• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Woman Trapped In Stairwell For 2.5 Days

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This case is disturbing for the fact her entrapment was a result of the building design and operational protocol rather than any unexpected circumstances.

This happened at a jail facility. As far as I can tell she was simply leaving the premises following an arrest and wasn't attempting to escape any active detention.

Woman trapped in St. Louis jail stairwell for 2.5 days

Authorities say a woman was trapped in a St. Louis jail stairwell for more than two days after not understanding how to get out of the building.

St. Louis Corrections Commissioner Dale Glass said the woman didn’t appear to be suffering when she was found and refused to go to a hospital.

Glass told The St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the woman was leaving the St. Louis Justice Center on June 5 after being arrested when she went through a fire exit door, which caused all doors on all floors to lock.

Although the woman made noises, staff couldn’t find her because she moved from floor to floor. They didn’t search the fire stairs.

Staff finally saw her on June 7 looking through a window of one of the doors.

SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/2a1836e7f1f040b8b51d221dea0b5dc6

Does not sound encouraging that going through a fire exit would cause "All doors on all floors to lock!"

I am amazed she didn't suffer ill effects. My workplace has fire escape stairs that you can get onto without a security pass but you can't get out of without one. Colleagues have spent considerable amounts of time trapped in them, but not that long thank goodness.

Back