• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Woken By Phantom Sound Of Smashing Glass

It may be relevant that the first set of disturbances happened quite close to the death of my father, and a fair amount of personal stress followed me to the next property.
That's an interesting thing to say... so might you be thinking that hypothetically it could be something like a bit of psychokinesis that you yourself were subconsciously creating, because you were stressed? (Or were you linking it directly to your late father? But I assume your father wouldn't be so mean to you so as to add to your stress by making crashing noises!)

That's an interesting thing to say... so might you be thinking that hypothetically it could be something like a bit of psychokinesis that you yourself were subconsciously creating, because you were stressed? (Or were you linking it directly to your late father? But I assume your father wouldn't be so mean to you so as to add to your stress by making crashing noises!)

No, I didn't link it to my father, although the thought tumbled through my mind when I first experienced the knocking (I was deciding whether or not to end my tenancy : he had always disliked me living there because the house was awkward to get to and there was nowhere to park, haha!).

I've no idea really. It is interesting to look back on it now, in retrospect.
Perhaps we 'plug in' to something we don't quite understand when in heightened states of emotion or sadness. Whether that involves two 'agencies' (myself and another unknown force) at work or just something I am projecting, I don't know.

Whether that involves two 'agencies' (myself and another unknown force) at work or just something I am projecting, I don't know.
That's a good point isn't it. Because if you (or anyone) didn't feel you were consciously doing anything (and why would you want to, it was hardly helping you feel calm in your already stressed period) then it's kind of natural to look beyond to something else. As though 'it' initiated it, but you had the energy to do it. Perhaps. That you enabled it to happen, but you weren't the one that thought 'right, let's make this particular thing happen'.

I don't know what I'm talking about, obviously :) But it is maybe a thing that some types of experience do seem to coincide with certain states of emotion, as you say.

I agree with the exploding head thingy.
I've also been harping on about hypnopompic hallucinations somewhere else on the board just recently, so won't go into that here.....but! I do have a few past examples of my own to share, which intrigue me to this day...

One of them occured at a previous address. Up to three or four weeks before I moved out, I was regularly woken by a knocking sound. It sounded exactly like a human knocking on wood - not a random series of sounds, more a certain rhythm, like many people often have a 'signature' knock when they come to visit. Due to this I ruled out rodents, pipes, house settling, etc, and it only tended to happen during the night.
All my neighbours and I had pvc doors, and there was nothing else in the vicinity to explain it.
It occurred about once a week at different times of the night and wasn't always the same 'rhythm' - it varied slightly but still had the impression of a loud, determined 'human' kind of knock.
I explained it away as hypnopompic until I was still awake reading when it happened, and my cat, snoozing on the bed almost jumped out of his skin. I did go outside to explore but found nothing.

A short while later, at my new address I would wake in the night to a terrifyingly loud crash, as if someone has kicked the front door in or else smashed through a window. This began the very night I moved in, and again several times this occurred when I was not already asleep. I lived alone at the time although a family member occasionally slept over - and she was woken by it too! Yet in her case, at the back of the house she was woken by what sounded like large stones or clods of earth hitting the bedroom window. Nothing was ever found after searching for a source to the sounds.
An otherwise positive-feeling home, although I never did sleep well in all of the 4 yrs I stayed there.
I haven't experienced anything like it since.
It may be relevant that the first set of disturbances happened quite close to the death of my father, and a fair amount of personal stress followed me to the next property. Still, being awake on a number of occasions, and having a guest witness it doesn't hold too tightly with the hypnopompic theory, so make of that what you will!
I can sympathise - I lived in a modern house for 18 months and I didn't give me one nights peaceful sleep. It seemed to generate its own noises at night and I could never find a proper explanation.

I've been woken up about 3 times in the early hours, to a sound like glass breaking. Had to turn on the light to investigate. Nothing there, nothing broken.

Anyone have a clue why people are awoken by hearing their name being called? It happened to me once at a traumatic time in my life and continued as I got up. So clear I was convinced someone else was in the house. Obviously psychological but why?

Back