Words & Phrases You Never Want To Hear Again

CharmerKamelion

Who knows where it will end?
Reaction score
Souleater, is that a photo of a safe ON WHEELS???

I guess that solves the problem of having to know the combination. Just wait till no-one is around and wheel it away.

Btw - this apparently is my one hundredth post. Just sayin'.....

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Souleater, is that a photo of a safe ON WHEELS???

I guess that solves the problem of having to know the combination. Just wait till no-one is around and wheel it away.

Btw - this apparently is my one hundredth post. Just sayin'.....
Yes i thought that was a bit odd too, unless its designed to be wheeled behind something in order to hide it, it looks as if the wheels only move it side to side.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
"Safe" is a concept of value solely to (a) those who have something they fear to lose and / or (b) those who fervently cling to the status quo.

a) life and b) living? :)

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Like when you're assisting a dementia patient to dress, and you pull out two items of clothing and say 'This is very smart/pretty and I've always liked you in this!' so they can choose.
That's nice.

I used to take a friend's son out with me when I was "on the road" with my job and he was excluded from school. Lovely lad, but he had as yet undiagnosed Asperger's, and limited reading skills, which caused all sorts of problems for him. (He's now a fine young man who does a lot of good in his community.)

I would take him to a roadside restaurant at lunch time, show him the menu and say (for example) "Would you like sausage, egg and chips or vegetarian lasagne?"

Bingo! He chose sausage egg and chips, without having to go through all the options of beans, tomatoes, omelette, etc.

Next day, I would suggest something else nice "or" something I knew he would instinctively reject. Result: quick and easy decisions and a reasonably varied diet.

Years later, his mum confessed she had never understood how I'd had the patience to wait for him to consider every item on the menu day in and day out!

On a related note, I am reminded of Bluebottle from the Goon Show trying to assist Eccles in his choice of sweet treats:

"Do you want this one BIG one, or these TWO small ones?"

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to take a friend's son out with me when I was "on the road" with my job and he was excluded from school. Lovely lad, but he had as yet undiagnosed Asperger's, and limited reading skills, which caused all sorts of problems for him. (He's now a fine young man who does a lot of good in his community.)

I would take him to a roadside restaurant at lunch time, show him the menu and say (for example) "Would you like sausage, egg and chips or vegetarian lasagne?"

Bingo! He chose sausage egg and chips, without having to go through all the options of beans, tomatoes, omelette, etc.

Next day, I would suggest something else nice "or" something I knew he would instinctively reject. Result: quick and easy decisions and a reasonably varied diet.

Years later, his mum confessed she had never understood how I'd had the patience to wait for him to consider every item on the menu day in and day out!

:oldm: :oldm: :oldm:
a little kindness goes a long long way

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I'm starting to get irritated by the word "veggies". I saw a TV commercial yesterday... that used the word every three seconds.

It's kind of cute when you use it with kids... but habitually avoiding the proper word "vegetables" just makes someone sound like a juvenile idiot to me.

But veggies are yummy and good for your tum-tum.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
"We have a search warrant...".

Happy days in a hippie flat in Glasgow... 1970s.

I remember the classic Led Zeppelin bootleg, 'Blueberry Hill' was playing and we had just bought it from the bootleg rack in Branson's new Virigin Records shop.

Ha! The irony!

No hash was found (herion was mercifully looked upon as an absolute abomination in those days).

That was essentially because we had ran out and 'Moonbeam' wasn't due back until later.

I recall 'Astral', our resident matriarch, kindly offering the seven officers who turned up, 'would you like some Ginseng tea'?

Far from funny, even now and especially that collosal alsatian which had just been purchased from Satan himself.

'Peace and Love' was not in its snarling vocabulary.

I still shudder even thinking about that beast and would almost swear it had glowing red eyes.

That's the one phrase I do not miss...

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Can now add to 'curate' with 'assemble'. People no longer put things on shelves, they 'curate an assembly of items'. Like living in the British Museum, I would imagine.

Frideswide

Staff member
Reaction score
Can now add to 'curate' with 'assemble'. People no longer put things on shelves, they 'curate an assembly of items'. Like living in the British Museum, I would imagine.

Archaeologists have curated things for yonks! it's sort of an in-joke and it bugs me no end to hear it used by other groups :rollingw:

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
Colorway is pretentious for color. It seems to be gaining wider use. I had hoped it would stay within the hipster realm and the industries that service the twats, but no, it's being taken up by normal people. Of course it had a specific meaning in the fashion industry before being "curated" by people who buy $9 cups of foo-foo coffee based beverages and complain about the slow wifi at the shop.

