• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hollow Earth / Inner Earth (Agartha, Etc.)

A

Anonymous

Hollow Earth theories

[Emp edit: This is the main Hollow Earth thread. See also:

Expedition into the hollow earth:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12232

Required reading:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8455

Children's Hollow Earth book:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7630 ]

----------------------

Got the following from a book about 15 years ago and have seen no reference since.Buddhist doctrine talks about a subterranean world called AGHARTA where millions live in a subtropical paradise ruled over by the King of the World who relays messages via surface humans/monks who travel secret passages that emerge in the Himalayas.
Late in the nineteenth century a Norwegian sailor called Olaf Jansen claimed that he and his father had sailed into this underworld and lived with the giants there for 2 years.He said they lived for 500 years and had the power to propel machines by drawing energy from the air.
jansens story was so ridiculed that he stopped telling it but he repeated the details to an American journalist on his deathbed.
Anyone ever heard of this?

Sounds like a variant on the Grand Masters of Tibet, which
was a favourite of Helen Blavatsky.

A number of hierarchical mystery orders sprung up in which
messages from the Masters would be relayed on pin-pricked
tissue papers.

In general I think the better the donation, the more encouraging
the messages became.

Shangri-La was a similar mythos developed by the novelist
James Hilton. I think the book and movies were called The Lost
Horizon? :rolleyes:

I believe you are referring to The Smoky God the written by Willis Emerson.

Agharta and its capitol, Shamballah, are traditional Buddhist concepts which have found their way into all kinds of occult and paranormal lore. For example some people claim that Agharta has entrances all over the world and is the home of UFOs.

Searching the web for 'Agharta' turns up mostly sites about a game called 'Agharta: The Hollow Earth' but here is one that might be of interest:

http://members.tripod.com/XianRex/hollow/part8.htm

A good book, if you can find a copy anywhere, is This Hollow Earth by Eric Norman(1972). It details numerous 'underground realm' beliefs.

there's a book on this issue by a french writer, rené guenon. the title is, quite appropriately, "the king of the world". i would not define it the most entertaining book, but it's woth reading.

Interesting stuff.The reference to energy being drawn from the air corresponds with something which occurred 100 years after Jansens supposed stay in the underworld.Paul Villa,who claimed he was in regular contact with aliens and took some of the best UFO photographs ever,said that on one occasion he asked how were the craft propelled.The answer was "energy drawn from the air".Villas photos still have never shown to be faked and he possessed some remarkable knowledge of mechanics for an uneducated farmer from humble stock in rural USA.Apparently there are 3 entry points on the planet for aliens to access the interior of earth and sure enough one is supposed to be in the Himalayas.

Children's Hollow Earth Book

I can remember reading a children's book about a subteranian sociaty while at primery school.

all I can say about it is that it was published by Heinman (I think) and the main character remembers his experences in dreams at the mend of the book.

He is told to right down his dreams upon waking and one of the entries reads something like: 'going in throught the window.'

Can anyone help identifie this book?

Snowman X said:
Wasn't The Gnomids by W C Chalk was it?

Could be.

I was just hoping someone could identify it.

Thanks (I hope.)

Any required reading on Hollow Earth Theory?

Are there any good books on Hollow Earth Theory? Particularly on the history of the thing, how people came to believe it, who the main players were etc., where it originated and so on and so on...

Bear with me folks, as I'm relatively new to this Fortean lark, but I found a book on Amazon which doesn't look too bad...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...35638/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3_3/202-9406220-1547023

Anyone read the above book?

The only reading you'll ever have to do on Hollow Earth Theo

"Its retarded."

I'm a bad Fortean, aren't I.

couldn't help but notice this on that amazon page

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0953881024/ref=pd_sim_b_dp/202-8790013-3316624

Icke gets everywhere, it's a plot I tells ya!

But slightly on topic, I've been trying to remember the titles of the books from the late seventies/early eighties which fictionalised some of the hollow earth ideas into one big conspiracy theory. As I recall they were mainly based around Nazi/Alien collaboration at the north pole.

There's the book by Joscelyn Godwin, 'Arktos: The Polar Myth in Science, Symbolism, and Nazi Survival. I haven't read this book for quite some time, but IIRC it may have some info about Hollow Earth theories (although it's principle line of investigation is Nazi ideas and theories about polar myths).

Re: The only reading you'll ever have to do on Hollow Earth

Piscez said:
"Its retarded."

Well, I can't argue with that. Whilst I find the idea of a whole world within a world somewhat unbelievable, it -- for some reason -- amuses me, and I just wanna find out more. ;)

unicycle said:
couldn't help but notice this on that amazon page

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0953881024/ref=pd_sim_b_dp/202-8790013-3316624

Icke gets everywhere, it's a plot I tells ya!

But slightly on topic, I've been trying to remember the titles of the books from the late seventies/early eighties which fictionalised some of the hollow earth ideas into one big conspiracy theory. As I recall they were mainly based around Nazi/Alien collaboration at the north pole.

I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere on these forums, but I wonder... at what time did Icke go "wrong"? He used to be a pretty normal fella from what I remember...

unicycle said:

Is it Circumpolar by Richard A Lupoff, you're thinking of?

From Starburst 88, 1985

This Earth resembles a squashed doughnut, a cunning compromise between reality and famous dotty theories. Instead of the North Pole, there's the hole in the doughnut, through which explorers hope to fly to the uncharted flipside. Instead of Antarctica, there's a world-circling rim-wall of ice, over the edge of which other explorers plan to make it in their trusty monoplane.

