• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
WRT folklore and libraries - I was suggesting it as something you locals may want to do beforehand ;) I don't have any plans to be at Uncon, as yet.

whats uncon?
possibly going to have a look at the belsay area this weeked girlfreind permitting to have a look around during daytime.

Tin Finger said:
whats uncon?
possibly going to have a look at the belsay area this weeked girlfreind permitting to have a look around during daytime.

Unconvention 2003 – click the banner top right of this page

and you stick to the road around Belsay. 'Ware the moors.

ZF – I don’t intend to do anything till we’ve met up and talked things through. Meeting at UNCON sounds good. Apart from Friday evening and the Man FU match, my plans are fluid. Staying in Finsbury Park, so reaching anywhere in inner London aint a prob.

The ad in the Herald we can get at discount through my work, but I feel we’ll do better with PR, and I happen to know a top PR Guru and Spin Doctor to the Gentry. I can rope him in no bother.

I intend to buzz along to Twighlight Worlds tomorrow night, out of general curiosity and their involvement with Bolam Yeti. Will report back. If I return. If not, tell me Mam I loved her and Posh Bird that the Bobsie Twins owe me £5k

Fliers at UNCON sound good, and I got cheaps printers, but it’ll cost. At least we can establish contact with interested, non-FTMB types. Suggest we meet Sat. morning?

BTW, am I right in thinking this is the first FTMB organised field trip / investigation?

and yet more...

This all sounds top drawer and top notch to me.

I would have knocked out some fliers myself on my printer but it's decided to take the gee and the expensive paper I bought for it turns out to be flimsy sh*te that rips the moment it gets fed into the thing.

Mind Eth if you knock some off (now now stop making up your own jokes) without my friendly geordie yeti pic on them he'll be very cross indeed.

Tin finger are you having a larf son? "What's Uncon?"

:eek!!!!:

and yet more...

This all sounds top drawer and top notch to me.

I would have knocked out some fliers myself on my printer but it's decided to take the gee and the expensive paper I bought for it turns out to be flimsy sh*te that rips the moment it gets fed into the thing.

Mind Eth if you knock some off (now now stop making up your own jokes) without my friendly geordie yeti pic on them he'll be very cross indeed.

Tin finger are you having a larf son? "What's Uncon?"

:eek!!!!:

p.s. Eth I sent you an email, tell me what you think?

I can knock up a few dozen B/W DL fliers on the printer at work

details of proposed expedition with this board as the contact address?

curious_man said:
Whats the news on this wee trip out then?? As in when!

dunno,
June July sounds favourite

its ZFs gig, but the plan so far is we meet up at UNCON this weekend then arrange a meet in Newcastle in the next couple of weeks

details will be posted on this thread as soon as we have conspired to hatch them

venues for a Ncle meet - I suggest the Cluny, Telegraph, Bridge, Cumberland Arms?

I'm also toying with the idea of a NE Fortean Society with monthly meets?

Bolam aint the only possible expedition. I can get us permission to stay at Rosalyn Castle, next to the Chapel

anain, need to talk to ZF and interested parties

All sounds good to me - won't be at Uncon - work and all that, but I'm sure I'll find out the details on everyone's return.

PS - ZF - you get my email ok?

Re: and yet more...

Zavian Friday said:

shant

your avatar fills me with nameless dread

Wombats are attacking my sock drawer

Curious man I received your email and passed it on to Eth for scrutinisation and vetting purposes.

Eth your idea about a NE Fortean Society is a top one and I'd be more than happy to give any interested parties a tour around the site of the famous Hexham Heads case, although I don't think the present occupants of the council house they were first found at will take too kindly to us camping out in their garden :laughing:

Chillingham castle would also be a good one.

As for your suggestions for a meeting place, I can't give any comments on the places you mentioned cos I ain't been, but I would like to throw Wetherspoons' Union Rooms' hat into the ring - it's massive, the drink is cheap, and it has nice olde worlde-gentleman's-club type rooms with big plush armchairs and lots of bookcases which I think would be a very fitting ambience. Plus they have a no music policy. I interviewed Gloria Heather Dixon of Bufora and Strange Times mag there and it was very conducive.

Speaking of Gloria Dixon maybe she'd be interested in our NE Fortean group?

BTW: I'm gonna give a flier a go, it might be crap and I might only get a hundred or two hundred knocked off but I think it might be worth it.

And I emailed Steve Jones, he of the Pagan preclavities and expertise in Guardian Spirits / Hooded Entities to see if he would like to be involved in our expedition.

Fingers crossed.

;)

ethelred said:
I suggest the following. Anyone who wishes to be part of this expedition mail Stu (havent checked with him yet, but he's a lovely accomodating man for a soft southern shandy drinker)....
:hmm: I have never yet accommodated a soft southern shandy drinker..hard drinking Northern lasses seem to accommodate me though :D

Feel free to PM me, and I'll have you checked over....late at night..behind the bins...

Oii Rynner...

