• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

World's Oldest Parents

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
In contrast to the world's youngest mother:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12669

People who are still able to put a bun in the oven despite advancing years. I remember there being a greta list on this in the Book of Lists.

Woman has first baby at 62

May 7, 2004

A 62-year-old Indian woman has reportedly given birth to a baby boy through a donor egg, becoming one of the world's oldest first-time mothers.

Retired schoolteacher Bhavani Amma, who'd long wanted a child, told the Press Trust of India that to have her own baby in her hands is the cherished moment in my life.

The news agency reports that Amma gave birth to the 1.35 kilogram baby by Caesarean section on April 12 at the Samad hospital in Trivandrum, capital of Kerala state on India's southern tip.

Doctor Sathy Pillai says an egg had been donated and fertilised before being implanted into Amma, who was past the menopause.

The world's oldest woman to give birth is believed to be a 65-year-old Indian, in April 2003.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/06/1083635279487.html

Knock me up Scotty

And, of course the most famous recent case:

Friday, 4 February, 2000, 12:30 GMT

Scotty to beam up a baby

Star Trek veteran James Doohan is preparing to boldly go where few men of his age have gone before - into fatherhood.

It is reported that the 79-year-old, who played chief engineer Scotty in the cult 60s science fiction TV series, and six Star Trek films, is to be a father again.

Doohan and his 43-year-old wife Wende, who already have two sons aged 23 and 21, are expecting their new baby in April.

The actor, who celebrates his 80th birthday on 3 March, already has four children from previous marriages.

Family record

Fathering children in old age ran in his family - his grandfather was 72 when his mother was born.

He told the Daily Mail: "I thought it was incredible, but now I'm going to beat the family record.

"When the baby is born, I'll be 80 years and one month old. It's absolutely fantastic."

Doohan, who met Wende 25 years ago when she asked him for an autographed photograph, says he's not daunted by the birth.

"I'm a little slower than I used to be, but I don't have any aches or pains and we're planning to give the baby all the love in the world."

Canadian-born Doohan, who still acts in TV, films and commercials, shot to fame as engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott in 1966, when the original Star Trek series was launched.

A former Captain in the Royal Canadian Artillery and D-Day veteran, he was given an honorary degree in engineering by the Milkwaukee School of Engineering where apparently half of the students polled said they were inspired to study engineering by his role in Star Trek.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/630883.stm

Interesting about it running in the family (as it were).

Emps

Tony Randall died? I wasn't aware of that.

It's not exactly fair to the children to have such old parents, IMO; is a 60-something woman in India likely to see them grow up? My parents were in their 40s when they had me (I'm the youngest of 4) and frankly I don't think they were really up to having another toddler around. Not that I had any choice in the matter.

Romanian, 67, pregnant with twins

Romanian, 67, pregnant with twins
Romanian doctors say a 67-year-old woman is seven months pregnant with twin girls after fertility treatment.
If the pregnancy comes to full term, it is believed that Adriana Iliescu, an author and academic, will become the oldest recorded mother.

Mrs Iliescu told local television she had always wanted to be a mother but had been unable to conceive naturally.

She says she is optimistic about her future as a mother, claiming her family has a history of longevity.

Last year, a 65-year-old Indian woman gave birth to a boy.

Schoolteacher Satyabhama Mahapatra from Nayagarh in Orissa had been impregnated with an egg from her 26-year-old niece that had been fertilised by her husband.

It was the first child for Ms Mahapatra and her husband who had been married for 50 years.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/w ... 133693.stm

Published: 2004/12/29 22:08:09 GMT

© BBC MMIV

How many people would be eager to announce to workmates, partners or friends that they were born when their parents were in their 50's or 60's?

It's alleged that the elderly mothers/mothers-to-be claimed they'd 'always wanted a baby' (at an age when most people decide not to get another pet out of consideration for the fate of the animal, should they die before it).

And they say younger generations indulge in Me-ism !

Undertaking inappropriate activity in old-age is fine ... as long as yours is the only life affected. Take up sky-diving or caving or alligator wrestling.

Sorry .. the thought of a fresh new soul being squeezed out of a wrinkly old body is simply revolting and unnatural. The doctors involved must be seriously deranged.

