• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Word Of The Day

I had never heard of the word Mycorrhiza before today.
I only came across it after watching In The Earth last night (see Horror Movies thread) and checked out a few reviews this morning.
Mycorrhiza describes a beneficial symbiosis between fungi and the roots of trees and other wild plants; a kind of interconnected benign oneness in woodland, which film director Ben Wheatley took one step further and developed into a sentient nature spirit.
Not sure when I'll have an opportunity to use the term mycorrhiza in casual conversation again, but will strive to work it in somehow.

Last edited:
First inkling of the importance of the mycorrhizal association between fungi and tree roots was on an Ecology field trip to Cranesmoor bog in the New Forest (1986). In the middle of the bog was a sandy island where pine trees were approx 25 feet tall. In the bog itself where the acidic waterlogged conditions prevented the survival of the fungi, a lonesome pine tree (same age as the island copse) was less than 3 feet high. Thank you for the opportunity of squeezing mycorrhizal into casual conversation.

Back