the curses would only stop after a reconciliation with the suspected sorcerer. They would ask him to come home to "cure" the bedridden victim. The sorcerer would usually concur, visit the victim, touch him, and take its "evil" into a piece of bread he would later give to geese, chicken or cows. The animal would soon start to deperish and die, but the afflicted peasant's would immediately start to feel better.

It is likely that this description of "curses" is a rather faithful rendition of local beliefs, and not part of the educated judges obsession with a Witch-pizza-gate-Q-anon-conspiracy. So the transcripts of the trial are rather interesting from this "etnographic" perspective. Interesting as well is the fact that the place where this trials took place kept a strong "witch" tradition up to the middle of the 20th century.

My grandmother, who lived there for more than 30 years, often told me that the old people there, still believed very much in curses and witches. And they still enjoyed petty feuds and gossiping.

Last edited:
Grave of Meg Shelton also known as The Fyld Hag burried head down and a bolder placed on top to stop her digging herself out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meg_Shelton
View attachment 62060View attachment 62059
For some reason, the picture of the gravesite and the thought that there is a person buried upside down there gives me the creeps.

It is kind of sad that someone was treated this way. I don't care to be buried, but at least I know that someone will care enough about me will send me off whichever way I want.

Norfolk Folklore Society's Stacia Brigs reminds us today that ..

'Some strange mothers for Mother’s Day…

Mother Chergrave of Loddon: freely admitted that she practiced magic and not only that, she made a living from doing so. Mother Chergrave created charms for those that visited her to cure or procure, mend or break, she read palms and stars and created herbal remedies from hedgerow herbs. She also had her own imps, bound her daughter to Satan and let her imps bite other women in order for them to become witches. As you do.

Mother Gabley was the first person condemned in Norfolk under the 1563 Act Against Conjurations, Enchantments and Witchcrafts which was passed early in the reign of Elizabeth I. She was accused of causing the death of Robert Archer, Oliver Cobb, William Barret, Henry Gouldsmith, Richard Dye and others who had sailed from Spain to England. In all, 13 men had died. She had, it was claimed, boiled eggs in cold water, stirring vigorously to raise a storm at sea. Mother Gabley was hanged in King’s Lynn in 1583, probably at Tuesday Market Place.

HAPPY MOTHERS’ DAY! Try not to drown any sailors when you’re making breakfast.'

achergrave001.jpg

Politically motivated charges? He might end up serving a spell in prison though.

The main opposition leader in Seychelles, Patrick Herminie, has been charged with witchcraft, along with seven others.

Police say the case is related to the discovery of two bodies exhumed from a cemetery on the island of Mahé.

He has denied the charges, telling local media that his prosecution is a "political show" to taint his image. Mr Herminie plans to run in the 2025 presidential election under the banner of the United Seychelles Party (USP).

A magistrates court on Monday freed him and six of his Seychellois co-accused on bail of 30,000 Seychelles rupees ($2,100; £1,745), but ruled that a Tanzanian suspect should stay in custody until the next court appearance in November.

Mr Herminie and his co-accused face several charges, including possession of items intended for use in witchcraft, conspiracy to perform witchcraft and procuring services related to witchcraft, according to local media reports.

Prosecutors allege that the opposition leader's name appeared in a WhatsApp message between a Seychellois national and the Tanzanian suspect, who was arrested on 21 September at the main international airport.

The Tanzanian was found with items related to witchcraft, including stones, black wooden artefacts, small bottles of brownish liquid, a collection of powders, and documents with strange language and "demonic and satanic" symbols, they said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-66992504

Politically motivated charges? He might end up serving a spell in prison though.

The main opposition leader in Seychelles, Patrick Herminie, has been charged with witchcraft, along with seven others.

Police say the case is related to the discovery of two bodies exhumed from a cemetery on the island of Mahé.

He has denied the charges, telling local media that his prosecution is a "political show" to taint his image. Mr Herminie plans to run in the 2025 presidential election under the banner of the United Seychelles Party (USP).

A magistrates court on Monday freed him and six of his Seychellois co-accused on bail of 30,000 Seychelles rupees ($2,100; £1,745), but ruled that a Tanzanian suspect should stay in custody until the next court appearance in November.

Mr Herminie and his co-accused face several charges, including possession of items intended for use in witchcraft, conspiracy to perform witchcraft and procuring services related to witchcraft, according to local media reports.

Prosecutors allege that the opposition leader's name appeared in a WhatsApp message between a Seychellois national and the Tanzanian suspect, who was arrested on 21 September at the main international airport.

The Tanzanian was found with items related to witchcraft, including stones, black wooden artefacts, small bottles of brownish liquid, a collection of powders, and documents with strange language and "demonic and satanic" symbols, they said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-66992504
Nothing of the story even addresses what the exhumation of bodies had to do with the charges against him.

An exhumation is strange, but what is there to suggest he was involved?

In the ancient city of Exeter, three women were hanged for practicing witchcraft in the late 17th century, the last of such executions in England. Now, merely a short walk from where the hangings occurred, the University of Exeter will offer a postgraduate degree in magic and occult science, which the school says is the first of its kind at a British university.

https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2023/10/ross-douthat-telephone.html

One comment:
I suggest that they consider what the exit criteria might be in lieu of a master's thesis that nobody will read. Successfully execute real magic within a closed system per the scientific method, or successfully practice witchcraft with demonstrable results. Perhaps like when I got my STEM masters, I had to make something that worked.

In the ancient city of Exeter, three women were hanged for practicing witchcraft in the late 17th century, the last of such executions in England. Now, merely a short walk from where the hangings occurred, the University of Exeter will offer a postgraduate degree in magic and occult science, which the school says is the first of its kind at a British university.

https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2023/10/ross-douthat-telephone.html

One comment:
I suggest that they consider what the exit criteria might be in lieu of a master's thesis that nobody will read. Successfully execute real magic within a closed system per the scientific method, or successfully practice witchcraft with demonstrable results. Perhaps like when I got my STEM masters, I had to make something that worked.
I grew up in Exeter, the plaque to the three women is on the wall of the gatehouse of the castle. I was always fascinated by it and used to read it every time we went to play in Rougemont gardens (there used to be three cannon in the gatehouse that my brother and I used to sit on).

But at least they are remembered.

I grew up in Exeter, the plaque to the three women is on the wall of the gatehouse of the castle. I was always fascinated by it and used to read it every time we went to play in Rougemont gardens (there used to be three cannon in the gatehouse that my brother and I used to sit on).

But at least they are remembered.

Two other funny comments:

Rahul
I am pretty sure that in Germany they already require credentials and registration with the Landesamt before you are allowed to practice witchcraft. Probably a minimum of 3 years of an apprenticeship as well.

Biggles F’Tang
This kind of thing is everywhere now. If Robert Johnson tried to sell his soul to the devil today he’d be blocked for not going through a certified agent.

In Canada at the present time it is illegal to pretend to be a witch with the intent of charging money for supposed charms and curses.

However it is completely legal to actually be a Witch . . . .
Have you got a link? I would like to read it.

Back