Romanian woman gives birth at 67
Romanian hospital officials say a 67-year-old woman in Bucharest has given birth to a baby girl.
Adriana Iliescu, who had undergone fertility treatment for nine years before becoming pregnant, is thought to be the oldest recorded mother.

The girl was born prematurely by Caesarean section after her twin sister died in the womb, the hospital said.

Mrs Iliescu told local television she had always wanted to be a mother but had been unable to conceive naturally.

A spokeswoman at the Giulesti Maternity Hospital in Bucharest said the surviving infant weighed just 1.4kg (3lb) and was still in intensive care, but breathing normally.

"The mother is doing well. She is saying she has been given a new lease of life," the spokeswoman said, according to the Associated Press news agency.

Mrs Iliescu, a retired university professor, was interviewed by Realitatea TV last month.

She told the station she was optimistic about her future as a mother, claiming her family had a history of longevity.

In 2003, a 65-year-old Indian woman gave birth to a boy.

Schoolteacher Satyabhama Mahapatra from Nayagarh in Orissa had been impregnated with an egg from her 26-year-old niece that had been fertilised by her husband.

It was the first child for Ms Mahapatra and her husband, who had been married for 50 years.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/w ... 179057.stm

Published: 2005/01/16 13:04:12 GMT

© BBC MMV
[/quote]

Doctors: 67-Year-Old Serbian Not Pregnant

May 3, 4:28 PM (ET)

LESKOVAC, Serbia-Montenegro (AP) - Doctors say a 67-year-old Serbian woman, who claimed she was expecting her first baby, is not pregnant, a news agency reported Tuesday.

Zlatija Jovic, from Gornje Brijanje village in central Serbia, last week told a local television station that she expected to give birth in July - raising the possibility of a record for her age.

But on Tuesday doctors examined Jovic and determined that she was not pregnant despite enlarged stomach and other symptoms of pregnancy, the private Beta news agency reported.

"The situation is clear, she is not pregnant," physician Dragan Todorovic, who examined Jovic, was quoted as saying. "It is a fake pregnancy which is rare among (elderly) women. The symptoms of pregnancy were probably caused by her great desire to have children."

Jovic was not available for comment, but the doctor said she was in shock after hearing the news, according to the report.

"She went silent for half an hour," Todorovic was quoted as saying. "When she spoke, I could see she was fighting emotions."

Jovic and her husband, Miodrag, 53, were hoping for a son, earlier media reports said.

The couple first married 30 years ago, but then divorced. Miodrag Jovic had two other marriages, and fathered a daughter, who has two children herself.

Zlatija Jovic remained single until remarrying Miodrag nine years ago.

In January, a 66-year-old woman in neighboring Romania became possibly the world's oldest mother. But that case has been overshadowed by an ethics investigation into her obstetrician's decision to perform in-vitro fertilization to enable the pregnancy.

Source

An interesting article, full story here.

Both my paternal and maternal great-grandparents, grandparents and even my own mother who gave birth to me at 47, carried on extending their families well past the age of 45. My grandmother gave birth to my one aunt at 50 and so on. It's not something I really want to think about though.

Although I'm grateful to be here, talking about my parents getting jiggy with it is not something I want to dwell on :cross eye

Genes help women over 45 conceive
By Michelle Roberts
BBC News health reporter in Copenhagen

Scientists have identified a genetic profile that appears to enable women over 45 to conceive naturally.
A team from Israel's Hadassah University Hospital believe the discovery could help improve fertility treatment for older women.

They told a major European fertility conference how eight Ashkenazi Jewish women who had babies naturally later in life all shared the special genes.[...]

To date, the oldest woman recorded to have a baby was a 66-year-old woman from Romania.

However, she underwent fertility treatment for nine years before becoming pregnant.

[...]

Here's a different angle on old parents:
Bride given away by mother, 101

A North Derbyshire woman has been given away at her church wedding by her 101-year-old mother.
Hazel Smith, 68, had known her groom John, a 70-year-old retired farmer, for years but their romance only got under way last year.

The couple tied the knot in their home town of Holmsfield on Saturday.

