• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Word Of The Day

I actually like corned beef. Was something of a treat when I was a kid.

I actually like corned beef. Was something of a treat when I was a kid.
Always handy to have a few tins in the cupboard.

Eaten cold with Branston pickle... hmm! :)
(Hint: if you plan to eat it cold, put the tin in the fridge for a while first - this firms up the Corned beef, and it slices more neatly.)

I often cook with it too - add chopped tomatoes, plenty of garlic and herbs (dried are fine) for a passable Spag Bolog!

I quite like a corned beef hash. You need plenty of hash to mask the taste of the corned beef though.

Corned Beef Hash - my way

Chop up some onions, place them in a pan of hot water

Chop up some potatoes and add to the mix

Now open your tin of corned beef and break it up, add to the mix

Add veg and gravy granules and stir

Now add one of two OXO cubes, stir and then leave to simmer

Plate up with a crusty cob...yum,yum

That would be a recipe for disaster.

Reminds me of a place I worked at that had a very small kitchen - sink & a microwave. Yet nailed to the wall above the microwave was one of those fire blankets. I never knew they actually worked well with microwave related fires.

Maybe the idea is to wrap the burning microwave in the blanket prior to chucking it out the window...having unplugged the microwave.

And opened the window.

Maybe the idea is to wrap the burning microwave in the blanket prior to chucking it out the window...having unplugged the microwave.

And opened the window.

The window was high up and couldnt be opened. Believe me, if that microwave caught fire and exploded in that small room your next sensation would be a dark tunnel with a light at the end :D But hopefully the fire blanket would be un harmed.

Hey, that fire blanket would make a very spooky one-off movie - the cursed fire blanket, springs to mind. Where everyone who touches it eventually dies from some kitchen related accident. :D

Yes! the entire building reduced to smoking pile of rubble but the plucky little fire blanket in good enough condition to take back to the shop (assuming the receipt had been removed to a another location for safekeeping).

Yes! the entire building reduced to smoking pile of rubble and the plucky little fire blanket in good enough condition to take back to the shop (assuming the receipt had been removed to a another location for safekeeping).

Or, over the last 50 years theyve rebuilt on that land several times with the land owner (wearing a black leather glove) replacing the evil fire blanket. Ooh, ooh, ahh, ahh.....:D

Hey, that fire blanket would make a very spooky one-off movie - the cursed fire blanket, springs to mind. Where everyone who touches it eventually dies from some kitchen related accident. :D

That's actually not a bad idea at all! The blanket could be x-rayed by 'boffins' to reveal a mawkish image of a tearful child mysteriously visible on the reverse.

It would be to normal fire blankets as the firemen in Fahrenheit 451 are to normal firemen. Ish.

If the action were relocated to America for the usual commercial reasons, a local psychic could issue dire warnings about it being an ancient Native American fire blanket.

etc.

Last edited:
Perhaps this thread should be incinerated, without benefit of fire blanket, as it's clearly strayed too far from its intellectual (albeit slightly pretentious) roots. :rolleyes:

Perhaps this thread should be incinerated, without benefit of fire blanket, as it's clearly strayed too far from its intellectual (albeit slightly pretentious) roots. :rolleyes:
Word!

Quite so: a word I have been liking today is

Pantagruelian

Ah, I used to know that, but I'd forgotten it, so I had to look it up.
I've also forgotten how to do Spoilers on the new MB, so here's an old fashioned one:

According to Rabelais, the philosophy of his giant Pantagruel, "Pantagruelism", is rooted in "a certain gaiety of mind pickled in the scorn of fortuitous things"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargantua_and_Pantagruel
:p

I'd never come across it in my life. I'm sure Lovecraft would've used it, had he read owt much besides Poe ;)

Had no idea about the literary origins - that would certainly explain why it's such an odd word. Very interesting, thanks!

It would be to normal fire blankets as the firemen in Fahrenheit 451 are to normal firemen. Ish.

If the action were relocated to America for the usual commercial reasons, a local psychic could issue dire warnings about it being an ancient Native American fire blanket.

etc.

:D

World Wide Words newsletter has bing-bonged into my In Box, full of assorted goodies. Samples:

Caparisoned.

Fionnuala McHugh sent a link to a Daily Telegraph book review from 2009, which said “The riderless horse is known as a caparison, a custom that dates to the time of Genghis Khan. It symbolises a fallen warrior.”
Having now found more examples, it appears I was wrong last time to say this sense is an error. The idea comes from a riderless horse in a funeral procession often being richly decorated. No dictionary on my shelves, nor the online Oxford English Dictionary, includes this meaning of caparison.

Skint

Q. I’m a fan of the Andy Capp comic and one weird word keeps appearing that apparently means “broke” or “without funds”: skint. Can you tell me anything about it? [Bill Waggoner]

A. This is a very well-known, originally British English slang term that’s also known throughout the Commonwealth, though to a lesser extent (I think) in Canada. It’s fairly rare in the US, though not unknown: knowledge of it there is probably thanks to Andy Capp.
The meaning is the one you give, illustrated by this sentence from The Sun of 16 Apr. 2015: “Hayley doesn’t care that she is skint, she is going to use loans to redecorate.” It can also sometimes refer to lacking some necessity other than money.

It can be traced back in that spelling and pronunciation to the early years of the twentieth century as a variant of skinned. To be skinned or skinned out was to be deprived of all your money by gambling, frequently of the rigged sort.
Henry Mayhew noted in his London Labour and the London Poor in 1861 that sailors often suffered being skinned, which he said was being “stripped of his clothes and money from being hocussed, or tempted to helpless drunkenness” (to hocuss was to cheat a man by drugging his drink; it’s a variation of an obsolete eighteenth-century noun hocus, trickery or deception, from the magician’s magic formula
hocus-pocus ; hoax is from the same source).

To skin was by then almost half a century old in the gambling sense and is known from the middle of the previous century for thieving goods. Skinned in the penniless sense survived into the first decades of the twentieth century alongside skint but was gradually ousted by it.
British English also has a related term for being without money: boracic, often said like brassic. This is rhyming slang, from boracic lint, a once common type of surgical dressing.

I understand that he’s now all but skint, totally boracic, with the arse nearly out of his trousers.
Raising Steam, by Terry Pratchett, 2013.

Americans once knew skinning in the related sense of cheating in exams and, often in the form skin out, for absconding or running away; it has also been a dialect or regional form of the past participle of skin in various senses.

And even 'exploding head syndrome' gets a mention!

This has to be of use, sometime, somehow...semi-simulated stimulation meretriciously moves (or makes) mountains:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/orogenous_zone

Orogenous Zone

Etymology
By analogy to erogenous zone.

Noun
orogenous zone (plural orogenous zones)

(geology, often humorous, by analogy to erogenous zone) A region characterized by mountain-building.
Orogenous zones are usually found along plate boundaries.
'The villagers were astonished to learn that they were living in an orogenous zone'.
1960 World Petroleum, vol. 31, M. Palmer, ed., page 65:
...an orogenous zone separates a deep subsiding western zone, over 3,000 meters deep, from a more stable eastern zone rising gently to the east

rebarbative.

Spotted today, didn't know what it means - here is the defn.

adjective
causing annoyance, irritation, or aversion; repellent.

I think I can find uses for that one!

Last edited:
Are we permitted dodgy autoneologisms on this thread?

Or would I be chased to the walls of this shining city, then be cast down into the moat, to float like Carry On?

Are we permitted dodgy autoneologisms on this thread?

Or would I be chased to the walls of this shining city, then be cast down into the moat, to float like Carry On?

What ever your taking can I have some please :)

Back