• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Nick Redfern wrote:

Amarok: Very interesting! Not seen that before. I know that Malclom Lees (RAF) did allude to other worm reports from Wilts, but that was all very much fragmentary. I have been doing a lot of research recently into sighting of what sound like a couple of large eels seen in the canals around Birmingham in the late 70s and early to mid 80s. I sometimes wonder if these old worm stories (not the Avebury one - but ones near large bodies of water) might actually be distorted tales of very large eels...?

Hate to be one of the people steering this thread off-topic, but I finally found the "Maggot of Death" story -- or, rather, Ohio ghost and fortean writer Chris Woodyard did:

http://hauntedohiobooks.com/news/creature-feature-the-maggot-in-the-churchyard/

As I half suspected, Berhardt Hurwood took the story from Elliott O'Donnell, so what you think of the tale depends on what you think of O'Donnell. But at least there are giant, hideous worms in Avebury, and that's what's important, right?

The Mildenhall treasure from C4th Britain contains a very woodwosey depiction of Bacchus
Mildenhall_treasure_great_dish_british_museum.JPG

Back