• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

World Records (Miscellaneous)

Guinness has certified this champagne glass pyramid erected in Dubai as the largest ever.

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...lass-pyramid-Atlantis-The-Palm/9441641406971/
I wondered how many layers that is. 54,740 corresponds to a triangular-based pyramid 68 glasses wide and high.

seems these people have cornered the market for this particular record-breaking activity:
https://luukbroosevents.com/champagnepiramide-recordhouder-in-het-guiness-book-of-records/

oxo

Last edited:
Found this impressive clip from the world of competitive flatulence.

I love how proud he looks when he says he's been practicing all his life in parking lots with friends.
Only by learning the eye of the dragonfly technique can he hope to become true master level ..

In case you've wondered ...

The Guinness-recognized record for tallest rideable unicycle has just been broken. The new record height is 29.8 feet.
Circus performer's 29.8-foot unicycle breaks world record

... Pavel Valla Bertini, a fifth-generation circus performer from the Czech Republic, was participating in the 14th International Circus Festival in Budapest when he rode around the ring on a unicycle that consisted of 17 wheels stacked vertically for a total height of 29.8 feet.

Bertini rode his unicycle for a distance of 66.6 feet around the Budapest Circus ring.

Bertini took the Guinness World Record for tallest rideable unicycle from U.S. circus performer Wesley Williams, who rode a 29.1-foot-tall unicycle in February 2020.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...ords-tallest-rideable-unicycle/3141641925080/

In case you've wondered ...

The Guinness-recognized record for tallest rideable unicycle has just been broken. The new record height is 29.8 feet.

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...ords-tallest-rideable-unicycle/3141641925080/

My initial, curmudgeonly, response was 'is that all?' because the daredevil Steve McPeak famously rode a 101' 9" unicycle in Las Vegas in 1980. This was listed in the book for years despite claims that his balance was aided by the safety wire.
So, of course, I checked and GWR list dozens of unicycle records, including tallest rideable unicycle (supported) which now stands at 115 feet, and tallest rideable (unsupported) for which the previous record was 29' 1". I'm not sure which is scarier: 100 foot up with a wire or 30 foot up without!

oxo

Guinness has now certified this man as having the most insect tattoos (864). He says he hates bugs.
"I hate bugs": Man with 864 insect tattoos breaks record

Michael Amoia (USA) has a staggering 864 insects tattooed on his body, as confirmed on 28 October 2021.

His artwork includes beetles, ants, earwigs and moths.

Some of these tattoos include:

A 13-inch moth across his throat and chest
89 ants on his left forearm and another 36 from his forearm to his bicep
23 red ants on his right posterior calf
A 2.5-inch beetle over his right eye
A 2.5-inch earwig behind his right ear

... Many would deduce that Mike enjoys entomology or simply loves the look of bugs.

However, that’s far from the truth.

"A lot of people think I like bugs – actually it’s the complete opposite. I’m afraid of bugs, I hate bugs. But is has multiple meanings, that’s why I put them all over my body." ...

He also has other creepy crawlies tattooed on his body, including spiders and two massive millipedes.

The millipede on his chest is 17 inches wide and 19 inches long, and he also has a 50-inch one on his back.
FULL STORY (WITH PHOTOS): https://www.guinnessworldrecords.co...-with-864-insect-tattoos-breaks-record-690435

A Yemeni fellow who'd held the Guinness record for vertically stacking balanced eggs (with three eggs) has broken his own record by successfully stacking four.

EggStackingRecord.jpg
Man balances four eggs atop one another to break Guinness record

A Yemen man broke his own Guinness World Record when he managed to stack four eggs atop one another without toppling.

Mohammed Muqbel, who first set the record when he stacked three eggs, beat his own record during an attempt in Istanbul, Turkey, where he managed to stack four eggs in a tower. ...

Muqbel said the feat was more difficult than it looks. ...

Muqbel said he discovered he had a talent for balancing at a young age. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/02/11/turkey-Guinness-World-Records-egg-balancing/5641644616268/

A Wisconsin teen successfully pulled and re-stacked 33 Jenga blocks in 60 seconds to break his own world record. He also set 3 other world records during the space of one week.
Speedy Jenga player breaks own world record in Wisconsin

A Wisconsin teenager broke his own Guinness World Record by removing 32 Jenga blocks and placing them on top of the tower in one minute.

Nate McEvoy, 16, of Wausau, managed to remove the blocks with a single hand and put them on top of the tower without the structure toppling in the 60-second time period. ...

McEvoy broke his own record of 25 blocks. ...

