• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A

Anonymous

Are there any sasquatch/bigfoot stories in the UK?

As topic.

Yes, there was a report of a large hairy humanoid creature which chased a car near Torphins in Aberdeenshire in the mid 1990s. There are more details in one of the Fortean Studies volumes in an article by Jonathon Downes.

You can find another incident at:
http://www.mysterymag.com/html/bhm.html

Yup - there's a legendary man/beast/ape/humanoid thing in the Cairngorm mountains known as "The Grey Man of Ben MacDui"

The only report I can actually recall reading (from The Unexplained, I think) was a climber who saw a 40ft (sic!!) figure striding amongst the trees on a foggy night.

If this is a typical case, then this creature would obviously appear to more akin to a paranormal entity than a living creature as such.

Anyway, my memory is probably a bit dim on this score, so that's an end to my knowledge on this matter...

C

Fortean Studies Volume 5 contains the report of the hairy creature near Torphins. There is also an article by Andy Roberts about the Big Grey Man of Ben Macdhui

The 40 ft figure seen by a climber sounds more like a case of the Brocken Spectre. This is when a person's shadow is cast by low angled sunlight onto a body of cloud and is often observed by mountaineers.

It's within the realms of the paranormal again but aren't there a couple of cases where people have reported a pair of huge hairy hands covering their own on the steering wheel of their car and forcing them off the road.

The nearest equivalent (and its not very near!) is the Woodwose, the medieval 'wildman of the woods'. He overlaps with the Green Man, but tends to be more 'sub-human' whereas the GM is a kind of anthroporphism (sp? is that a word?) of nature.

Usually depicted as carrying a club, often dressed in skins - guess where our 'caveman' archetype comes from?

[
It's within the realms of the paranormal again but aren't there a couple of cases where people have reported a pair of huge hairy hands covering their own on the steering wheel of their car and forcing them off the road. [/B][/QUOTE]

There is a case of this in Dartmoor on a bridge near Princetown. Apparently many cars have veered off the bridge, plunging into the river below. The drivers who survived say they felt hairy hands taking control of their car. When i drove over it some years ago the driver thought it would be most amusing to pretend to crash. Well it scared me out my 12 year old mind i can tell you!

I dont know about the Grey Man of Ben MacDhui being 40ft tall. I found an account of a Prof Norman Collie who heard somthing large following him on the mountain which was taking steps several times that of his own. Most people however, rather than seeing somthing, sense a malevolent presence there - ghostly music and laughter have also been heard.

Wales' answer is the Grey King or Monarch of the Mist, thought to inhabit Snowdon and its surrounding peaks. In the past it was feared as a child stealer, and even the mountain guides were wary of venturing into its domain.....

There's a wonderful book on the GGM, the author of which completely escapes me. He comments that whilst he never saw the beastie, he had plenty of odd experiences in the area.

One reported case involved campers/climbers being disturbed by the sound of voices chanting in what sounded like Gaelic. Could be a sort of audio simulcra though.

Flower said:
Wales' answer is the Grey King or Monarch of the Mist, thought to inhabit Snowdon and its surrounding peaks. In the past it was feared as a child stealer, and even the mountain guides were wary of venturing into its domain.....

When I was working up at Pen-y-Pass youth hostel, I used to have fun recounting the legend of the Monarch of the Mist to American and Japanese tourists who were just about to make an ill-advised ascent of Snowdon in their flip-flops, or whatever. It's quite an easy one to believe if you're up there in the dead of night in Winter! Apparently the local guides refused to take climbers and walkers on certain routes up the mountain well into the 20th Century, which was a cause of some irritation to the likes of Mallory, who used to run parties there!

Is the Monarch of the Mist any relation to another legend about Snowdon I heard? It used to be the haunt of a giant, who was in the habit of killing men and cutting off their beards, to make a cloak with:eek: Unfortunately for him he tried it on with King Arthur, who promptly Excalibured him! The giant was buried on the summit of Snowdon, hence the Welsh name for the peak, Yr Wyddfa , or The Grave.

