• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wold Newton: Birthplace Of Heroes

MrRING

Android Futureman
Just what is Wold Newton,mentioned on another thread as worthy of it's own FT thread?

From the Main Newton Site:

The Wold Newton Family is a group of heroic and villainous literary figures that science fiction author Philip José Farmer postulated belonged to the same genetic family. Some of these characters are adventurers, some are detectives, some explorers and scientists, some espionage agents, and some are evil geniuses.

According to Mr. Farmer, the Wold Newton family originated when a radioactive meteor landed in Wold Newton, England, in the year 1795. The radiation caused a genetic mutation in those present, which endowed many of their descendants with extremely high intelligence and strength, as well as an exceptional capacity and drive to perform good, or, as the case may be, evil deeds.
Popular characters that Philip José Farmer concluded were members of the Wold Newton mutant family include: Solomon Kane; Captain Blood; The Scarlet Pimpernel; Harry Flashman; Sherlock Holmes and his nemesis Professor Moriarty (aka Captain Nemo); Phileas Fogg; The Time Traveler; Allan Quatermain; Tarzan and his son Korak; A.J. Raffles; Professor Challenger; Richard Hannay; Bulldog Drummond; the evil Fu Manchu and his adversary, Sir Denis Nayland Smith; G-8; The Shadow; Sam Spade; Doc Savage, his cousin Pat Savage, and one of his five assistants, Monk Mayfair; The Spider; Nero Wolfe; Mr. Moto; The Avenger; Philip Marlowe; James Bond; Lew Archer; and Travis McGee.

It is theorized here that there are many other characters, heroic and otherwise, who also exist in the Wold Newton Universe; some, although of course not all, may actually be members of the Wold Newton mutant family, not described by Mr. Farmer. These characters include King Kull, Conan the Barbarian, Dracula, Robin Hood, Ivanhoe, The Phantom, Victor Frankenstein and descendants, Horatio Hornblower, Zorro, The Lone Ranger, the agents of The Wild Wild West, Prince Dakkar, John Carter of Mars, Dr. Moreau, Kimball O'Hara, Dr. Nikola, Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, Nick Carter, The Opera Ghost, Brisco County, Jr., Mowgli, Carnacki, The Invisible Men, Captain Mors, Dr. Thorndyke, Tom Swift, Father Brown, Peter the Brazen, Jimgrim, The Green Hornet, The Saint, Indiana Jones, Solar Pons, Hercule Poirot, Charlie Chan, Carson of Venus, Miss Marple, The Continental Op, Philo Vance, Dr. Palfrey, Jules de Grandin, Rick Blaine, Superman, The Rocketeer, The Batman and Robin, The Wolf Man, Perry Mason, The Phantom Detective, Hop Harrigan, The Spirit, Captain America and Bucky, Godzilla, The Men From U.N.C.L.E., Doctor Who, The Avengers, The Prisoner, Derek Flint, Prince Zarkon, Remo Williams and Chiun, Carl Kolchak, Shang Chi, Steve Austin, Spenser, Maureen Birnbaum, the Ghostbusters, Buckaroo Banzai, the F.B.I. agents of the X-Files section, Buffy Summers, Lara Croft, and many more.

Is anybody else a fan ofthe worldview? I was introduced to it in Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life but I haven't read the others in the series.

Also, here is Jess Nevin's page on Wold Newton

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
Is anybody else a fan ofthe worldview? I was introduced to it in Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life but I haven't read the others in the series.

Yeah, I've read Tarzan Alive, The Other log of Phileas Fogg, the wind whales of ishmeal and the above mentioned book.

Alan Moore's "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" is very Wold Newton like, as are one or two other works.

Within the pages of Tarzan alive and the doc savage book is the family tree, which I believe the wold newton website also has. Kim Newman novels are very wold newton like too...though to be fair, he's crafted his own really.

VandalSavage said:
Also highly recommend Jess Nevins' site, mentioned above. He has accumulated a superhuman storehouse of Victorian and Pulp heroes.

Yes, an excellent site...one which I've contributed to a couple of times...I got a mention in his book which annotated the League :madeyes:

ive read "A Feast Unknown"...with not a clue about the others..are they as violent and nasty?... or the ones where vampires etc are sort of astral visitors trapped on Earth..(image of the Beast etc)

Attachments

• Wold Newton Meteorite.jpg
    Wold Newton Meteorite.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 8
Back