McEvoy also holds the Guinness World Records for most Lego bricks removed from a baseplate and held in the hand in 30 seconds (22), most blindfolded passes of a fidget spinner in one minute (125), most hammer flips in one minute (103) and fastest time to build a 15-cup pyramid (2.55 seconds).

The teenager broke all four records, as well as his latest Jenga record, in a one-week period.

"Being a Guinness World Records title holder gives me a feeling of accomplishment. With perseverance you can accomplish all the challenges you set your mind to," he said.
FULL STORY (With Video): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...s-most-Jenga-blocks-one-minute/8261644603260/

There's a new contender awaiting certification as the world's tallest fork.
Oregon city installs 37-foot fork believed to be world's tallest

An Oregon city is seeking the Guinness World Record for the tallest fork after installing a 37-foot-tall utensil outside a new food cart plaza.

The city of Fairview said the 37-foot fork, installed Tuesday outside the soon-to-open Fairview Food Plaza, is believed to be the tallest in the world, and officials will seek confirmation of the designation from Guinness World Records. ...

The current record holder for the world's tallest fork stands at 35 feet tall in Missouri. ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...s-tallest-fork-Fairview-Oregon/3061645032180/

The (relatively) hotly-contested Guinness world record for most vertically-stacked M&Ms has been broken again.

6-M&Ms-world-record.jpg
Australian man stacks six M&M's, earns world record

A serial Guinness World Record-breaker from Australia recaptured his former record by arranging six M&M's into a vertical stack.

Brendan Kelbie, 22, previously stacked four M&M's in 2020, equaling the record originally set by Italian Silvio Sabba and making him the joint holder of the title. ...

The record was broken in June 2021, when British man Will Cutbill created a stack of five M&M's, and Rocco Mercurio of Italy became a joint holder of the record when he equaled the total the following month.

Kelbie recaptured the title by stacking six M&M's into a tower that stood for at least 10 seconds at his home in Queensland, Guinness World Records said.

"I've decided to break this record because I'm a serial record breaker, and I am a versatile world record holder," Kelbie told Guinness. ...
FULL STORY (With Video): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/02/18/australia-Guinness-World-Records-stack-MMs/5761645213989/

The newly crowned longest car in the world is the restored / renovated former record holder.

Worlds-longest-car-restored-measures-over-100-feet-long.jpg
World's longest car restored, measures over 100 feet long

A restored version of the world's longest car broke its own Guinness World Record when it was officially measured at 100 feet and 1.5 inches long.

Guinness World Records said the super limousine known as the American Dream was originally built in 1986 by car customizer Jay Ohrberg and measured 60 feet long. ...

Ohrberg later extended the vehicle to 100 feet long, capturing the Guinness World Record for the longest car.

The vehicle made numerous appearances in film before eventually ending up in a New Jersey warehouse ...

Michael Manning, owner of the Autoseum technical teaching museum in Nassau County, N.Y., decided to take on the monumental task of restoring the American Dream ...

Manning ended up listing the car on eBay, where it was purchased in 2019 by Michael Dezer, owner of the Dezerland Park Car Museum and Tourist Attractions in Orlando, Fla.

The car was shipped down to Orlando, and Manning came with it to participate in the restoration.

The restored American Dream features a helipad, a swimming pool, a hot tub, a putting green and a large waterbed.

Manning said the car will now be displayed at the Dezerland Park Car Museum. ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/03/09/Guinness-World-Records-longest-car/9131646848981/

The newly crowned longest car in the world is the restored / renovated former record holder.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/03/09/Guinness-World-Records-longest-car/9131646848981/

features a helipad, a swimming pool, a hot tub, a putting green and a large waterbed

Ha ha! What a soppy waste of time. It can’t have driven more than 3 miles in it’s entire life. I’m wondering how you’d even move it from one place to another.

Yep - it's always been a display piece. I suppose it could be interpreted as a surreal sculptural installation rather than a hyper-long motor vehicle.

... I’m wondering how you’d even move it from one place to another.

The original vehicle was built in two sections, and these sections were connected by a big hinge mechanism that required its own human operator. By locking and unlocking the hinge this metal monster could actually make turns.

