Workshop / Workplace Accidents & Safety

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
This PIF scared me as a little kid:

So I have never used matchsticks instead of a plug to this day. Seriously, was this a problem?!
I guess someone must have done it for them to make a video.

I used to work on live 110v twisting bare wires together but would never try it on anything higher. Got a shock off a 440v transformer once but luckily it wasn't pulling a load so no amps, scared the shit outta me though.

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Reaction score
I just remembered this training video

I started watching klaus and it reminded me of someone I worked with when I was 19 years old, he got on the forks of a forklift to be lifted up onto a truck, he gripped the mast and as it went up the lift chains took his fingers off. Also at a scrapyard I used to use, they were unloading a scrap forklift from a low loader when the forks dug in the ground, so someone cut off the forks with a gas axe, but unknown to him it had no tilt rams, the mast pivoted over and took both his legs off.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Wow didn't know that, I'm sure the report said they broke up. Damn, that must be really awkward for family.
I thought I'd read that the couple had married but all I can find to back this up is a Daily Mirror item - 'My son-in-law burnt my husband to death in an oven - but I forgive him'

Pearl, 57, told the Mirror: "We do not blame Mark at all. Him and my daughter are still together.
"I blame Pyranha Mouldings Ltd for what happened. It’s still a huge shock."
How very magnanimous of her to forgive him. Not sure I could, even though he was not responsible.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The most painful workplace accident I had was when I worked as a tyre and exhaust fitter when I was 17 years old. I had to fit a complete exhaust to I forget what, and could see from under the car on the ramp that the manifold bolts looked a bit mankey, so I started heating one of the nuts up to red hot with the gas axe ( oxy/acetelyn , also known as the red and blue spanner, master key etc ), what I had thought was a steel nut was in fact brass, and brass, when hot enough kind of explodes, a large piece of molten brass dropped onto my chest and burnt through my T shirt, rolled down my chest and stopped at my belt line, so as it was burning and hurting I breathed in, which meant it dropped onto and burnt into the end of my dick, I ran across the workshop floor to the toilets, got him under some running water and picked the now solid bit of brass out. I still have the scar to this day. This would have made an unusual HSE training film.
YYYYAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

That is all.

tuco

Reaction score
I guess someone must have done it for them to make a video.

I used to work on live 110v twisting bare wires together but would never try it on anything higher. Got a shock off a 440v transformer once but luckily it wasn't pulling a load so no amps, scared the shit outta me though.
I once had a partial jolt off three phase ( one of the phase's anyway ), while holding a big bunch of keys, the keys touched a phase then luckily earthed through a metal box, big flash and green smoke where some of the keys vaporized, I was very lucky, got away with just a small burn. I've had a few 240v shocks nothing serious, I used to have a job repairing welders and found it's common for mig welders with a 13a plug to have the fuse replaced with a welding tip ( or 100 000 amp fuse as we called it ).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Here's one of my favourite railway safety stories. It's from b3ta not Reddit so while I can't vouch for anyone concerned, it's not a tall tale.

Before they let anyone loose on the rail track you have to be in possesion of a PTS basically a certificate to say you have undergone track safety training.

Ths basically consisted of the do's and don'ts of rail safety punctuated by industry produced videos (ranging from the unintentionally comical to nightmare inducingly scary) and graphic photographs of accident damage.

As this was a requirement of all employees of the large firm i worked for we had an in house training officer, a large fellow with a false arm who walked with a bad limp.
He was an ideal choice for safety officer as he served as a walking example to us all.

When walking track side you are supposed to walk on the bank side of the rails towards oncoming traffic and when a train driver comes towards you he will blow his horn to warn you. You are then supposed to acknowledge that you have heard it by raising your right arm.

The safety officer got his false arm and his limp by walking on the opposite side of the tracks. It was a windy day and an oncoming train blew his horn. The officer raised his arm to acknowledge it just in time for the arm to be hit by the train coming behind him.

The impact took the arm clean off at the elbow (It was found about 200 yards down the track) and drove a squash ball sized piece of stone up through his boots and foot into his ankle smashing it to bits.

He wasnt bitter about it and it did more to reinforce track safety than any video ever could

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My youngest, Escette, works in the metal-testing industry. She has shared some gruesome tales which I will dig out for Board delectation.