Mr Smith said his new mother-in-law Edna Sharcroft felt it was her duty to give her daughter away as other family members were not available.

Mrs Sharcroft said: "It was a pleasure to give Hazel to John and everything went very nicely."

The new Mrs Smith said she felt "happy, excited" and her husband said it had been a wonderful day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derb ... 710284.stm

I now see we have two threads on older parents: the other is:-
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25030

A case for mergerisation, methinks! 8)

My father was 57 when I was born. I had a step brother who'll be around 60 now (he died of a lung disease). He was in a very good shape, but never to be a match for a hiperactive kid. Really, I feel for those old parents, since having a kid can be a tiring, albeit beautiful experience.

Calif. Woman, 62, Gives Birth to Baby Boy

By The Associated Press Sat Feb 18, 11:43 PM ET

REDDING, Calif. - A 62-year-old woman gave birth Friday to a healthy 6-pound, 9-ounce baby boy, becoming one of the oldest women in the world to successfully bear a child.
ADVERTISEMENT

Janise Wulf gave birth to her 12th child. She is also a grandmother of 20 and a great-grandmother of three.

Family members said the delivery went smoothly, despite earlier concerns about the mother's health. Wulf, a diabetic, experienced swelling and higher blood pressure earlier this week, prompting doctors to perform the Caesarean section a week early.

Wulf and her third husband, Scott, 48, named the red-haired boy Adam Charles Wulf. He follows just 3 1/2 years behind his older brother, Ian.

"I hate to raise one alone, without a sibling," said Wulf, who was impregnated both times through in vitro fertilization.

The oldest woman on record to give birth is a 66-year-old Adriana Iliescu of Romania, who had a Caesarean section Jan. 15, 2005.

The Guinness Book of World Records also lists two 63-year-old women who have given birth: Rosanna Della Corte of Italy in 1994 and Acheli Keh of California in 1996. News reports, however, list Della Corte's age at 62 when she gave birth.

Link

And we have a winner:

67-year-old Spaniard gives birth to twins

POSTED: 7:52 p.m. EST, December 30, 2006

MADRID, Spain (AP) -- A 67-year-old Spanish woman became the world's oldest mother after she gave birth to twins in the northern city of Barcelona on Saturday, a hospital official said.

The woman, whose identity has not been revealed by Sant Pau hospital, gave birth by Caesarian section on Saturday, having previously undergone in vitro fertilization in the United States, according to the national news agency EFE.

Originally from the southern region of Andalucia, the new mother chose the Barcelona hospital because it specializes in high-risk births.

The mother and twins are all doing well, though the babies are both in incubators, a hospital spokeswoman said. The hospital did not reveal the gender of the twins.

The previous holder of the oldest-mother record was 66-year-old Romanian citizen Adriana Iliescu, who gave birth to baby Eliza Maria in January 2005.

--------
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.

www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/12/30/old ... index.html

My physician keeps telling me that "60 is the new 40 and 80 the new 60," and a good friend was recently told the same thing by his doctor.

If that's so, doesn't it also extend to sexual fertility?

In other words, is our 62-year-old Italian mother biologically 42?

P. S. I remember a woman from my small home town who gave birth age at 54. This was around 1953 or 1954.

World's oldest mother 'thought it was cancer'
By Sophie Borland
Last Updated: 1:41pm BST 09/09/2007

The world's oldest natural mother has told for the first time the astonishing story of how she fell pregnant at the age of 58.

Dawn Brooke has revealed how she initially feared that the aches, cravings and feelings of exhaustion were the signs of cancer.

The retired civil servant, now 69, said that she was so worried about her health that she rushed home from a holiday in America to have urgent hospital checks.

The tests revealed that she was actually 16 weeks pregnant making her the oldest woman on record to have conceived naturally.

Mrs Brooke, who is married to Ray, 74, a former businessman, said: "I just thought I'm a 58-year-old woman, this can't be happening. I feared the worst.

"The word cancer shot into my mind because I was at an age where unexplained symptoms can be extremely serious.

"I'd rushed home from a holiday in America desperate to know what was wrong with me and faced an and agonising wait."

