• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Plant Species Extinctions

A

Anonymous

World Plants Near Extinction Close to 50 Pct.-Study
Thu Oct 31, 2:21 PM ET
By Christopher Doering

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The percentage of the world's plants threatened with extinction is much larger than commonly believed, and could be as high as 47 percent if tropical species are included, researchers said on Thursday

The study, published in the November issue of Science, challenges earlier research that estimated the number of species in danger of extinction was about 13 percent.

Previous studies of extinct plants underestimated the numbers because they failed to include many plants growing in tropical countries such as Ecuador and Colombia.

Plants are becoming extinct for many reasons, including global warming (news - web sites) and human encroachment into area habitats, said Peter Jorgensen, a researcher at the Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis who coauthored the new study.

For example, scientists discovered a single collection of the passion flower, a light purple flower found only in southern Ecuador, during the 1970s, Jorgensen said. But recent trips to the region have found the species has since disappeared.

Jorgensen reviewed data from 189 countries and territories and determined that between 310,000 and 422,000 plants -- or 22 to 47 percent -- could be threatened.

In previous studies "if you can't evaluate a species you basically don't include it," Jorgensen said in a telephone interview.

"Still, we don't know enough ... to go out and do something active on the ground to save them," he said. "Just because there are more of them doesn't mean it's easier."

Identifying threatened species is a crucial step toward developing better management plans to protect them, but Jorgensen conceded it will take a large amount of money to develop such projects.

Maintaining a global database of threatened plants would cost an estimated $12.1 million annually, the researchers said.

The vast majority of plants that are threatened in tropical areas are those located with a wide variety of plant life or where habitat loss is rapidly occurring.

As a model for their research, Jorgensen and his coauthor, Nigel Pitman from Duke University, analyzed more than 4,000 species that are native to Ecuador.

After sifting through data and determining those that could be on the verge of extinction -- such as plants with small populations or which are located only in a small geographical area -- they determined that 83 percent of all plants in the country are threatened.

The findings for Ecuador are important, Jorgensen said, because the country has one of the most complete databases of plant species. Such results also can be applied to neighboring countries such as Peru and Colombia where data are scarce.

"We know so little about plants in tropical regions," said Jorgensen. "And what really bothers me is we have to guess so much because we don't have enough manpower to go through all the countries."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...&e=2&u=/nm/20021031/sc_nm/science_plants_dc_1

sakina

It makes me sick!!

I could name and identify any plant (minus a few grasses and mosses) from Scotland but I have always known that my lands plants are a mere fraction of those to be found elsewhere.

I have not finished learning about them.

Playing devils advocate here, but does it really matter, I mean will there be any adverse effects on future civilisations?

32 Orchid Species Feared Extinct in Bangladesh

And they’re not the only ones in trouble — orchid species around the world face increasing threats from illegal trade and habitat destruction.

Source: The Revelator
Date: 27 January, 2020

More than 200 years ago, the Scottish botanist William Roxburgh published Hortus Bengalensis, a thick book cataloging hundreds of medicinal plants collected at the East India Company’s botanical gardens in Calcutta.

Among the hundreds of plants appearing in the book’s pages was an orchid originally collected in the Chittagong region of what is now Bangladesh. Identified at the time as Cymbidium alatum, the orchid now goes by the taxonomic name Theocostele alata.

You can’t find the species in Bangladesh anymore, though. No one has officially observed Theocostele alata there since Roxburgh made note of it in 1814.

And it’s not alone. According to research published this month in the International Journal of Ecology and Environmental Sciences, Theocostele alata is one of 32 orchid species native to Bangladesh that no longer appear within its borders.

https://therevelator.org/orchids-extinct-bangladesh/

No one has officially observed Theocostele alata there since Roxburgh made note of it in 1814.

I am not sure its extinction, or actually its existance can be reliably inferred from that. There are also bird species that have only ever been seen once by their discoverer and are probably more likely to have been a juvenile of something already described. I also wonder if botanists would put in a sort of trick species to see who was using their work, a bit like map makers would add in extra islands. It could be different for plants of course.

Last edited:
I am not sure its extinction, or actually its existance can be reliably inferred from that. There are also bird species that have only ever been seen once by their discoverer and are probably more likely to have been a juvenile of something already described. I also wonder if botanists would put in a sort of trick species to see who was using their work, a bit like map makers would add in extra islands. It could be different for plants of course.
For a plant species to be recognised as a valid species at time of publication there has to be a type specimen nominated and lodged somewhere where others can examine it. So if this species was validly named and published then at one time there must have been a type specimen lodged somewhere.
I’ve never come across trap species, I think the difference is generally you would want other people to use / reference your work. The only forms of plagiarism I have come across are wholesale copying of papers, usually ones published in small journals and in different languages. They are then translated and published by a naughty person.

Having just done a bit of reading on Theocostele alata it seems it is locally extinct in Bangladesh, so it is known from other areas. It could have been rare to start with and quite frankly no one bothered to look for it until the current researchers by which time it had become extinct there.
In this instance I think there is no reason to doubt the work of Roxburgh

A rare flowering of an endangered orchid.

A species of endangered orchid has flowered in the UK for the first time.

Dendrophylax lindenii, known as the Florida Ghost Orchid in the US and Cuba, has blossomed at the Royal Botanic Gardens, in Kew, south-west London. It was flown into the UK from Chicago two weeks ago, with the bud displayed at Chelsea Flower Show.

Prof Mike Fay, senior research leader at RBG Kew, called the UK flowering a "positive conservation story".

While awaiting Thursday's bloom, he said: "This is a wonderful example of a successful collaborative conservation project, with several universities and botanic gardens in the USA working together for the greater good, highlighting the importance of orchid conservation around the world."

There are only about 1,500 ghost orchid plants left in south Florida and 500 in Cuba, Professor Fay said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-65767550

Back