Words & Phrases You Never Want To Hear Again

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Yup, it's all about politeness. If I'm on the phone to a call centre and feeling wound up (as one does) I always say 'I'm sorry if I'm coming across as angry with you. It's not your fault and I'm not upset with you, I'm just really frustrated and fed up about my dishwasher exploding and burning the house down (or whatever).'
I've a two stage approach. Given I have tinnitus it is necessary for me to have people enunciate slowly and clearly if they are trying to talk to me on the phone. First I ask them to do that, explaining my problem. Then, when they fail to do it - and I don't mean to be racist, but it usually someone whose English is concealed behind a heavy accent - I simply say 'I can't understand a word you are saying. If what you are trying to tell me is important please send me a letter. You know my phone number, you can easily obtain my address".

I NEVER get a letter.

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I've a two stage approach. Given I have tinnitus it is necessary for me to have people enunciate slowly and clearly if they are trying to talk to me on the phone. First I ask them to do that, explaining my problem. Then, when they fail to do it - and I don't mean to be racist, but it usually someone whose English is concealed behind a heavy accent - I simply say 'I can't understand a word you are saying. If what you are trying to tell me is important please send me a letter. You know my phone number, you can easily obtain my address".

I NEVER get a letter.
0_Rab-C-Nesbitt.jpg

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Headlines:

"We really need to talk about [trivial/niche subject that 99.9% of us could get along just fine without ever considering]."

"We really need to talk about [subject far too many people have recently written about, and of which we are all heartily sick]."

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Headlines:

"We really need to get angry about [trivial/niche subject that 99.9% of us could get along just fine without ever considering]."

"We really need to get angry about [subject far too many people have recently written about, and of which we are all heartily sick]."

FIFY.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
That cofficionado ad is back on. It's his mum I feel sorry for, she probably had the neighbours round for his first TV appearance. He needs his hair washed and cut, some interraction between his face and a razor and Wardrobe obviously bought his outfit from a Charity shop back in the 1970s. Add an irritating nonsensical voice-over and although she put on a brave proud Mum face, deep down she was crying.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
That cofficionado ad is back on. It's his mum I feel sorry for, she probably had the neighbours round for his first TV appearance. He needs his hair washed and cut, some interraction between his face and a razor and Wardrobe obviously bought his outfit from a Charity shop back in the 1970s. Add an irritating nonsensical voice-over and although she put on a brave proud Mum face, deep down she was crying.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but it sounds like a modern tragedy.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm not interested in ads after about 1987.

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Getting irritated by the over use of the word "obsessed" at the moment. Claudia Winkelman claims to be obsessed with EVERYTHING, and a baking website I read is forever saying "I'm obsessed with this at the moment." No you're not, you're making it many times to perfect the recipe (and the pictures) to publish it online. Being obsessed with something doesn't change from week to week, IMO!

Phew - got that off my chest!

Eponastill

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was just watching the hairy bikers and mine is TRAYBAKE.
I never want to hear this again. It's roast vegetables in a tin. They weren't even baked, they were roast. In a tin. We never used to need this word when we made flapjacks in a tin in the oven did we. They were just stuck in the oven and they came out flapjacks. I've gone my whole life not having to invent such a word and I do not want to use it or hear it now.

I don't know why this irritates me so much but it does.
Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Getting irritated by the over use of the word "obsessed" at the moment. Claudia Winkelman claims to be obsessed with EVERYTHING, and a baking website I read is forever saying "I'm obsessed with this at the moment." No you're not, you're making it many times to perfect the recipe (and the pictures) to publish it online. Being obsessed with something doesn't change from week to week, IMO!

Phew - got that off my chest!
Members of the Board explain for your pleasure.

(Dammit, didn't know it's age-restricted.
Aerosmith's Pink.)