When new, its 100-foot length landed it the Guinness Book of World Records spot for the longest car in the world. The Cadillac was more like a landgoing yacht than a car. Its tail housed a helipad, whose surface could be used as a putting green whenever the chopper wasn't around. It also had two engines, dozens of windows, TVs, telephones, a lounge, a water bed, a jacuzzi, and a swimming pool with a diving board. Ohrberg built the car in two sections, which are joined in the middle by a hinge (that required an operator separate from the driver) for navigating tighter corners; the hinge could also be set to a fixed position, so that the limo was rigid over its entire length. By our count, it rolled on 24 wheels and tires.
SOURCE: https://www.motortrend.com/news/the-american-dream-longest-limousine-restoration-world-record/

This Wisconsin woman is applying to Guinness to be recognized for the world's record in number of consecutive days in which a four-leaf clover is found (258). The decision must await review by an adjudicator before Guinness will establish a relevant new category.
Wisconsin woman collects one four-leaf clover a day for 258 days

A Wisconsin woman is seeking a Guinness World Record to make St. Patrick proud after she collected a four-leaf clover every day for 258 consecutive days.

Betina Reich of Eau Claire said she has had the luck o' the Irish in her hunts for four-leaf clovers since she was 10 years old, and early in the COVID-19 pandemic she started collecting one every day until she had found a clover a day for 112 straight days. ...

Reich said she decided to try to best her personal record in 2021, and ended up collecting a clover each day for 258 days -- from March 22 until the first heavy snow fell on Dec. 4.

Reich, who documented her clover hunts on TikTok, said she is now attempting to get Guinness World Records to create a new category for most consecutive days collecting a four-leaf clover.

The record-keeping agency recognizes a record for largest collection of four-leaf clovers, but would have to create a new category for Reich's accomplishment.

She said Guinness told her she would have to pay for an adjudicator to visit her home to verify the size of her collection before a new category can be created. ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...ollection-Eau-Claire-Wisconsin/9691647541487/

Here's a photo illustrating how the mega-limo was broken down into its two constituent sections for hauling between appearances and shows.

SOURCE: https://www.ststworld.com/american-dream-limo/
Realised I spent far longer that was sensible googling this, didn't reach any firm conclusion and so didn't reply.

but from what I saw, it seems likely or at least plausible that the front section of American Dream was the original 60 foot limo that Ohrberg rebuilt adding a 40 foot trailer section after he lost the world record in 1989 to a 72 footer. I wonder if the rebuilt vehicle ever moved under its own power.

... I wonder if the rebuilt vehicle ever moved under its own power.

I wondered the same thing, but I couldn't find any proof that it ever did.

There seems to be no question that Ohrberg built the original 60-foot version and the later 100-foot version to have some semblance of mobility. The later version was equipped with two engines (type unspecified), two driving positions ('cockpits' so to speak ... ), and the hinge mechanism intended to allow it some measure of ability to turn.

I haven't been able to find any video, photos, or claims in print that either version was ever driven. I *have* found claims that the American Dream was never certified as street-legal. If it ever moved under its own power it had to be at some sort of off-street venue (e.g., a large race track or huge open paved area).

My guess is that the two sections of the later version were each probably capable of limited straight-line self-powered mobility, simply to aid in loading and unloading the beast's two sections onto / off their custom carriers. I'd also hazard a guess that the whole connected 100-foot version had similarly limited mobility for the sake of finally positioning itself for static display once the sections were unloaded and connected.

Otherwise, I don't see why Ohrberg would have gone to the trouble of adding a second engine and driver position.

I wondered the same thing, but I couldn't find any proof that it ever did.

There seems to be no question that Ohrberg built the original 60-foot version and the later 100-foot version to have some semblance of mobility. The later version was equipped with two engines (type unspecified), two driving positions ('cockpits' so to speak ... ), and the hinge mechanism intended to allow it some measure of ability to turn.

I haven't been able to find any video, photos, or claims in print that either version was ever driven. I *have* found claims that the American Dream was never certified as street-legal. If it ever moved under its own power it had to be at some sort of off-street venue (e.g., a large race track or huge open paved area).

My guess is that the two sections of the later version were each probably capable of limited straight-line self-powered mobility, simply to aid in loading and unloading the beast's two sections onto / off their custom carriers. I'd also hazard a guess that the whole connected 100-foot version had similarly limited mobility for the sake of finally positioning itself for static display once the sections were unloaded and connected.

Otherwise, I don't see why Ohrberg would have gone to the trouble of adding a second engine and driver position.

The original version had two drivers but I haven't seen if it had two engines. Since the limo was based on several (three?) 1970s Cadillac Eldorados I assume engines were available from those. And I recall from Top Trumps that the Eldorado had an 8 litre engine, the largest fitted in any production car at the time.

In both the 60 and 100 foot configurations the second driver was right at the back and I'd think their main role would be to steer the rear wheels but I agree in the 100 foot version it would be useful to move the rear section independently - albeit very carefully!

