• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Witnessing Death

There’s some wonderful stories here, thanks to everyone for sharing.

When my Grandfather died a few years ago we were in the hospital with him as he drifted in and out of consciousness. Out of the blue he stretched his arms forward and moved them as if trying to grab something. My brother asked him what he could see and he whispered ‘Joey’. Joey was his older brother who’d been killed in WW2.

There’s some wonderful stories here, thanks to everyone for sharing.

When my Grandfather died a few years ago we were in the hospital with him as he drifted in and out of consciousness. Out of the blue he stretched his arms forward and moved them as if trying to grab something. My brother asked him what he could see and he whispered ‘Joey’. Joey was his older brother who’d been killed in WW2.

With so many reports of loved ones waiting for those about to pass, it re-enforces my belief that there must be something beyond this life. I hope so and I hope that there is for all of us.

I rely believe that when your dead your dead but a hope you are right and I am wrong.

We still have one dog, Toby who hasn't coped well with her death. They came home together and lived for 13 years together. He still looks for her often and it's heart breaking.

After our big dog Rocky was put to sleep (strange things happened around that too) our other dog Kizzy used to sit and stare at his bed. I'd kept the bed as Kizzy and the cats also slept in it but none of them would go in it after Rocky went. Had to bin it eventually.

After our big dog Rocky was put to sleep (strange things happened around that too) our other dog Kizzy used to sit and stare at his bed. I'd kept the bed as Kizzy and the cats also slept in it but none of them would go in it after Rocky went. Had to bin it eventually.

This ought to go in another thread, but I'll post if here so as to continue things on.
I've had a wicked cough for the past 6 weeks, getting better now although 4 weeks back I had to have a couple of days off work as I was simply unable to speak without coughing. My wife and Toby (our dog) left just before 9 am on Friday morning.
I'd spent the morning in front of the t.v with my laptop and just after midday, decided to actually go to bed for a proper rest. I fell asleep immediately but awoke 2 hours later and was laying there, quite awake, when I felt the distinct movement of small feet on the feet, then the sensation of Poppy circling about before she settled (our dogs are small and sleep at the end of the bed) and then, very distinctly, the weight of her falling against my leg.
I lay there very still, didn't see her but was rather comforted to know that she'd come back at least one more time just to check on me.

My mother died of a aneurysm, suddenly but events took place over a couple of days. We had all been out together, except for my nephew. My sister said that he had told her that he caught a glimpse of my mother in the family room in the hospital, where she couldn’t have been, as he walked in.

The hospital asked my sisters and I if we would allow her organs to be donated, they told us that we could be present for the tests which they have to do to see if there was any brain function. My husband and I were present and it became clear she had gone. My sisters had decided not to witness the tests, and all three of them seem to find it much harder than I did to come to terms with our loss.

Back