• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wolf Woman Of Mobile Alabama

MrRING

Android Futureman
I had never heard of this cryptid before. Reporter Kelly Kazek dug up an article with the original drawing from 1971:
https://www.al.com/living/2015/10/original_drawing_of_legendary.html
The Wolf Woman of Mobile

The half-wolf, half woman creature so frightened the citizenry of Mobile that people began calling The Press-Register to report the sightings. On April 8, 1971, the newspaper reported the phenomenon, complete with a drawing of the creature conceived by a newspaper illustrator: "Listening to as many as 50 phone calls the Press Register has received, day and night, in approximately a week, you wonder if perhaps there isn't something out there."

Witnesses described the creature as "pretty and hairy," and "the top half was a woman and the bottom was a wolf." An unnamed teenager is quoted as saying: "My daddy saw it down in a marsh and it chased him home. Now, my mommy keeps all the doors and windows locked." One witness had heard the creature had escaped from a circus sideshow.

The reporter said the fear of witnesses seemed real, although the initial reports would have begun on April Fool's Day. The police were getting calls, too, and although officers would not make an official comment, they did investigate to determine what, exactly, Mobile's citizens were seeing. Sightings of half-wolf, half human creatures have been reported throughout history, with the werewolf being the most common incarnation. The legends of anthropomorphic creatures stem from American Indian folklore and capture the imagination. Within days, sightings of the Wolf Woman of Mobile stopped and have not been reported since.

wolfwoman.jpg

Wolf Woman appears to have 3 legs..

Is 'sulking' a typo for 'skulking', or is the poor thing unhappy?

The Wolf Woman story spread regionally before fizzling out. Here's a Pensacola (Florida) news item from 17 April.

WolfWoman-FL-News.jpeg

SOURCE: Pensacola News Journal, 17 Apr 1971 (Saturday), Page 26​

Back