I've read claims that the original version was driven, but no other evidence. The rebuilt car is shown moving in the recent Guinness World Records video

A Taiwanese company has created the Guinness-certified world's largest surgical mask.
I wonder whether they'll order some for the Statue of Liberty and Mount Rushmore ... :thought:

LargestFaceMask.jpg
World's largest face mask is 50 times larger than average

A Taiwan-based medical supply company broke a Guinness World Record by creating a massive surgical mask measuring 27 feet and 3 inches by 15 feet and 9 inches.

The Motex Healthcare Corp. unveiled the giant mask, a supersized version of its diamond-shaped face mask, Friday at the Motex Mask Creative House, an educational tourist attraction operated by the company in Changhua County. ...

A Guinness World Records adjudicator appeared at the event via video chat from London and confirmed the mask, which is 50 times larger than a standard face mask, took the record for the largest surgical mask. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...-Records-largest-surgical-mask/5771648230557/

This California father set the initial Guinness world record for fastest completion of a half-marathon while pushing his quintuplets.
Dad sets Guinness record pushing quintuplets in half-marathon

A runner in a California half-marathon set a Guinness World Record when he completed the race in 2 hours and 19 minutes -- while pushing his quintuplets in a stroller.

Chad Kempel ran the half marathon at the Oakland Marathon in Oakland on Sunday while pushing a stroller containing his five 4-year-old children. ...

"They were saying, 'Run faster dad!' and I'm just dying sweating and I'm like, 'I don't even know if I can go any farther,'" Kempel recalled to KIVI-TV. ...

Kempel finished his 13.1-mile run in 2 hours and 19 minutes, beating the goal of 2 hours and 30 minutes set by Guinness World Records.

"I'm the first person doing it, but when you're the first person to set a record, Guinness gives you a certain cut off and they gave me a cut-off of 2 hours and 30 minutes," Kempel said.

Kempel previously set Guinness World Records for running a 10k race and a full marathon while pushing the five children. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...-marathon-quintuplets-stroller/5301648235957/

Some Illinois college students have apparently set a new record for world's largest paper snowflake.
Illinois students create world's largest paper snowflake

A group of Northern Illinois University students unofficially broke a Guinness World Record by creating a massive paper snowflake ...

The advanced photography students, from NIU's School of Art and Design, folded the paper and cut it into a snowflake on Tuesday. ...

The resulting paper snowflake measured 44 feet and 6 inches, surpassing the current record of 20 feet and 1/2 inch, which was set in 2019 by Christa Hanson of Iowa.

Jessica Labatte, associate professor and head of the photography department, said it took the students about 10 hours to create the snowflake.

Evidence from the attempt is now being submitted to Guinness World Records for official verification.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...ecords-largest-paper-snowflake/3311648668675/

Vid at link.

Rhys McClenaghan: Irish gymnast breaks Russian circles world record

Irish gymnast Rhys McClenaghan has set a new world record of 42 wendeswings on the pommel horse in a minute.

The 22-year-old, who won a bronze medal in the 2019 World Championships, was set a target of 40 in his world record attempt in Newtownards this morning.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/northern-ireland/61039820

Guinness has certified the new world's largest belt buckle - a western-style buckle unveiled in Dallas.
World's largest belt buckle unveiled in Texas

A Montana-based company broke a Guinness World Record when it unveiled a giant belt buckle measuring nearly 15 feet across in Texas.

Montana Silversmiths, based in Columbus, Mont., had the belt buckle shipped to its Dallas showroom in four parts, and the pieces were then assembled into the world's largest belt buckle. ...

Guinness World Records confirmed the massive belt buckle, a replica of of the company's most popular buckles, measured 10 feet and 6 inches tall and 14 feet and 6.4 inches wide, enough to claim the record. ...
FULL STORY (With Photo): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...lt-buckle-Montana-Silversmiths/6091649702606/

Long may she run!

An endurance athlete who has been running every day for 100 days has broken the record for completing the most marathons in consecutive days.

Kate Jayden, from Derbyshire, has completed a 26.2-mile run each day since January, covering 2,620 miles. She hit the milestone as she finished the Brighton Marathon on Sunday.

The current female record is held by US runner, Alyssa Clark, who completed 95 marathons in 95 consecutive days, according to Guinness World Records.

On finishing, the 35-year-old, from Hartington, said: "I'm feeling geriatric mostly. I was just overwhelmed. I feel very privileged that I was able to take that journey and so many people have been in touch to say they have been inspired by it too."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-61067808

Matryomin ensemble set the world record for the "Largest theremin ensemble" (back in 2013)​

Back