Later that year she gave birth to a healthy baby boy called Harry, who turned 10 last month. He has been brought up by the couple at their £1 million home in Guernsey and goes to school on the island.

Mrs Brooke, who has two grown-up children from a previous marriage, said: "We never dreamed there would be an addition to the family but I'll never forget the feeling of looking into my baby boy's blue eyes after giving birth.

"There were no regrets then or since."

As she looks very young for her age, she was able to keep the fact that she was the oldest natural mother a secret from the media for more than a decade.

Her story only came to light last month and immediately attracted global interest.

Mrs Brooke, who previously worked as a secretary for the Foreign Office, said: "I kept myself to myself because I knew the pregnancy was a big deal and I felt embarrassed. Very few people knew of the unusual nature of the pregnancy because people always presumed, and still do, that I'm a lot younger than my age.

"And I never disagreed with it."

Despite her age and the associated health complications that could have occurred during the pregnancy, Harry John was born on August 20 1997 weighing a healthy 9lb.

Mrs Brooke gave birth by Caesarean but did not require any other special treatment beforehand.

She added: "In fact it was a very easy pregnancy. I wasn't sick and I didn't have any made cravings."

"I get upset when I think that I might not watch him get married, see his children."

The couple are fully aware that they will miss much of Harry's adult life and have set up a special trust fund in case they die before he reaches the age of 18.

Since Mrs Brooke gave birth, several other older woman have fallen pregnant following IVF treatment.

The world's oldest mother is Carmela Bousada, from Barcelona, Spain, who gave birth in December seven days before her 67th birthday.

She had lied to doctors about her age in order to undergo the fertility treatment. The oldest mother in Britain is Patricia Rashbrook, who gave birth last July at the age of 62 following IVF.

http://tinyurl.com/3xn82a

My parents were 45 and 52 when I was born.

Couldn't decide whether to put this on the "Twins" or "Growing Old" thread
- so I put it here!

Manfred Mann star has mighty twins
Last Updated: 2:10am GMT 28/11/2007

The lead singer of 1960s chart-toppers Manfred Mann has become a father of twins at the age of 63.

Mike d'Abo, 63, and his wife Lisa with their twins
Ella and Louis. 'It's like a miracle,' he said

Mike d'Abo, of Stroud, Gloucs, is celebrating the birth of a boy and a girl after having a vasectomy reversed.

D'Abo, who sang on the 1968 number one hit Mighty Quinn, said yesterday that twins Ella and Louis were a "miracle" after he and his wife Lisa, 41, had spent 15 years trying for children.

The couple married 11 years ago after meeting at a radio station in Bristol.

D'Abo said he hoped to stay fit enough to see the twins, born at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, grow into adulthood.

"We got the shock of our lives when we were told it was twins," he said. "It's like a miracle.

"We'd been trying to start a family for 15 years and we wouldn't have had many more chances.

"I hope to be very much around for them into adulthood.

"We're fit and active and healthy, and in those circumstances your age is just a number.

"Louis responds to my singing hugely. If he's playing up and I come out with one of my repertoire of songs, it will quieten him down."

The father of five co-wrote Build Me Up Buttercup and sang on seven of Manfred Mann's 13 top 10 hits.

http://tinyurl.com/22se7g

Woman, 57, thought she had cancer - until doctors told her she was 30 weeks pregnant. Now she'll give birth in days
By BETH HALE and HELEN WEATHERS
Last updated at 15:47pm on 22nd March 2008

A woman of 57 with suspected ovarian cancer was in fact expecting her first baby.

Susan Tollefsen feared the worst when she was sent to hospital for a scan on her growing bump.

But the sonographer told her: "Congratulations, you're almost 30 weeks pregnant."

She will become one of Britain's oldest mothers when she has a caesarean section next week.

The remarkable story, which she describes as an Easter miracle, follows-several years of attempts to have a baby by IVF treatment at foreign clinics.

The special needs teacher and her partner Nick Mayer, who is 11 years her junior, thought their final hope had been dashed last August when she suffered what appeared to be a miscarriage.

Yesterday they told the Mail their remarkable story as MS Tollefsen describes the baby girl she is due to have this Easter as a "miracle".