The most recent was about an experienced, well-trained tester who managed to insert his hand into a high-pressure press. Escette is a first aider and although she was not first on the scene she assisted and was able to ring 999 and organise the ambulance.

As in, 'Has the entire hand been struck?' 'Yes.' 'How is the bleeding?' 'There's not much.' 'That will be because the blood vessels have been crushed closed. Can you see any fingers?' etc.

Edit - forgot to mention that although Escette was not present at the accident she did see it later on the CCTV recording. She said the guy stuck his hand under the press to pick something up and about a second later when it was crushed he yanked it back and stared at it, or what was left of it. Like when a girl admires her engagement ring. Only there was no ring. Or finger.

Last edited:

tuco

Reaction score
My friend Jim knows knows an old chap who had a lawn mower repair business, he had been repairing them for over 30 years with no problem when one day he lifted the front of one while it was running and cut off the fingers on one hand, he has no idea why he did it, just a lapse of concentration.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The scalp thing... *shivers*... me mam worked in a factory... the job she did escapes me now... but years later she used to tell us that women who worked there could be 'scalped' (I think she knew someone it happened to)... :( must admit that for a long time I didn't really get what she meant.

Wish I could remember what job it was she did. Gosh my brain is useless at times.
One of my jobs as a young woman was in an armaments factory. It still was run exactly as in the War, with high ceilings which had massive blacked-out skylights.

All the women were required to tie up their hair in triangular blue headscarves, no exceptions. We looked like washerwomen! Nobody had any scalps ripped off though.

However, there was a fatality when I worked there. There was a testing department where bullets would be passed through a calibre-measuring device.
It was like a tube, which was worked with on a bench, at chest height, pointing towards the operator, and it was old and often jammed, so the practice was to poke at the bullet from behind with a pen...

Considering the level of security in the place and how we'd all signed the Official Secrets Act (to which I am still subject, ooer) it's slightly surprising how fast the news travelled across the site and to the outside world. The place was in rumpus.

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
One of my jobs as a young woman was in an armaments factory. It still was run exactly as in the War, with high ceilings which had massive blacked-out skylights.

All the women were required to tie up their hair in triangular blue headscarves, no exceptions. We looked like washerwomen! Nobody had any scalps ripped off though.

However, there was a fatality when I worked there. There was a testing department where bullets would be passed through a calibre-measuring device.
It was like a tube, which was worked with on a bench, at chest height, pointing towards the operator, and it was old and often jammed, so the practice was to poke at the bullet from behind with a pen...

Considering the level of security in the place and how we'd all signed the Official Secrets Act (to which I am still subject, ooer) it's slightly surprising how fast the news travelled across the site and to the outside world. The place was in rumpus.
I have a pic somewhere of a lad's hand after he used a live .50 bmg round as a hammer the close the belt cover on a .50 cal Browning machine-gun. It's basically just skin.

My father was a collector and dealer in militaria and me and my brother were allowed to keep the loose rounds that came with job lots. I still have a metal box full of them and my ex's son was clearing out a shed. I told him not to shake the tin and when I came home from work he said sheepishly that he remembered what I'd told him as he giving it vigorous shake! Luckily none went off. When I get a new camera I'll get it out and take some pics of them.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I have a pic somewhere of a lad's hand after he used a live .50 bmg round as a hammer the close the belt cover on a .50 cal Browning machine-gun. It's basically just skin.

My father was a collector and dealer in militaria and me and my brother were allowed to keep the loose rounds that came with job lots. I still have a metal box full of them and my ex's son was clearing out a shed. I told him not to shake the tin and when I came home from work he said sheepishly that he remembered what I'd told him as he giving it vigorous shake! Luckily none went off. When I get a new camera I'll get it out and take some pics of them.
Oh I'd LOVED to see those pics!
My soldier son gave me a bullet which I still have somewhere. It used to be on a shelf over my bed. He told me not to knock it off there or drop it!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
...my brother were allowed to keep the loose rounds that came with job lots. I still have a metal box full of them...
:dsist:

Requirement of firearm certificate.