I love Wales.

Although i cant watch Hollyoaks coz of stupid S4C instead of channel 4. Grrrrrr.:mad:

Hello everybody...

I have memories of a show shown very early 80's as I recall called "West Country Tales" (sic) which told the tale of a boy who encountered a "Bigfoot/Wildman" type creature, presumably somewhere in the west country, on his parents farm.

When he returned to the family farm as a man he encountered it again after a bout of attacks on the farms poultry. I think he then had some kind of breakdown. It was a supposed true story made in a documentry style...

Cannot remember anymore details.

Anyone else remember it??:confused:

Torphins?

Catflap said:
Yes, there was a report of a large hairy humanoid creature which chased a car near Torphins in Aberdeenshire in the mid 1990s. There are more details in one of the Fortean Studies volumes in an article by Jonathon Downes.

You can find another incident at:
http://www.mysterymag.com/html/bhm.html

Torphins? That's just down the road from me. My Granny used to live there. How the hill did I miss this one? Can anyone give me anymore details on it?

Cujo

Any more details, or pointers to info on the Grey King? I have only heard of him from the Susan Cooper book of the same name (I believe she had him on Cader Idris), but it sounds very intriguing.

Homer said:
I have memories of a show shown very early 80's as I recall called "West Country Tales" ....
Anyone else remember it??:confused:

This series still runs - currently on Carlton Westcountry, Sunday pm. (Yesterday was on legends of Jesus in Cornwall - worth a thread to itself!)

WOW

This is something that I have never heard of in the UK.

How the hell did I miss that ?!?!?!?

I will be looking out for footprints from now on.
:eek!!!!:

BHMS IN British Isles \ Torphins.

As regards the bigfoot sightings in Aberdeenshire, I was the investigator who originally received the reports. For the an account and a couple of sketches visit my web site at

http://markayrshire.tripod.com/hauntedscotland/ also for one or two other cases. I am especially interested in British BHMs and if any persons have sightings or information \ stories from folk lore I would appreciate their contact.

[email protected]

[Emp edit: Web cache version of link]

does anyone have any good information with regards to the essex wild man.

who is he? is there proof of his exhistence? is there any good piccies online? what do you think he/it is? do you think it exhists?

Have you got any more background on this Mr.Chopper? I've never heard of the Essex wildman, but having had the misfortune to grow up there nothing would surprise me :rolleyes:

I'm intrigued by this, as an Essex girl (by residence not birth) I have not heard anything about this.

(will fellow Essex residents please note that I have resisited the urge to make libellous remarks about Basildon or Harlow men):D

No wonder my searches drew a blank it's the sussex wild man, thanks Algore!

Awwwwwwww, I was really looking forward to more information.

Guess, I'll just have to go out and find one (the sacrifices I make for this board!):D

I have just got a PM from algore, who firstly accuses me of being ricky2002 and secondly says he wrote an article on the sussex wildman not essex as i said, maybe he will tell us a bit more about.

..as i said, you can read all about it at rickys site :). But you claimed you had another report on it?

We must have our wires crossed because i thought ricky's website is complete rubbish and i never claimed to have read a report just a mention of it on another site. so can you give us a bit more information or not, it would be greatfully received.

I'm confused :confused:

No the sussex wild man doesn't exist but I was interested in seeing this other report you spoke of as it might mean that someone has gone on to rickys site, taken the information as real and has written their own report on it.

There's London, Surrey, and Kent in between.

(Incidentally, Surrey is really a '-sex' - it used to be the southern part of the old county of Middlesex, which has now been swallowed up by greater London. (In fact, large chunks of London proper were once in Middlesex.)

rynner [in pedantic mode]

Theres a gruesome short story in Clive Barker's books of blood about a giant wild-man which is set in Sussex, i think its called "The tall man" but not sure. Its an absolute classic in a collection of short stories which seem to alternate between genius and dross.

Back