Not only is she about to become a first-time mother at the age of 57, but she found out she was pregnant just eight weeks ago.

Referred to hospital as an emergency after a physical examination by a private GP had revealed a "hard abdominal mass", she had been bracing herself for the worst.

Clutching a paper with the suspected diagnosis "Ovarian Cancer?????" on it, she burst into tears as she waited for a scan.

"I was lying on the examination table thinking, 'I'm going to die' when the sonographer turned round to me and said 'Congratulations'," says Susan.

"My initial reaction was to think, 'What a terrible way to tell me I've got ovarian cancer'. When he then said, 'You're pregnant' I was literally speechless.

"I still couldn't believe it when he showed me the screen and said, 'Here's the head, here are the arms and here are the legs'. I was even more shocked when they told me I was almost 30 weeks gone."

The astonishing news was given to her at the private Nuffield Hospital in Brentwood, Essex.

Susan adds: "While I'd been waiting for the scan I'd phoned Nick at work in tears and said, 'You'd better get over here, they think I've got ovarian cancer'.

"When he arrived after the scan I had to say to him, 'Sit down while I make you a coffee. You are going to need it. I'm pregnant.'

"First he was stunned and then he burst into tears. He was thrilled. It was the very last thing we'd both been expecting."

The pregnancy, confirmed on January 24, is the result of Susan and Nick's third and last attempt to become parents through IVF treatment using donor eggs.

When Susan started haemorrhaging within four weeks of two fertilised embryos being implanted at a Russian fertility clinic, she went to her GP who, she says, told her she had miscarried.

A blood test and a home pregnancy test appeared to confirm this by showing negative.

Although she carried on bleeding heavily - which eventually led her to believe she was seriously ill rather than pregnant - she now believes she miscarried one of twins while the other managed to survive.

Today, the couple's home in Romford is filled with baby paraphernalia and an air of nervous excitement as they count off the last few days to next week's elective caesarean which will bring their daughter - already named Freya - into the world.

There are, of course, the obvious concerns about Susan becoming a mother at such an advanced age but the couple's greater worry is for Freya's health, given the problematic pregnancy.

"We are terribly excited about having our first baby but also very nervous about whether she will be all right," says Susan, who has worked in education since 1975, first as a special-needs teacher and then as an adviser on behavioural issues.

"All the scans have shown that she is developing normally but we won't know for sure until she is born.

"In the first few months of the pregnancy we went through some very stressful times. Our house flooded and the ceilings fell down, so there was a lot of heavy physical work.

"I was eating whatever I wanted and taking strong painkillers for my bad back.

"I was prescribed antibiotics when I went down with a chest infection and also progesterone, because I was bleeding heavily and the doctor thought it would correct over-production of oestrogen caused by the IVF treatment.

"So of course when I found out I was pregnant my first thought was, 'Is the baby going to be OK?'

"When I asked the doctors what would happen if there was something seriously wrong with her, I was told, 'Well it's too late now. You are 30 weeks pregnant. You'll have to go through the birth and then decide if you want her adopted if she is disabled.'

"That is a very frightening thing to be told and I was particularly worried by the prescription drugs I'd taken during the early months.

"But the doctors didn't seem too worried and we are just hoping the scans, which indicate she is normal, are right.

"Nature never ceases to amaze me. I'm astounded that Freya survived all the things that were happening in my life. It must have been meant to be."

London-born Susan, daughter of an English mother and Norwegian father, says she always dreamed of having children but circumstances conspired against it.

Her four-year marriage to Bruno, an Italian restaurateur, ended in divorce in 1984 before they had even had a chance to think about children.

...article continues
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/f ... ge_id=1879

That's a lovely story.

I'm so happy for them, I hope everything is ok.

Marquess of Bath 'to be a father' at age of 76
By Gordon Rayner, Chief Reporter
Last Updated: 4:53PM BST 26/06/2008

The Marquess of Bath - nicknamed The Loins of Longleat - may be about to become a father again at the age of 76, it has emerged.
Amanda Doyle, 41, one of Lord Bath's numerous 'wifelets', is four months pregnant and is adamant Lord Bath is the father.