Tongue tucked in cheek, Lupoff gives due credit to his highly scientific sources. The hole in the middle is Symmes's Hole: yes, there was a Symmes early last century, and he really believed his perforated-Arctic theory. SF fans remember him fondly as the man who minted the pole with the hole. Somehow his name gets confused with Poe's fictional Antarctic explorer, Arthur Gordon Pym (or Pymmes). Also on the other side are the Greeks' legendary river-sea Okeanos, and the lost land of Mu -- complete with a technology of Mysterious Magnetic Energies. Yes, this book could set SF back sixty years.

There's also a plot. Those magnificent men (and token women) in their flying machines are racing to traverse Earth's flipside. The good guys: Charles Lindbergh, Howard Hughes and Amelia Earhart aboard the monoplane Spirit of San Diego. In the black corner: the hissable Von Richthofen brothers and a Russian princess, whose sinister victory plan involves multi-engined planes and portable Zeppelins.

I read 'This Hollow Earth' by Warren Smith when I was about 13 and believed it!

It's great! It's got everything, including; ufo's from holes in the poles, the Thule Society, Shamballah, Hitler's search for lost Tibetan kingdoms, Vril power, the Golden Dawn, and ends with the Teachings of the Cave Masters...follow these and salvation is ours! :p

It's a right laugh!:D

A half decent book on gravitation would be a good start, as this would help to rule out the classical hollow earth model where the inhabitants wander around on the inner surface of a hollow sphere. ;)

I went into this in a bit more detail on one of the Icke threads, but cant find it right now. :)

If you've not read it already, FT 153 has several pages dedicated to The Hollow Earth Theory as proposed by John Cleve Symmes (1780-1829). Pretty good...

The book sold at http://www.hollowplanets.com is probably the most scientifically grounded. You can read excerpts at the site. They also are putting together an expedition to Crocker Land and/or Bradley Land, or at least were as of Jan 2002.

Some Influential Works of Fiction

Early work of a science fiction/fantasy nature (1871), about a race of superior and rather boring beings, living in immense caverns under England:
Vril: The Power Of The Coming Race, By Sir Edward Bulwer-Lytton

First book (First published as a serial, 1914), of Edgar Rice-Burroughs influential series on the domain at the Earth's core, Pellucidar:
At The Earth's Core By Edgar Rice-Burroughs

Tarzan even made it in 1930! Not the book I'm afraid: Tarzan At The Earth's Core

carole said:
Brinsley le Poer Trench was a Hollow Earth believer.

Carole

I read one of his books back in the seventies.Was it UFOS from inside the earth?It blew my young mind.Had a chapter on the men in black.It was my first introduction to the world of strange phenomena been hooked ever since.Does any one know anything about him? I must confess my ignorance

Tam said:
Does any one know anything about him? I must confess my ignorance

I only know what most people know about him: he was Lord Clancarty. His maiden speech in the House of Lords was in a debate on UFOs.

My dad had a book by him called something like "The Space People". Its cheerfully bonkers tone made a great impression on my teenaged mind.

Dynosaw said:
I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere on these forums, but I wonder... at what time did Icke go "wrong"? He used to be a pretty normal fella from what I remember...

I think it was when he went on "Wogan" wearing a turquoise shell suit, and said he was the son of god.

Expedition to the hollow Earth!

(I couldn't find a general hollow Earth thread, and this didn't seem like a exact match with any of the related H.E. threads. So I'm putting it here. Merge as neccessary.)

Voyage to Our Hollow Earth

Would you be interested in a once-in-a-lifetime chance to discover Our Hollow Earth first hand? If so, we invite you to join us for an expedition to the North Pole with Steve Currey, one of the leading river explorers in the world!

Indigenous Eskimos believe that there is a hole in the Artic Ocean and observations by several Artic explorers, who claim to have seen mirages of exposed land near the North Pole, indicate that the most plausible location for an opening is located at 84.4 N Latitude, 141 E Longitude.

Steve Currey's Expedition Company has chartered the Russian Nuclear IceBreaker YAMAL, to take 100 adventurers to the North Pole for an expedition to conduct scientific observations that could resolve once and for all whether the Hollow Earth theories have any validity!

Departure date is scheduled for June 26, 2005
read more

Hmmmm, Provo, Utah, eh? I didn't know Mormons had an interest in a hollow Earth.

Hmm I can't remember the exact details, but that reads very similar to an article that was printed in a newspaper at the turn of the last centuary.

I'll see if google can help find what I mean....

Edit: Got the date wrong, I think the article has some thing to do with a man called Symmes in 1821. :)

I sure hope they can get Doug McClure off the Land That Time Forgot this time..... (I love those lost dinosaur movies...)

Fascinating stuff, really.

It seems that icebreaker gets chartered out to go to the north pole quite a lot. I've met three people who've been up there on it, and while none of them mentioned the hollow earth, I am told one gets the opportunity to take a quick dip at the pole, followed by vodka shots.
My hollow earth expedition will feature Pat Boone, a Swedish guy with a pet duck, and a mad poisoner, exactly as in the film, descending through a semi-dormant volcano... I'll begin selling spots as soon as I can find a duck up to the challenge. :hmph:

Anyway, it's gonna be a great adventure. I wish them luck, even if I don't believe in the hollow Earth theory.

Back