... there was a reason why I named the thread "Geordie Big Hairy Monster Expedition", it was due to the fact that that was the legend on the leaflets I took to uncon.

:furious:

so what was discussed bout the whole thing then?? Any dates or anything set?

dunno about ZF but I didnt make any really useful contacts at UNCON. People I met seemed to have their own agenda.

got a useful lead into Edinburgh Uni, where they have some sort of paranormal investigation dept with IR and temperature fluctuation kit. Have got Posh Bird looking into it, cos she speaks Universitois.

we need to meet

can I suggest Wed. 23rd somewhere in central Newcastle?

You're not alone Ethel...

To be honest I don't think many of the people at unconvention were what I class as Forteans and I've already had experience of their unwillingness to actually DO ANYTHING apart from chat, post, chat and post and chat some more. When I started up the uncon thread I came up with loads of things to do as projects and once suggested a group experiment we could do right up to uncon when we'd pool our results... I didn't get ONE REPLY :furious:

I finally got the leaflets done for the GBHM exp and put them on the main table and when uncon had finished I went back and they had been messed up a bit but it was hard to tell whether any had been taken. And even though I put my email address on the leaflet I have had no replies whatsoever.

Looks like it may be a small expedition but at least the few ppl on it will at least be committed. The Edinburgh Uni thing sounds great and I had an idea to contact one of the local Colleges or Unis to see if they have a Geology Dept that could vouch for the area being rich in Magnetite (spelling?) which would lend weight to CFZ's theory of earth-magnetism tripping off archetypal images in the brain.

I'm up for that meet and I'll probably bring some more of the leaflets (I knicked a load back).

TTFN:eek!!!!:

p.s. UFONERD has expressed an interest, so there's one more anyway.

right, lets meet up in the Bridge Hotel, on the end of the High Level Bridge at 7 bells Wed 23rd April and innaugurate the Geordie Fortean Society with a short talk by ZF regarding the last Bolam Beast trip followed by plotting the next Bolam Beast trip?

I'll stick a post in Announcements thread and email curious & Sue

Just a thought, but it might be worth-while checking out sunspot activity as well.

Haven't emailed STU yet, but interest is growing.:eek:

Meet

Eth how about the Union Rooms?

It has loads of rooms and some of them have big posh armchairs and bookcases so it will be very fitting for a fortean meet - I'll bring me pipe and deerstalker.

Who's coming then?

:rolleyes:

Re: Meet

Zavian Friday said:
Eth how about the Union Rooms?

It has loads of rooms and some of them have big posh armchairs and bookcases so it will be very fitting for a fortean meet - I'll bring me pipe and deerstalker.

Who's coming then?

:rolleyes:

never heard of it

where is it and will it cost us?

Union Rooms

It's that old listed building down westgate hill right under that huge office block that straddles the road and is about to be knocked down.

It's a wetherspoons so it's dirt cheap and has those old farty camra type beers I know you're so keen on :p

:_pished: <--- sorry any excuse to use that smilie

bolam

Well went to have a look today
if any one is going to drive up there watch for all the speed cameras as there are plenty all the way which ever route you go
Its a very nice place noticed a sign saying that boating isnt alowed in summer(dont remember the dates but its to do with bird mating etc)
i imagine it will be a bit creepy in dark on the outer path in particular
,narrow path, pine trees ,middle of nowhere,nice
have included some maps.

Tin Finger

Send me an email at [email protected] if you want to come up with us on the expedition, give me a few rough bits of biog and your thoughts on the subject.

And Tin is there any chance you can make the meet on wednesday night at the pub at the High Level Bridge?

By the way people I'm going to recreate the original "Geordie Big Hairy Monster Expedition" thread, and forewarn anyone to merge it this time on pain of death.

I'll come back with the link.

me and Posh Bird took a stroll round the lake on Monday

plenty of beasts in evidence but all dressed in Nike T shirts and playing football

it is indeed well spooky at dusk

a thunder & lightning storm forced us to seek shelter in the Highlander bar. I take this as a sign from the Gods

What do the locals think?

I'm sure that some people here must come from the area as there are lots of stories of visits and stuff. My girlfriends parents come from Cambo which is only a few mins drive away. We were visiting them in January when this spate of sightings was first reported and the instant reaction from the locals seemed to be that it was nothing more than a monk in his habit(?) We've just come back from the area again and that still seems to be the view. In fact the local people seem quite amused by all the Beast of Bolam stuff.

What does everyone think (especially anyone who is "local") - could it have been a Monk?

(Yes I am a shiny new virgin poster so I hope you will be gentle!)

Re: What do the locals think?

jones105 said:
What does everyone think (especially anyone who is "local") - could it have been a Monk?

(Yes I am a shiny new virgin poster so I hope you will be gentle!)

there is a Buddhist monestary at Harnham a couple of miles away and the monks do wander about some mornings doing good works

but not at Bolam at night.

and yes, reaction from locals is amusement

they havent had so much fun since the last time someone bought a tractor

Back