Woolly Mammoth Hybrids 'In Six Years'

Frasier Buddolph

CAUTION: May not know what he's talking about.
Reaction score
Bitcoin Billionaire to Reverse Climate Change by Cloning Wooly Mammoths

https://fortune.com/2021/09/13/bitcoin-billionaires-winklevoss-twins-woolly-mammoth/

Ummm . . . if I read this correctly, the idea is to reverse climate change by cloning wooly mammoths, setting them grazing on the tundra (which is already melting), and so returning the land to its primordial state. What am I missing here? Because this strikes me as a crack-brained idea.

"Gee, what can we do with all this money we've got? Ooo! Ooo! I know! I want a MAMMOTH! Nobody has a MAMMOTH!! That would be super cool!"

"But all the mammoths are dead, son. You'd have to use advanced genetic engineering to recreate one, sort of like Jurassic Park, and you remember how that turned out. Raises all kinds of knotty ethical problems. You'd get a lot of push-back and bad PR."

"Hmm, yeah, you're right. But how could we spin it to make it look like a GOOD thing? . . . . . Ooo! I know! We'll pitch it as a solution to climate change! Everyone will LOVE it!!"

Aeschylus was right: "A prosperous fool is a grievous burden."

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

https://fortune.com/2021/09/13/bitcoin-billionaires-winklevoss-twins-woolly-mammoth/

Ummm . . . if I read this correctly, the idea is to reverse climate change by cloning wooly mammoths, setting them grazing on the tundra (which is already melting), and so returning the land to its primordial state. What am I missing here? Because this strikes me as a crack-brained idea.

"Gee, what can we do with all this money we've got? Ooo! Ooo! I know! I want a MAMMOTH! Nobody has a MAMMOTH!! That would be super cool!"

"But all the mammoths are dead, son. You'd have to use advanced genetic engineering to recreate one, sort of like Jurassic Park, and you remember how that turned out. Raises all kinds of knotty ethical problems. You'd get a lot of push-back and bad PR."

"Hmm, yeah, you're right. But how could we spin it to make it look like a GOOD thing? . . . . . Ooo! I know! We'll pitch it as a solution to climate change! Everyone will LOVE it!!"

Wow, that's just mad.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

Could be worse, he could design and build a space ship for tourists, oh wait...

WeirdExeter

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Well, I”m excited:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/sep/13/firm-bring-back-woolly-mammoth-from-extinction

“Ten thousand years after woolly mammoths vanished from the face of the Earth, scientists are embarking on an ambitious project to bring the beasts back to the Arctic tundra.

The prospect of recreating mammoths and returning them to the wild has been discussed – seriously at times – for more than a decade, but on Monday researchers announced fresh funding they believe could make their dream a reality.

The boost comes in the form of $15m (£11m) raised by the bioscience and genetics company Colossal, co-founded by Ben Lamm, a tech and software entrepreneur, and George Church, a professor of genetics at Harvard Medical School who has pioneered new approaches to gene editing.”

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
It's completely insane and probably won't work at all, but part of me is still fascinated.
Is it a wise idea?

No.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
They got it wrong; I ordered a Megalaceros, not a mammoth.

Cant they get it right? I even sent a picture.

(At least I didnt order a Garefowl; heavens know what dinosaura I might end up encumbered with).

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
My first impulse was to post a wisecrack about bio-engineering a revivified Arctic species when their Arctic tundra environment is in the process of disappearing. It turns out they're attempting to justify this project by claiming resurrected woolly mammoths would be useful instruments for protecting and preserving the tundra.

From the OP-linked article ...
“Our goal is to make a cold-resistant elephant, but it is going to look and behave like a mammoth. Not because we are trying to trick anybody, but because we want something that is functionally equivalent to the mammoth, that will enjoy its time at -40C, and do all the things that elephants and mammoths do, in particular knocking down trees” ...

The project is framed as an effort to help conserve Asian elephants by equipping them with traits that allow them to thrive in vast stretches of the Arctic known as the mammoth steppe. But the scientists also believe introducing herds of elephant-mammoth hybrids to the Arctic tundra may help restore the degraded habitat and combat some of the impacts of the climate crisis. For example, by knocking down trees, the beasts might help to restore the former Arctic grasslands.

Not all scientists suspect that creating mammoth-like animals in the lab is the most effective way to restore the tundra. “My personal thinking is that the justifications given – the idea that you could geoengineer the Arctic environment using a heard of mammoths – isn’t plausible,” said Dr Victoria Herridge, an evolutionary biologist at the Natural History Museum.

“The scale at which you’d have to do this experiment is enormous. You are talking about hundreds of thousands of mammoths which each take 22 months to gestate and 30 years to grow to maturity.” ...

Gareth Phoenix, a professor of plant and global change ecology at the University of Sheffield, said: “While we do need a multitude of different approaches to stop climate change, we also need to initiate solutions responsibly to avoid unintended damaging consequences. ..."

“For instance, mammoths are proposed as a solution to help stop permafrost thaw because they will remove trees, trample and compact the ground and convert landscapes to grassland, which can help keep the ground cool. However, we know in the forested Arctic regions that trees and moss cover can be critical in protecting permafrost, so removing the trees and trampling the moss would be the last thing you’d want to do.”
I've got a bad feeling about this. I can see how this could result in a disturbing item for either the Day Of The Animals or the Day Of The Humans thread.

Erinaceus

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
"bringing back these ancient creatures through genetic engineering could help reverse climate change". Wouldn't the methane emissions of huge herds of mammoths cancel out any benefits?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
"bringing back these ancient creatures through genetic engineering could help reverse climate change". Wouldn't the methane emissions of huge herds of mammoths cancel out any benefits?
Yes!

Ogdred Weary

The Lich King
Reaction score
I imagine that six years from now we will be hearing that mammoth hybrids are: "Just Six Years Away!"

Or we will hear nothing because it will have failed full stop, in the interim.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Climate change is something of a red herring here.
I feel the real question is whether we should try to de-extinct animal species that were hunted to extinction by humans.
Personally, I would be very happy to see a planet Earth with fewer humans and more Mammoths, Dodos, Great Auks, Thylacines, Steller's Sea Cows, Black Rhinos and dozens of others.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Climate change is something of a red herring here.
I feel the real question is whether we should try to de-extinct animal species that were hunted to extinction by humans.
Personally, I would be very happy to see a planet Earth with fewer humans and more Mammoths, Dodos, Great Auks, Thylacines, Steller's Sea Cows, Black Rhinos and dozens of others.

Maybe de-extinct dire wolves and sabre toothed tigers to cull the humans.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Someone's just managed to potty train some cows so maybe this could work with pointless mammoth hybrids? .. I mean give them snack rewards for breaking wind in a controlled area ..

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
It's completely insane and probably won't work at all
ill-show-you.jpg

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Someone's just managed to potty train some cows so maybe this could work with pointless mammoth hybrids? .. I mean give them snack rewards for breaking wind in a controlled area ..

By Jove I think you’re on to something - get him on the phone now!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

That could work for me.