• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
phadrox said:
All of the links seem to have stopped working in this story, and I was interested in finding out more as a friend of mine told me a story recently. Whilst she was out with friends at the back end oof midnight, driving through the back roads near Banchory (a small town near Aberdeen) she and another person saw something cross the road in front of their car, and the only description she could give me was 'a gorilla'. This is the most levelheaded person I know (some would say overly skeptic, definitely with a k) and usually rubbishes any ideas of a Fortean bent I try to persuade her with.

Can the old threads be revisited, or will I have to research elsewhere?

There was an incident in that area mentioned in an article in one of the Fortean Studies issues, can't remember which one but it was written by Jonathon Downes.

From what I remember some youths saw a large hairy creature watching them and then as they drove off in their car ir chased them for some distance, keeping up with the car.

Slippery slope, Your Excellency. We can't have reporters making the news, now can we?

Well, unless your name in real life is Lois Lane, in which case, go for those Pulitzers.

LOL - no I'm not Lois Lane (although I did see a man in tights in the garden once).

The Anomalist now have the report on their news page:

Stateside Fury at Our Bigfoot Cannock Chase Post
American bigfooters without a sense of humor? Perish the thought. Says one: "But clearly dicking about on Photoshop for five minutes is easier than getting out and researching a story. The sad fact is that all this will do is make people less likely to come forward for fear of being ridiculed so the whole story grinds to a halt and the actual solution to the mystery remains elusive." And: Curiouser & Curiouser: "Furious Americans" Actually Amused UK Resident at Cabinet of Wonders

www.anomalist.com

I dropped them a little note ;)

rynner said:
Probably more a ghost thing than a monster thing, but the Hairy Hands of Dartmoor is a well known tale.

You can read about it (and other Dartmoor tales) on this webpage (about halfway down - unfortunately the subheadings are almost illegible.

Well I live about 45 minutes drive from Princetown, and have driven there regularly over the years, but didn't know about the Hairy hands legend!

Now when I go again, I bet I will be driving slowly over any bridges I come across! :shock:

For an absolutely stonking wildmen story check out "Three Men Seeking Monsters" by Nick Redfern. Apparently there is a population of completely feral, prehistoric looking hair-covered wildmen hiding out down old mines on Dartmoor and Exmoor. One of these creatures was captured in 1948 and held at a psychiatric hospital outside Exeter before being taken to some facility in a disused section of the tube system. It seemed to the doctor blowing the whistle on the story that there was already a procedure for dealing with these wildmen in operation.The officials who instructed him during his custody of the wildman were representatives of the Earl of Devon and the Lord Lieutenant of the county - establishment figures, not just the police.
Another had been held at the hospital in 1944, before the whistlebowing doctor had started working there. He described the 1948 wildman as being covered in mud-caked reddish-brown hair and having a broad flattened nose and prominent heavy brow. He couldn't talk and made every attempt to resist, having originally being seen throwing rocks around and carrying on at an old mine near Ashburton.
In his memoirs "Monster Hunter" Jon Downes, one of the 'Three Men' relates the story of another wildman, shot and wounded by Home Guards searching for downed German aircrew in 1942 and taken to the same hospital and then to London.
He also tells of how the 1985 Marines' puma hunt on Exmoor was probably a search for more of these wildmen, with possibly other such operations before and since. It's possible to speculate that the Marines were called out following hostile encounters with the wildmen.

The only other mention of them I have come across was on some general purpose 'weird goings-on in Devon' website which reported a sighting of one drinking from a pool on Dartmoor in 1994. Nick R's doctor had uncovered stories of them being seen at Smitham Hill lead mine , where they had trashed mining equipment (though not apparently taking anything to use themselves). Two truckers crossing Dartmoor one night in 1957 saw 4 of them crossing the road in front of them.
They could still be there. They might eat people ! Nobody has reported them talking, using tools or making fires, and nobody seems to know what they are. Jon Downes suggested they might be descended from hypertrichosis sufferers ostracised from society - apparently there is a cluster of sufferers in north Devon and some of them have aristocratic connections, which may explain the establishment involvement.
Perhaps some of them married into the Royals, thus making these barbaric troglodytes rather more of an embarrassment ot their posh cousins than your average black sheep of the family !

Dingo667 said:
I watched a short film about this cat man yesterday on "Current TV" and thought it might be interesting for completeness sake to post the footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-x5O6QEejg
I tried to view this: the Youtube page loaded, but in the video space was the message
"An error occurred, please try again later"
Never seen that before! I tried again, still no joy...

rynner2 said:
Dingo667 said:
I watched a short film about this cat man yesterday on "Current TV" and thought it might be interesting for completeness sake to post the footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-x5O6QEejg
I tried to view this: the Youtube page loaded, but in the video space was the message
"An error occurred, please try again later"
Never seen that before! I tried again, still no joy...

I've seen it happen every once in a while. It's always been temporary for me. Try again tomorrow!

Soz, not my fault, YouTube is down today for refurbishment or something, lets hope when it is done the link will work. If not, I'll find it again somewhere.