The Old Etonian aristocrat, however, has so far refused to confirm the paternity of Miss Doyle's baby, who would have a claim on his £120 million fortune.

Despite supporting a harem of women, some of whom live on his 10,000 acre Longleat estate, Lord Bath has so far fathered only three children; Ceawlin, Viscount Weymouth, 34, and Lady Lenka, 38, both by his wife Anna Gael, who lives in Paris; and an illegitimate daughter born nine years ago who he supports financially.

Miss Doyle, a music producer who has a teenage daughter from a previous relationship and lives in Islington, North London, said: "Yes, I am pregnant. Alexander (Bath) is the father. Of course, I am delighted."

Lord Bath was rather less equivocal, saying: "I am not going to make any comment."

Miss Doyle, who calls herself The Loiness of Longleat, would be entitled to ask Lord Bath to take a paternity test if the couple cannot agree on who the baby's father is.

Lord Bath, who is surely the country's most eccentric aristocrat, claims to have had up to 75 'wifelets' over the years, though he admits that some of his mistresses have been little more than one-night stands. A staircase at Longleat bears portraits of 71 of them, painted by Lord Bath himself.

In an interview last year he complained that he only had two wifelets left, though he said he was on the lookout for more.

His quirks are not confined to his personal life – he is also a passionate advocate of regional devolution and in 1974 he stood, unsuccessfully, for parliament in an attempt to make Wessex a devolved region of the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2199934 ... of-76.html

And we have a winner ...

Well, she was the apparent winner at the time of that posting ...

Here's the details on her, her pregnancy, and her death ...

Maria del Carmen Bousada de Lara called Carmela Bousada (b. January 5, 1940, d. July 11, 2009, age 69), from Cadix, Spain, gave birth to twin sons, Pau and Christian, at Sant Pau Hospital in Barcelona, Spain, on December 29, 2006, at the age of 66 years, 11 months, and 24 days — one week before her 67th birthday. The babies were delivered prematurely by Caesarean section and weighed 3.5 lb (1.6 kg) each. M.C. Bousada became pregnant after receiving IVF treatment with oocytes donation and two sperm donors selected from a catalog from a fertility clinic in Los Angeles, California, which claims that Bousada informed them that she was 55 (their maximum age for IVF treatment). Her family was unaware that she had gone to the United States to undergo fertility treatment prior to the births, and thought she was joking when she told them she was pregnant. Manuel Bousada de Lara, Maria del Carmen's older brother, criticized her decision, expressing concern over whether she would be able to raise children at her age. In response to such concerns, Bousada stated, "My mum lived to be 101 and there's no reason I couldn't do the same".

Maria died on July 11, 2009 from stomach cancer, which she developed soon after giving birth to her twins; her sons were only 2 ½ years old then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnancy_over_age_50

In the 11+ years since Maria del Carmen Bousada de Lara's giving birth at almost 67 years of age, there have been other women who've pushed the known age limit even higher.

This Indian woman claimed an age of 70 at the time of childbirth, but her clinic gave her age as 72.

India Daljinder Kaur gave birth to a son, Arman, on April 19, 2016, after nearly five decades of marriage and two unsuccessful IVF tries. Kaur stated her age as 70 at the time of birth, but the clinic where she had IVF treatments stated she was 72

SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnancy_over_age_50

Here's a more detailed account ...

Woman in her 70s may be oldest ever to give birth
A woman in India could make the record books as one of the oldest ever to give birth.

Daljinder Kaur, who's believed to be at least 70 years old, gave birth to a son named Arman (meaning "wish" in Hindi) on April 19. The baby was the first for Kaur and her 79-year-old husband, Mohinder Singh Gill, after nearly five decades of marriage.

"I feel blessed to be able to hold my own baby. I had lost hope of becoming a mother ever," said Kaur, who underwent two years of IVF treatment and had two failed attempts earlier.

"Everyone asked me to adopt a baby, but I never wanted to. I had faith in Almighty, and knew I will bear my child one day," The Times of India quoted Kaur.

The baby, Arman, is healthy, according to reports.

Daljinder Kaur says she is 70 years old. But the clinic in the Indian state of Haryana, National Fertility and Test Tube Baby Centre, which helped Kaur become pregnant, put her age at 72. Many people in India, particularly those now over 50, don't know their exact age because they don't have birth certificates.