...it is an offence for a person

(b) to have in his possession, or to purchase or acquire, any ammunition to which this section applies without holding a firearm certificate in force at the time

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/1

Table of Punishments for Firearms Offences

Section 1(1)

General nature of offence: Possessing etc. firearm or ammunition without certificate.

Mode of Trial: Triable Either Way.

Punishment: (a) Summary 6 months or a fine of the prescribed sum; or both. (b) On indictment (i) Where the offence is committed in an aggravated form within the meaning of section 4(4) of this Act, 7 years, or a fine; or both. [Applies to Scotland only.] (ii) In any other case, 5 years or a fine; or both.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/firearms

maximus otter

Reactions: Tin

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
:dsist:

Requirement of firearm certificate.

...it is an offence for a person

(b) to have in his possession, or to purchase or acquire, any ammunition to which this section applies without holding a firearm certificate in force at the time

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/1

Table of Punishments for Firearms Offences

Section 1(1)

General nature of offence: Possessing etc. firearm or ammunition without certificate.

Mode of Trial: Triable Either Way.

Punishment: (a) Summary 6 months or a fine of the prescribed sum; or both. (b) On indictment (i) Where the offence is committed in an aggravated form within the meaning of section 4(4) of this Act, 7 years, or a fine; or both. [Applies to Scotland only.] (ii) In any other case, 5 years or a fine; or both.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/firearms

maximus otter
Thanks although I'm well aware of the laws - I own quite a few firearms. I shall take pics of those too as I think you'd be very interested in some of them Max.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Thanks although I'm well aware of the laws - I own quite a few firearms. I shall take pics of those too as I think you'd be very interested in some of them Max.
But are all of the calibres of ammo you possess listed on your FAC as OK to own?

I have several rifles, but if I have as much as one cartridge in a calibre not specified on my FAC, e.g. .303, I commit the complete offence.

maximus otter

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
But are all of the calibres of ammo you possess listed on your FAC as OK to own?

I have several rifles, but if I have as much as one cartridge in a calibre not specified on my FAC, e.g. .303, I commit the complete offence.

maximus otter
I admit they're not but I'm happy to keep them.

tuco

Reaction score
Good job you are wearing a mask, nobody knows what you look like.

Reactions: Tin

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A work colleague has no ring finger. He used to have one, with a wedding ring on it, until he reached up to put something on a high shelf. As he pulled his hand back down the ring caught on a protruding screw and he wobbled on whatever he was standing on and fell. His whole weight was dangling by the ring. The skin was ripped off, taking the skin with it, and the finger couldn't be saved.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Techy tells people off if they stick their elbow out of a car window and hold the top of it with their fingers. His mate was doing that in a car that rolled and his fingers were scraped off.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Techy tells people off if they stick their elbow out of a car window and hold the top of it with their fingers. His mate was doing that in a car that rolled and his fingers were scraped off.
When I was a teenager one of my mates was in a car that rolled, he had his hand out of the window. They had to do that thing where they sew your hand inside your hip while it heals. He lost a few fingers.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score

*catches up with all posts on the thread*

Why, oh why do I subject myself to this? I should stop reading.

Anyway, just wanted to say I had more of a thought about me mam's job and I think it was summat to do with looms... perhaps?

What I do know is it was one of those places where everybody had the same holiday and they all headed off to Blackpool for a week :D

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
We had a heroin addict try to nick a chicken. He was chased by security staff into the back yard of the store. He tried to climb the metal fence with spikes on the top. He slipped and the fence ripped a finger right off, bone and all.

He had the nerve to go to a solicitor to see if he could sue. The solicitor apparently laughed him out of his office.

Ascalon

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
In a former life as a spanner monkey on big birds, I was berating a trainee for the piss poor job he had done, securing the cable on a spring loaded cargo door system.

As I pointed to it and told him I could verbally persuade it to become undone, the clamp let go. The angle mount on the end of the cable made a whip like whistle as it arced through the air. As I transitioned into the 'I told you so' portion of the speech, he started looking pale.

He mumbled and pointed at my left index finger.

It had been severed to the bone between the first and second knuckle.

Got many stitches, but luckily, no tendons where cut.

Got two weeks off for recovery, only marred by the fact that my girlfriend got upset when I took out the stitches myself with her nail clippers.