Words & Phrases You Never Want To Hear Again

ShadyCavalier

Devoted Cultist
Is that terrible Thorntons advert still running? The one with the tag-line "The art of the chocolatier"? It's a not a bad tag-line, in and of itself. Not great, granted, but not terrible. However. Whoever it was who asked Joanna Lumley to pronounce it in some sort of assumed English way: "Chock-a-le-TEA-er", like a Dumas character who didn't quite make the cut - oh, who am I kidding? Anyone who has never encountered "chocolatier" (a French word, because the bloody English don't understand anything kitchen-related after about 9.30am) isn't going to have heard of Dumas... But the half-arsed attempt at demotic pronunciation just makes me weep - did Xander down at the ad agency reckon that the Greggs demographic is just too thick to figure out what shoc-au-LAH-tea-ay might mean, never mind that they have just sat through an advert for, um, chocolates? Condescending arseholes, everyone involved. :chain:
I enjoyed your rant, but perhaps she thought it was non-U to pronounce it as the French do.

I've always thought the main difference is that an american season does last at least as long as a season of the year eg at least 13 episodes, whereas a british series is lucky to get 6 episodes.

except this is not accurate for many series...so...?

And what about programmes like casualty which go on forever. yet are not technically soaps? and then you've got programmes like Morse/Inspector Morse. imdb lists 12 seasons but that is 33 episodes!

There was a line in american series The Good Place (season 1) where Tahani is making Eleanor watch a terrible British sitcom and she says (something like) 'this is one of Britain's most beloved programmes, it ran for 16 years. They made almost 30 episodes you know!'
:) It's true; some British sitcoms might have one series / season every year or every other year of only six episodes (or even five in the case of one series of Ever Decreasing Circles). A weird consequence of this is that the cast sometimes appear noticeably older from one run to the next.

Still, British television execs are usually less ruthless than their US counterparts when it comes to axing shows - they'll usually give a first series a chance (as traditionally it will be in the can before broadcast rather than written and produced according to a weekly schedule). Often a pilot is not taken up, but I can't recall a British sitcom (for example) being given the chop after two episodes.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Whoever it was who asked Joanna Lumley to pronounce it in some sort of assumed English way: "Chock-a-le-TEA-er", like a Dumas character who didn't quite make the cut - oh, who am I kidding? Anyone who has never encountered "chocolatier" (a French word, because the bloody English don't understand anything kitchen-related after about 9.30am) isn't going to have heard of Dumas... But the half-arsed attempt at demotic pronunciation just makes me weep...
I shall issue instructions that all the people of Britain must pronounce all French words exactly as a Frenchman would.

This will be obeyed by every Brit from Londres to Édimbourg.

maximus otter

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
This will be obeyed by every Brit from Londres to Édimbourg
Zut alors! Saved by my (current) extreme northerness.

A frequent expression in Scots English from my childhood was the term "a fox's paw", which was a phonetic (calque? No, that's not the proper grammatical term...help me someone, is is an eggcorned mondegreen?) for the French expression faux pas.

Its meaning could mean the same as in French (cf an embarrassing or tactless act or remark in a social situation) but also extended into meaning a very-problematic mistake. It was considered to be a type of proper swearing in our house and appeared to be a shared expression, as fellow inmates at my school used it too.

As I've said here before, I was brought up with the Lallans Scots word "ashets" for plates and crockery, which is directly from the French assiette. There is a lot of mangled mispronounced French in Scots...if I ever wake-up today, I'll try to remember some more.

The use of Scots alongside English happens on a barely-tolerated basis even now, and at school in the 60s it was beaten out of us every bit as assiduously as was the Gaelic. So every syllable of it is loaded.

Is it only in Scotland that the idom "pardon my French" is used, to excuse swearing in English? I've never heard it in any other form of Home Countries or Commonwealth English, or in British North America.

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
Ah! Mais oui....je comprends.

Mantenant "les goddams" similaire du "les rossbeefe"? C'est eau enchute de plumes du canard!!!

And that is quite enough Poirot for today, n'est pas?
Poirot was Belgian, I don't like the character but to imply he was French is a step too far !

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
... Is it only in Scotland that the idom "pardon my French" is used, to excuse swearing in English? I've never heard it in any other form of Home Countries or Commonwealth English, or in British North America.
It's been used in American English since at least as early as the 19th century. I've heard and used it regularly for over 50 years.

It was even the title of a 1921 American comedy film.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0012546/?ref_=nv_sr_3

ShadyCavalier

Devoted Cultist
Re: season vs series: I always thought that Americans called a series a season because their programmes go on for so bloody long (i.e. spanning an entire calendar season). Meanwhile our big dramas tend to only last for 6-8 episodes at a time, perhaps due to our lack of budget and/or knack for restraint.

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
Poirot was Belgian, I don't like the character but to imply he was French is a step too far !
<whirr:click:stop:start:wait> But...I was just indicating he was a Francophone- wasn't I? That's all part of Hercule's famed I'm-not-a-Frenchman schtik.

I dunno- probably it's a good thing I didn't idly-quote any lyrics from Celine Dion's song 'Je Sais Pas'....je voudrais apprendre..? :)

Verbal Earthworm

_Anagrammatical_
ect when they mean etc. - this really gets my goat as they want to appear knowledgeable and fail miserably.

innit - short for "isn't it" and now wildly popular on the internet, when I prefer "ennit", short for "ain't it" and from my original NE London/Essex dialect (internet is telling me it's hardly even slang let alone a real word, boo).

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I'm quite fond of the word discombobulated at the moment, the Mrs uses it, I haven't given it a road test yet. It perfectly fits those moments when you've just woken up after having a weird dream and you need a few moments to get your head together an reorient yourself.

I thought she was making it up but a quick google search shows it's a real word to my delight.

Verbal Earthworm

_Anagrammatical_
I'm quite fond of the word discombobulated at the moment, the Mrs uses it, I haven't given it a road test yet. It perfectly fits those moments when you've just woken up after having a weird dream and you need a few moments to get your head together an reorient yourself.

I thought she was making it up but a quick google search shows it's a real word to my delight.
I used to use it frequently, mostly when roleplaying.

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
'''Babycino'' sometimes spelt ''Babyccino''. Now I don't know if this is a worldwide thing or not, but here in Australia, it's frighteningly common. Go into most cafes and you'll see this option offered. Basically it's warmed frothed milk, served in the tiniest mugs or takeaway cups for children.
Pretentious parents tend to order it for their children who are of course more special than your child or mine ever was or will be.
At one point in our lives, my wife and I owned a cafe and refused to serve them, simply from a safety perspective. The milk/froth came from the same jug that milk came from for regular coffee and whilst we used a thermometer to judge the temperature of the various milks we used for coffee, we were not going to put ourselves at risk of a child scalding itself on milk too hot. Conversely, if the milk/froth was too cold, you then had the risk of a crying child and it's screaming Banshee mother creating a scene.
We once had (this is a true story) four adults walk out because a 2 year old could not get a babycino. Two parents and two grand parents pandering to in infant, who wasn't even complaining, it was her mother who was. Our loss, I know, but our sanity was saved at the end of the day.