Words & Phrases You Never Want To Hear Again

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
"Can I get" gets under my skin ... in context, I'll be standing in a shop and the person in front of me is being served. The server gives a cheery "Hi! how can I help you?" to be met with a blunt "Can I get." .. how many extra calories and time would it cost these people to say "Can I please get" instead? .. it's basic politeness.

Swifty

Reaction score
American innit blud.

I confess I use it.

But, of course, put a please on the end.
That please will always get you hidden extras from staff as well .. everywhere I've worked. I told my trainee this so we only hand out the under the counter loyalty cards to polite customers. My boss firmly agrees. "Can I get **** please" is perfectly acceptable.

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I'm starting to get irritated by the word "veggies". I saw a TV commercial yesterday - I have no recollection of the product or service being plugged - that used the word every three seconds.

It's kind of cute when you use it with kids, and it's not necessarily a problem in isolation, but habitually avoiding the proper word "vegetables" just makes someone sound like a juvenile idiot to me.

Swifty

Reaction score
I'm starting to get irritated by the word "veggies". I saw a TV commercial yesterday - I have no recollection of the product or service being plugged - that used the word every three seconds.

It's kind of cute when you use it with kids, and it's not necessarily a problem in isolation, but habitually avoiding the proper word "vegetables" just makes someone sound like a juvenile idiot to me.
Half of my customers point at the lettuce when I ask them what they'd like and call it 'salad' .. is this a new thing or are they just stupid? .. it has a name!? .. it's called lettuce ..

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
well, if any of them went to school, they wasted their time.

It's worse. A couple of years ago I had a conversation with someone who graduated from university a couple of years ago. She had no idea what Remembrance Day and the whole poppy campaign was. Claimed to never had heard of it. And when I explained it she didn't get it.

Only last month I was being interviewed by a undergraduate student doing her dissertation. I was under the impression we were going to be having an intellectual conversation about my line of work. Pretty soon tho I realised I had to regulate my speech and ideas to a level a few years below my 8 year old.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Half of my customers point at the lettuce when I ask them what they'd like and call it 'salad' .. is this a new thing or are they just stupid? .. it has a name!? .. it's called lettuce ..
In Hungary I was often treated to a 'tomato salad' which was one tomato sliced up and sprinkled with herbs.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
"Can I get" gets under my skin ... in context, I'll be standing in a shop and the person in front of me is being served. The server gives a cheery "Hi! how can I help you?" to be met with a blunt "Can I get." .. how many extra calories and time would it cost these people to say "Can I please get" instead? .. it's basic politeness.
Surely it should be 'can I have', 'could I have' or 'please could I have'?
'Can I get' means that the person doing the asking wants self-service - they don't want the other person to serve them.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
It's worse. A couple of years ago I had a conversation with someone who graduated from university a couple of years ago. She had no idea what Remembrance Day and the whole poppy campaign was. Claimed to never had heard of it. And when I explained it she didn't get it.

Only last month I was being interviewed by a undergraduate student doing her dissertation. I was under the impression we were going to be having an intellectual conversation about my line of work. Pretty soon tho I realised I had to regulate my speech and ideas to a level a few years below my 8 year old.
Unfortunately, I have noticed this in quite a few young grads. They have only studied for the exam and haven't bothered doing any wider reading of non-related literature. I despair.

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
They have only studied for the exam and haven't bothered doing any wider reading of non-related literature.

She tracked me down, I was an invaluable resource.

A few minutes in she clearly got bored and wasn't much interested.

Swifty

Reaction score
Surely it should be 'can I have', 'could I have' or please could I have'?
'Can I get' means that the person doing the asking wants self-service - they don't want the other person to serve them.
When people say "Can I get." at my place, I always have to bite my tongue from replying "I don't know? can you?" .. although when I get someone come in and say "I don't know what I want!" which is fairly common and btw thanks for rushing up to me to tell me that you don't know what you want, I just reply with "I don't know either?" .. " .... but here's our options ... this is very popular at the moment" .. and I'll just point at something random. They hardly ever ask for 'that' after I've suggested it but it's a good technique to politely stop their brain fart/in a trance vibe so they can start telling me what they want instead. I'd be more forgiving if I was a car or house salesman .. those are decisions that do require serious time and consideration.

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
When people say "Can I get." at my place, I always have to bite my tongue from replying "I don't know? can you?" .. although when I get someone come in and say "I don't know what I want!" which is fairly common and btw thanks for rushing up to me to tell me that you don't know what you want, I just reply with "I don't know either?" .. " .... but here's our options ... this is very popular at the moment" .. and I'll just point at something random. They hardly ever ask for 'that' after I've suggested it but it's a good technique to politely stop their brain fart/in a trance vibe so they can start telling me what they want instead. I'd be more forgiving if I was a car or house salesman .. those are decisions that do require serious time and consideration.

Note to self. Don't go to Swifty's place.

Sounds...intense.

:worry:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
this is very popular at the moment" .. and I'll just point at something random.
Like when you're assisting a dementia patient to dress, and you pull out two items of clothing and say 'This is very smart/pretty and I've always liked you in this!' so they can choose.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

When I'm served I say 'May I please have...' and when it's dished up I add 'Oh that looks lovely, thank you very much!'

Saves getting my nosh spat in.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
'keep safe'

A) there is no such things as 'safe'.
B) almost all human progress - and indeed spice in life - has been down to NOT keeping safe.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
'keep safe'
A) there is no such things as 'safe'. ...
As the professionals dedicated to keeping us "safe" repeatedly emphasize (perhaps self-servingly?):
If you believe the doctors, nothing is wholesome: if you believe the theologians, nothing is innocent: if you believe the soldiers, nothing is safe.
- Lord Salisbury (3rd Marquess of Salisbury)
https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780191843730.001.0001/q-oro-ed5-00009088

B) almost all human progress - and indeed spice in life - has been down to NOT keeping safe.
"Safe" is a concept of value solely to (a) those who have something they fear to lose and / or (b) those who fervently cling to the status quo. Neither should be trusted at face value.

Swifty

Reaction score
'keep safe'

A) there is no such things as 'safe'.
People say that to me as well mate .. I always joke back with "never!" .. I know they mean well but it sounds as about natural as someone saying "Live long and prosper".

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
As the professionals dedicated to keeping us "safe" repeatedly emphasize (perhaps self-servingly?):

https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780191843730.001.0001/q-oro-ed5-00009088

"Safe" is a concept of value solely to (a) those who have something they fear to lose and / or (b) those who fervently cling to the status quo. Neither should be trusted at face value.
Or its a big metal box with a lock

95a034547400c18c7654440e24f21c7f--antique-safe-antique-iron.jpg