World Records (General; Miscellaneous)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Found this impressive clip from the world of competitive flatulence.

I love how proud he looks when he says he's been practicing all his life in parking lots with friends.
My brother and his colleagues would practice shave and a haircut belches. Those long railway shifts just flew by.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This is fairly bonkers-

Dario Costa set a new Guinness World Record when he piloted a small aircraft through a set of narrow tunnels in Turkey.

Not content with smashing one record, the 41-year-old aviator chose a tunnel split into two sections.

He said: ‘I’d never flown in a tunnel in my life – nobody had ever done it – so there was a big question mark in my head whether everything would go as we expected.

Mr Costa had to keep the plane hovering just above the road to make sure he didn’t clip the concrete walls and crash to an almost certain death.

When inside the tunnel, there was only about four meters between the tip of each wing and the concrete walls.

The most dangerous part came when he briefly emerged into the open air gap between the tunnels and his aircraft was battered by crosswinds.

The stunt set at least five records, with the pilot also becoming the first to take off inside a tunnel and the longest and fastest flights in a tunnel.

He said: ‘Everything seemed to be happening so fast, but when I got out of the first tunnel, the plane started to move to the right because of the crosswinds and in my head, everything slowed down in that moment.

‘I reacted and just focused on getting the plane back on the right path to enter the other tunnel. Then in my mind, everything sped up all over again.’

A team of 40 support staff were involved in the flight, which covered 2.26km in less than 44 seconds.

I’m not sure what’s going on at 46 secs on the video - the camera at this point appears not to be attached to the plane.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Golden retriever enters record books for most tennis balls in his mouth

Golden retriever Finley made his parents very proud after breaking the world record for holding the most tennis balls in his mouth at once.
The seven-year-old superstar managed to fit and hold an astonishing six balls between his teeth.

The adorable winner, who lives with his family in Ontario, Canada, started picking up multiple tennis balls on his own when he was about two-years-old.

In the following years, he worked his way up to five, and then to six.

Finley’s title was previously held by another golden retriever called Augie, whose record of five tennis balls stood for 17 years.
1633599681982.png

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems Guinness hadn't established guidelines, much less awarded any record, for individual pub crawls. This UK man has now submitted the evidence to be recognized as the first record holder for most pubs visited (with minimum drink requirement at each pub) in a 24-hour span.
British man visits 51 pubs in 24 hours for Guinness World Record

A British man's pub crawl may have set a new Guinness World Record when he visited 51 bars in 24 hours.

Matt Ellis of St. Neots, Cambridgeshire, England, said Guinness officials told him there is currently no world record for most pubs visited in 12 hours by an individual, so the record-keeping agency set the goal to originate the record at 50. ...

Ellis said he was required to have witnesses with him at each stop and consume at least 4.2 ounces of any beverage at each establishment.

The pub fan said he visited a total 51 businesses in 8 hours, 52 minutes and 37 seconds.

Evidence from Ellis' pub crawl has been submitted to Guinness World Records for official certification.
FULL STORY:
https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/1...ours-for-Guinness-World-Record/9541633983316/

For More Details - See Also:
24-hour pub crawl: St Neots man 'sets new world record'
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-58861985

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Do they award records for alcoholism?

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
A Canadian man has been recognized by the Guinness folks as having the largest collection of soft drink cans for a single brand (Coca-Cola).
Canadian Coke fan collects 11,308 different cans for Guinness World Record

A Canadian Coca-Cola fan earned a spot in the Guinness Book of World Records by collecting 11,308 different cans issued by the soft drink company.

Gary Feng was named the Guinness World Record holder for the largest collection of soft drink cans (same brand) when his collection was tallied and verified to be more extensive than the previous record-holder, Italian man Davide Andreani, whose collection includes 10,558 different Coke cans. ...

Feng's collection includes a 1955 can that was one of the first to be produced by the company, as well as commemorative cans from multiple decades of Olympic Games -- including an ultra-rare can designed for the 2016 Chicago Olympics, which never took place due to Rio de Janeiro winning the bid to host.

The collection also features cans that were specially designed for drinking in zero gravity for the 1985 Challenger space shuttle mission and a 1991 expedition to the Russian space station Mir. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/1...cords-Coca-Cola-can-collection/1151634069062/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Guinness has certified this massive item as the world's largest pocket knife. It's not just a sculpture. Guinness' rules require that the knife be fully functional.

Guinness-LargestKnife.jpg
Kentucky store earns Guinness record for world's largest pocket knife

A 34-foot, 6-inch folding knife created in Kentucky was certified by Guinness World Records as the world's largest pocket knife.

The knife, installed outside Red Hill Cutlery in Radcliff, the home of the Kentucky Museum of American Pocket Knives, was confirmed as the world's largest pocket knife by Guinness, and a ceremony was held Wednesday to commemorate the achievement. ...

Jason Basham, co-owner of Red Hill Cutlery and the mastermind behind the record attempt, said the hope is that the world's largest pocket knife will serve as a tourist attraction for the museum and the town.

Red Hill Cutlery said the blade alone weighs about 1,500 pounds.

Guinness World Records said the rules required that the folding knife be fully functional. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/10/14/Guinness-World-Records-largest-pocket-knife/4941634231454/

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

oxo66

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Guinness has certified this massive item as the world's largest pocket knife. It's not just a sculpture. Guinness' rules require that the knife be fully functional.

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/10/14/Guinness-World-Records-largest-pocket-knife/4941634231454/

Up until the mid 1990s they didn't list the largest knife, they listed the one with the most blades.
Which was the famous(?) Year Knife, manufactured by Joseph Rodgers in 1822 including 1822 blades. This article is very positive about its years when it was owned by Stanley, but GBR listed it as having 1973 blades into the 1990s saying they had run out of space to add any more. They obviously found space when they did the major refurbishment and renaming as the Stanley Millennium Year Knife.