In 2006, another Indian woman, Rajo Devi, gave birth to a daughter at the age of 70, after treatment at the same clinic. If Kaur is 72, as the clinic claims, she would be the oldest woman in the world to give birth to a baby. ...

SOURCE: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-in-her-70s-may-be-oldest-ever-to-give-birth/

Incredible.

This just in (or "out", perhaps ... ) ... A 73 year old woman in India has given birth to twins.
Indian woman gives birth to twins at age of 73

A 73-year-old woman in India has given birth to twin girls.

Erramatti Mangayamma, a farmer from the southern state of Andhra Pradesh, is believed to be the oldest person ever to give birth.
She became pregnant through IVF and doctors delivered the babies via caesarian section Thursday.

"The surgery went well ... the mother and the babies are all healthy with no complications," Dr. Sanakayyala Umashankar, the director of Ahalya IVF, who performed the C-section, told CNN.

Mangayamma and her husband, 80-year-old E. Raja Rao, have been married since 1962 but had never been able to conceive naturally. They approached Umashankar in 2018 and, after preliminary tests were promising, the doctor agreed to give them one round of IVF treatment.

Given Mangayamma's age, the doctors performed a C-section and will keep her under observation for the next 21 days. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/06/health/india-woman-73-gives-birth-scli-intl/index.html

I'm sure the same caveats as above apply to the age of the latest claimant.

Late child-bearing, as a competitive-sport, seems a bit of a forlorn hobby, while child-rearing is such a rare skill, across the board. :thought:

This is the oldest known Chinese woman to give birth ... I notice this news article states Erramatti Mangayamma of India (see above) was 74 rather than 73 at the time she gave birth to twins.
Chinese woman gives birth at the age of 67

A 67-year-old woman in China has become the oldest person in the country to give birth after having a baby girl.

The woman, a retired nurse identified by the surname Tian, had her baby via cesarean section at the Zaozhuang Maternity and Child Health Hospital in Shandong Province on Friday.

Tian, who underwent unspecified traditional Chinese fertility treatments prior to the pregnancy, became the oldest person in the country to give birth, beating out a 64-year-old woman who gave birth in Jilin Province in 2016.

Tian and her husband named their new daughter Tianci, which translates to "given by god."

The couple already have two adult children and multiple grandchildren, the oldest of whom is 18.

Tian's husband, Huang, said both of the parents are in good health and he said they plan to live to be 110 years old to watch their daughter grow up.

The world record holder for oldest mother belongs to Erramatti Mangayamma of India, who gave birth to twin girls at the age of 74.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...es-birth-at-the-age-of-67/3111572361906/?sl=1

This isn't a world record, but I'd venture to guess it's the Nigerian record ...
68-year-old woman gives birth to twins in Nigeria

A Nigerian hospital announced a 68-year-old woman has given birth to twins after three previous IVF procedures were unsuccessful.

The Lagos University Teaching Hospital announced Margaret Adenuga gave birth to a boy and a girl via caesarian section after 37 weeks of pregnancy.

The hospital said the babies were delivered April 14, but officials waited to announce the news to give the mother and newborns time to recuperate.

Adenuga's husband, Noah, 77, said the couple married in 1974 and have long aspired to have children, but three previous rounds of IVF treatments were unsuccessful.

Dr. Adeyemi Okunowo, who presided over the delivery, said a team of specialists was assembled to monitor the pregnancy and assist with the birth.

"As an elderly woman and a first-time mother, it was a high-risk pregnancy and also because she was going to have twins but we were able to manage her pregnancy to term," Okunowo told CNN.

A 73-year-old Indian woman who gave birth to twin girls in 2019 is believed to be the oldest person to carry a child to term.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...ives-birth-to-twins-in-Nigeria/6781587662664/

Move this if you think there is a better thread to put it in.
I tried looking for 'old actor parent' and variations of it, but to no avail.
So it's landing here.

Is it only me that suspects that someone else has been messing with his missus?
Al Pacino: The Godfather star expecting fourth child aged 83.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65764387

Back