Funnily enough I was reading this today, which has a tale of a gigantic and savage Wild Man in Blair Atholl.
http://www.archive.org/stream/uniquetra ... 8/mode/1up

but maybe it's just an explanation for the local family's coat of arms. Still, you don't hear about wild men in the british isles very often. (I'm sure we've got plentyof yobs but that's quite different).

I have to point out that "Three Men Seeking Monsters" is a work of fiction. Some of the cases are very loosly based on real ones.

In which case it should have been labelled as 'Fiction' not 'Occult' so as not to confuse people.

lordmongrove said:
I have to point out that "Three Men Seeking Monsters" is a work of fiction. Some of the cases are very loosly based on real ones.

Oh. I feel rather cheated. I enjoyed reading that book. May I ask how you know it's fiction, Lordmongrove?

lordmongrove said:

The book itself is an account of a road trip concerning three men seeking err...monsters. The accounts of wild men on Dartmoor might well be fictional, but the investigation of them (and other monsters) is the point of the book.

Perhaps the story in Jon Downes' memoirs was what the "Three Men..." wildmen were loosely based on. I'm pretty sure I know who Lordmongrove is, but leave it to him to divulge.
There are stories of miners in Wensleydale ( again lead mines, like Smitham Hill) fearing trolls, and perhaps these things are like the Littlefeet in America, of which Karl Shuker has written much on ShukerNature.

I do remember accounts of a quarry or similar on Dartmoor where a large furry humanoid shape accompanied by a sense of dread (along the lines of the Grey Man of Ben MacDhui) has been sighted / felt, but damned if I can remember anything more precise.

Will scrabble around books various later.

stuneville said:
I do remember accounts of a quarry or similar on Dartmoor where a large furry humanoid shape accompanied by a sense of dread (along the lines of the Grey Man of Ben MacDhui) has been sighted / felt, but damned if I can remember anything more precise.

Will scrabble around books various later.

Was that connected to the infamous 'hairy hands' forcing people off the road between Postbridge/Two Bridges? I was taken on holiday near there way back in the day and was incredibly disappointed when my dad's ex-army friend, who was a local, told me that the story was down to the road having a very dangerous camber on that particular stretch.

However, IIRC, there was also a connected story about a lady in a caravan seeing a hairy hand at the window of a caravan - which the above reason wouldn't explain.

Yeah, there's lots of hairy weirdness thereabouts (and yes I do have relatives down there, thank you very much) - still haven't found the figure in the quarry ref, but will do...

Does anybody know anything about this video? Its been circulating youtube for a while. Its a a strange half man/half dog creature caught on CCTV crossing a major motorway. The video itself doesn`t give any clues as to where it happened but its in the UK somewhere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VFWL2p7IxE

pinkstarbuck said:
Does anybody know anything about this video? Its been circulating youtube for a while. Its a a strange half man/half dog creature caught on CCTV crossing a major motorway. The video itself doesn`t give any clues as to where it happened but its in the UK somewhere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VFWL2p7IxE
The YouTube info says:
"This creature was filmed on CCTV running across a motorway in Bournemouth, UK."

But there is no motorway in Bournemouth. This is probably the A35 (which I used a lot, back in the 70s).

The 'monster' looks like a large dog to me. Possibly a deer?

Looks a little moody to me.

Firstly, there's something wrong with the creatures gait. That is, it appears to be running in the way favoured by eighteenth century painters of racehorses. Hind legs working in the same direction is okay for a leap, or a series of leaps, but not for a run. (Actually, I should qualify that by saying that the hind legs will shift in the same direction and at the same time in a gallop, but only at that point in its gait when the animal is shifting it's weight from it's left to its right foreleg and it's hind legs are off the ground and moving forward - they don't splay out in unison behind the animal like that in a normal run).

Secondly, the speed of the approaching car doesn't seem to waiver for an instant, despite the fact that I'd estimate that the figure is only around four to five car lengths away when it is illuminated by the car's headlights.

Oh, and thirdly - I had a look at the providers website.

We've seen that before. Somebody came on a few months ago with a set of videos that he claimed as genuine and which we universally received as some decent CGI, wanting to know whether he was promoting a new videogame, or had done the animations for class, or what? He never responded. There were three or four vids showing closer views than this, including one that supposedly showed monsters mating.

I just saw a large dog. Lurcher or similar, related to race hounds, just bigger, sorry don't know the names of dog breeds very well. Where does it look anything like a human???

I saw this vid when it first came out, and seem to remember the creature being touted as a werewolf. Ho hum.

"Oh. I feel rather cheated. I enjoyed reading that book. May I ask how you know it's fiction, Lordmongrove?"

Because i'm one of the three men! Nick wrote it as a piss take / tribute. I was flatttered but had no idea that people would take it seriously. I'm slightly worried as i do real cryptozoological research all over the world!

I remember the reports at the time: the 'huge' wolf loose on the motorway seems to have shrunk to 3 feet and become a husky.
The other sightings involved a wolf like creature which got up on it's back legs and ran off when approached - not so much a werewolf as a werewimp.

Back