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Reaction score
I like the fact that ain't has at least as good a pedigree as the things the nuns used to force us to use instead, on pain of a rap on the knuckles with that nasty ruler.
My brother got that - with a metal ruler - in an ordinary CofE primary school for using his left hand to write with. He ended up ambidextrous.
It's kind of cute when you use it with kids, and it's not necessarily a problem in isolation, but habitually avoiding the proper word "vegetables" just makes someone sound like a juvenile idiot to me.
This is exactly the way that the word 'jab' has become common usage in serious news programmes. "The government has announced more jabs this week ..." and "We have been directed by the NHS to get more jabs."
Heh. Out today, in the blistering sun - not a cloud in the sky - at about 1 pm. Three old blokes sitting on a bench facing the Sun: "Y'know - is it me or is the Sun getting hotter today?" No, mate. The Sun is the same - you are getting hotter by sitting out in it!
Colorway is pretentious for color.
In the fashion/fabric industry, colourway is a definite "thing" and not pretentious at all. I used to work for Liberty's of Regent Street.
Still, it depends not on the word but how it's used.

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
My brother got that - with a metal ruler - in an ordinary CofE primary school for using his left hand to write with. He ended up ambidextrous.

This is exactly the way that the word 'jab' has become common usage in serious news programmes. "The government has announced more jabs this week ..." and "We have been directed by the NHS to get more jabs."

Heh. Out today, in the blistering sun - not a cloud in the sky - at about 1 pm. Three old blokes sitting on a bench facing the Sun: "Y'know - is it me or is the Sun getting hotter today?" No, mate. The Sun is the same - you are getting hotter by sitting out in it!

In the fashion/fabric industry, colourway is a definite "thing" and not pretentious at all. I used to work for Liberty's of Regent Street.
Still, it depends not on the word but how it's used.
Oh Liberty’s! Goes all misty-eyed and pictures Tibetan tiger rugs.......

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
People who never went to a Catholic school tend to think the Penguin character in The Blues Brothers is a wild exaggeration. Other than the levitation bit, it was pretty much spot on. I thought I was going to pee my pants laughing when I first saw that scene.

Some of my ancestors told me the nuns I encountered were all warm and fuzzy compared to the ones they dealt with, back in the days of the Latin Mass and long before that namby-pamby Vatican II. I can only shudder at the thought.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Archaeologists have curated things for yonks! it's sort of an in-joke and it bugs me no end to hear it used by other groups :rollingw:
Well quite. It's one thing when a word is used with its correct meaning by people who need to use it - and quite another when used to describe an Instagram 'designer' and their four bedroomed terrace in Wolverhampton.

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

What do curates do?

A curate is a person in the church whose responsibility it is to care for people's souls, and has various parish duties.

A curator is someone whose responsibility it is to take care of something such as a collection of antiquities, or an old building. Curate is a legitimate verb for the activities a curator performs.

In all cases, the important thing is the responsibility for the care of something. From the Latin cura meaning care.

Assembling a collection is not curating it. Having responsibility for storing, maintaining, cataloguing, presenting, and adding to a collection is curating it.

However, word-creep and irony tend to broaden meanings. The use of technical-sounding words either for humorous effect or just to sound clever is common. If you have a collection of items on a shelf and you sometimes rearrange them and you dust them now and again, you might say you are "curating" your collection.

Similar examples:
  • In cricket, when a captain wins the toss and decides to put the opposition in to bat first, commentators say they have inserted the opposition.
  • In an exchange of legal letters, a solicitor who means, "I will get back in touch" (or respond, reply, etc.) tends to write, "I will revert..." (The very worst sort of solicitor writes, "I will revert back..."
  • In a recent test match, a batsman had scored substantially more runs than the rest of his team put together and had thus "provided the backbone of the innings." One commentator expressed this as, "He has rendered the innings a vertebrate."

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
May have been mentioned before, but I detest the phrase "price point", ie "it's too expensive at that price point". Another phrase seemingly adopted by interviewees answering a question "So, going forward in the future....." makes me switch off to their answer.

Inane question every interviewer asks "how do you feel?" and leading question "how important is it....?".

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score

Sad really that his mum had no idea how to deal with these simple issues. Ms PeteS has considerable experience of looking after those with dementia, aspergers and similar, and she is constantly amazed how relatives and professionals alike are unable to come up with simple solutions to some of their difficulties. Well done Mike.

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Sad really that his mum had no idea how to deal with these simple issues. Ms PeteS has considerable experience of looking after those with dementia, aspergers and similar, and she is constantly amazed how relatives and professionals alike are unable to come up with simple solutions to some of their difficulties. Well done Mike.
I see and understand your point, but the lad's mum is one of the best and most patient mothers I have ever had the privilege to know. All 5 kids are now grown up and it's now ancient history.

Her approach was to treat all of her kids the same. The lad with Asperger's would get the same choice as the others (and the others would learn patience and tolerance). I had the advantage of only having the one lad with me so I was able to benignly manipulate the situation without affecting anyone else.

(I do not want to further discuss the family life of my very dear friend who is not part of the Fortean community. I would be grateful if we could move on. Thank you.)