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Prayer Warriors - big with the antivaxxers when their family member is intubated and on a vent.

https://praywithconfidence.com/characteristics-of-a-prayer-warrior/

Duties of A Prayer Warrior

1. Study the Bible – to pray in agreement with God’s words, we must first know His words. Studying the Bible is a key piece of that.
  2. Make time to listen to God – this is a piece of prayer that is often overlooked. As prayer warriors, we should become familiar with God’s voice so that we can hear his instruction and [COLOR=var(--global-palette-highlight)]follow his lead for specific prayer assignments.
  3. https://lotanner.com/how-to-create-prayer-strategy/
  4. Be available for prayer – we can’t be so busy with life that we put time with God to the wayside. We must make time for prayer.
  5. Acknowledge who the real enemy is – prayer warriors recognize that most battles are spiritual battles first and that there is a real spiritual enemy behind them. (Ephesians 6:12)
  6. Worship through hardships – worship keeps us humble, confessing what we believe, and battling in the strength of the Lord. It is a key component to prayer especially in the midst of conflict.
  7. Speak life-giving words. (Proverbs 18:21)
  8. Rebuke(cast down or nullify) life-stealing thoughts, words, and temptations. (2 Corinthians 10:5)
  9. Put on the “Armor of God” – these are the tools that keep us thinking, acting, and speaking in alignment with what is true even when that’s not what we physically see. (Ephesians chapter 6).

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Ooey-gooey. It seems every TV commercial for mail-order cookware or kitchen appliances says you can make some kind of ooey-gooey dish with it. Ooey-gooey lasagna. Ooey-gooey brownies. Ooey-gooey peanut butter s'mores upsidedown cake. I don't know why they think the word is appealing. My wife thinks it has something to do with the well known distaste some have for the word "moist", which doesn't mean exactly the same thing but is close enough.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Ooey-gooey. It seems every TV commercial for mail-order cookware or kitchen appliances says you can make some kind of ooey-gooey dish with it. Ooey-gooey lasagna. Ooey-gooey brownies. Ooey-gooey peanut butter s'mores upsidedown cake. I don't know why they think the word is appealing. My wife thinks it has something to do with the well known distaste some have for the word "moist", which doesn't mean exactly the same thing but is close enough.
I think that must be a US thing, I for one have never heard that phrase, but it certainly sounds annoying.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

Note to UK advertisers: If you see fit to adopt the infantile neologism “Ooey-gooey”, l will take the chuff-chuff train, past all the moo-cows and baa-lambs, to come to your ickle-wickle office and give you a teeny-weeny shoeing.

maximus otter

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Note to UK advertisers: If you see fit to adopt the infantile neologism “Ooey-gooey”, l will take the chuff-chuff train, past all the moo-cows and baa-lambs, to come to your ickle-wickle office and give you a teeny-weeny shoeing.

maximus otter
The funny thing is that, despite this being an American phenomenon, many of the pitchmen in these types of commercials and their half-hour infomercial cousins are British. For some reason the folks who produce these think we'll relate better to Brits - or occasionally Australians or American Southerners. I guess they feel the strong accent will get our attention.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
The funny thing is that, despite this being an American phenomenon, many of the pitchmen in these types of commercials and their half-hour infomercial cousins are British. For some reason the folks who produce these think we'll relate better to Brits. I guess they feel the lack of strong accent will get our attention.
FTFY

;)

maximus otter

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
FTFY

;)

maximus otter
I do understand that everyone has an accent of some sort, but the accents involved are quite strong in their deviation from middle-of-the-road regionally non-specific American. I think the producers are specifically looking for accents not shared by the majority of the audience. There was even a series of infomercials in which the American Mike Levey would occasionally make lighthearted fun of co-host Ian Long's use of British terms.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
index.php

Chas signal engaged;
I often watch good ol Bob Ross and he doesn't say, for eg, 'that' but (to my ears) it's more of a 'yat' or even 'att'. Is that a Floridian nuance, (or maybe a general 'Southern' one?)

Attachments

• chas-282115.png
    chas-282115.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 33

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
index.php

Chas signal engaged;
I often watch good ol Bob Ross and he doesn't say, for eg, 'that' but (to my ears) it's more of a 'yat' or even 'att'. Is that a Floridian nuance, (or maybe a general 'Southern' one?)
I'm not an expert on Southern or Florida accents, but I think what you're describing is a fairly general American habit (epitomized by phrases like "attaboy!") and Ross' gentle way of speaking.